Orion vs. 88 vs. Flare please describe

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by DemoEvolved, Dec 19, 2012.

1. DemoEvolved

Hey guys,

I can't seem to find clear info about the differences between these weapons. Not sure if the wiki is out of date or current.

Can someone who owns all three weapons give a clear comparison and recommended roles for the three guns?

I think MAYBE?

Orion == CQC but high recoil
    88 == Lower recoil -- but what is the clipsize, how does rof compare?
    Flare == More Damage than Orion? Clipsize?

Thanks in advance.
    Demo
  2. Steppa

SV-88 clip size is 75 with 300 in reserve (I think). I've been using it almost exclusively for about a week and have certed it up to include a compensator and a forward grip. A good CQC weapon (2x scope currently), a good medium weapon if you control your recoil and burst fire. Crap at long distance.
  3. Supercