Oshur: beatiful but gameplay is awful

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by InexoraVC, Jan 27, 2022.

1. InexoraVC

Oshur is beatiful. Really. Rocks, buldings, water effects and so on are good. It would be nice to remove green-blue fog like Koltyr has.
    But!
    Gameplay is awful. Every fight ends with a spawn room camping. No enough points to spawn for defenders. Cant build a base with a spawn tube module because there are 20+ hesh mbts outside and there are no ways to exit the spawn room.
    No mountains - so no places to hide from skyguards when flying ESF. Skyguards are literally invincible because they can hide in water and no other tanks can destroy them.
    Router placement distance is limited to 500 m and bulding a router base isn't an option because it is too close to a frontline and will be destroyed in a few minutes.
    The only possible gameplay is zerging. Tank zerg + infantry zerg + few orbitals = victory. No tactics or skill required.
    Few of my teammates are about to leave planetside. By the way they have >130k kills each and play for 5-8 yrs

Thanks Wrel... :/
    • Up x 5
  2. Twin Suns

meh…. It’s a below average studio (RPG/DBG). What did you expect? Look at their track record.

Just some bandanna wearing scrubs running the studio into the ground. It wouldn’t surprise me if they introduce a big @?! submarine next. Call it the mega water pickle. LOL
    • Up x 1
  3. Demigan

Well no surprise there. The only surprise I'm having is that people think skyguards control everything there. Only if you are a scrub who hasnt learned how to do a half-decent A2G attack maybe. The sky is big (citation needed) and finding an aircraft in time is difficult... if that airplayer doesnt do the standard "just come from the same direction every time at about the same height" that every aircraft player has learned because G2A is so laughably weak in most cases.
    Try and approach from a different position, like the side or rear, but avoid the same approaches your allies use. Then try and approach from very high and very low. Both will help conceal you until its too late for the Skyguard to really stop you attacking something and getting away. Do it right and a Skyguard might not even know something was attacked before you get out of the area.
    • Up x 1
  4. krozerg

The worst part is it doesnt lock, and makes all the other continents low pop. Only back to the game for a few days on a new account after not playing for almost 10 years. Already just logging of to play other stuff because the options are Oshur or ghost capping bases with 4-5 player fights on the other continents.

Horrible map affecting every one that dislike it, weather you play oshur or not.
    • Up x 8
  5. IberianHusky

This has been my main problem. Oshur got old after a day because the whole continent is just zergs ghostcapping with 75% pop. The few good fights that do occur quickly devolve into boring zergfests. Ideally I'd like to just not play on Oshur, but outside of prime time the off continents are unplayable. Only thing I can really do is just leave the game for a few weeks until the new toy syndrome wears off and people come to terms with what a mess Oshur actually is.
    • Up x 6
  6. JustGotSuspended

Yeah idk why they continue adding empty bases for 'construction' when those things have never worked on any continent.
    • Up x 1
  7. Johannes Kaiser

That there are fewer lanes also very much empowers double-teaming, no matter who is doing it. Yesterday while I was on, VS and TR were fighting each other almost exclusively...right in front of the NC "warpgate" fleet, the rest of the territory saw no fighting whatsoever beyond the odd few blokes who didn't get the memo or something.
    Just to clarify: We were completely warpgated, the bases in front of it saw enemy pops of ~200 total, the rest of the continent was neatly split between the other two factions with little to no combat happening there.
  8. User8888

Gameplay on OSHUR is monotonous after 10-15 minutes I'm not interested anymore and other maps are dead. Probably things will get better after players will finish campaigns and start playing old maps.
    • Up x 6
  9. Twin Suns

Oh’sure. It’s like a super model. Looks hot, but is about as smart as a box of rocks and has the charisma of a potato.
    • Up x 5
  10. Pikachu

Where are the purple trees and rocks?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  11. JustGotSuspended

I would've added more places to fight underwater, since they added weapons and mechanics for that. Maybe add some water reservoirs or waterways inside some bases that add a layer to the fight. Maybe add some floodable rooms?

Idk it's a bit weird the only place where you fight underwater is to camp people doing the mission in that tunnel.
    • Up x 1
  12. VeryCoolMiller

probably Wrel demanded to be removed because he hate anything that is a bit different... like old hossin skybox
    • Up x 1
  13. Pikachu

Mmm... old green alien Hossin. Btw Oshur looks like just what people want. No fog, super bright nights and Earth like lighting.
    • Up x 1
  14. AuricStarSand

1) I fought past few days of high & low pop, and only experienced spawn room camping 1% of the time. At the Trident or mountain-underground-base. Other than that, most of the fights are outdoors, what are you smoking? I neither got spawn tube camped either, if your walls fell already than its over anyways. However the wall hp is fine, other items are more in question.

2) Mountains, I agree there. I would like mountains too. I like to build around mountains, not for OS reasons, just for extra nature walls / boulders hopefully. The sides of isles, the sand hills are barely good enough areas to hide. So, yes. Simply ask devs for high mountain updates. Added to 6 regions.

3) The router debate is on-going. The router nerf makes sense for Oshur & doesn't make sense for the other planets.

4) Zerging, 1st of all leading a huge zerg is / was fun. So idk why people bash that. Also theirs been more pop lately. The weekend just arrives now. Theirs plenty of 12vs12; 24vs24 fights if you don't want to attend the 48vs48; or 96vs96. As for zerg verse zerg, theirs strategies. If 1 enemy factions platoon is better. Than guess what, you have ask allies to do something else.

5) Replying to guy bashing the studio & submarines. I mentioned submarines the other day. Why not? Submarines are a option, for water warfare. If they add extra water regions to the outlines of the Oshur map. For a future update. I'd personally want a alien sailboat, would that make you quit the game too? lol. " Treasure Planet " ship.

6) Replying to " construction has never worked ". It's a easy fix for the devs. Maybe the next update. *New Infil spotting item to scout crouch cloakers*, *add hp to turrets, when outnumbered*, *add +30 min to alert timer*, *nerf glaive*, *new utility item for far range / if not routers anymore*, * new item supply modules that gives allied infantry a bazaooka to ward off enemy tanks, with* = done ez fix for silo defense gameplay.

7) Fight underwater. Yes many agree, with more reasons to fight underwater. Solution? New underwater base designs, for later. Flooded rooms sound super sweet. Dunkirk.

8) Purple rocks & trees, prettyyyy just keep asking devs for these, make it a meme.

P.s. Like it or not Oshur is going to provide more field fights, while the other 4 alerts are base oriented. However that doesn't mean, it doesn't need improvement. Or a few more regions worth of dev based bases (with tall mountains & purple trees).
    • Up x 1
  15. VeryCoolMiller

Oshur is currently a shooting range for sniper rifles and scout rifles.... while a Zerg of tanks run around levelling anything.

I don't really understand the choice of putting bases so far from each other . Years ago many players suggested to follow the strategy of Hossin, where you can run from a base to an another... Oshur goes in the opposite direction, demanding people to pull vehicles , forcing them in choke points and recreating the annoying zerg effect that lattice wanted to prevent.

It's like Wrel want to play a game no one else like, his personal game.

It's sad because from a graphical point Oshur is beautiful
  16. Twin Suns

Dat tunnel tho…. It’s like shooting cabbage.
    • Up x 2
  17. aversi0n

Imagine Hossin and Oshur would have been the only available continents, when PlanetSide 2 was released in 2012. Would it have been successful?

The developers try to go for variety in map layout, but this simply opens a can of worms regarding gameplay experience in a multilayered FPS, which PlanetSide 2 is like no other. They simply should have taken working continents like Esamir and Indar, slightly modify, give it a fresh visual setting, and bang, here is the new continent, almost every Planetside 2 player likes. It could have been so easy!
  18. Eberron101

Seems a bit drab to me. Also, small. I've not seen anyone using the water other than the odd tank here and there. Plus there's all sorts of bugs such as pain fields still affecting spawn rooms after you cap a base, tons of places where you can get stuck and whatnot. Not a fan of it.
  19. Mucro606

I love oshur. I think they could do more with the water though. I'd love to see some underground entrances to bases or something
    • Up x 1
  20. Peebuddy

I'm a very avid base builder and I'm absolutely loving the ability to construct around 90% of every capture point, they're even allowing construction around most dev designed bases. Being able to predict where an enemy force will come from, the ability to gather cortium in record time, and the priviledge to build so close to a hard spawn is amazing atm for me. I've set up some really neat "additions" to some of the tower bases, a simple secondary line of defense around a tower has shown to me at least that it can throw a monkey wrench into a zergs engine.

Because one of the many flaws player made bases had was the fact people would just "go-around" them, not so much on Oshur with its many bridges and funnels. That coupled with the fact that you can't ignore a PMB if it's ONTOP of the hardspawn, even your friendlies find themselves forced to defend your constructions if nothing else than to die on them like every other inch of Auraxus.

Oshur is a great case study, what happens if we do away with most of the base building restrictions. They're dipping their toes in the water if you don't mind my pun. I myself really hope they extend this to many bases outside of Oshur, Imagine the different fights we'd see at the crown if attackers and defenders could "siege" each others battlements. I'm really excited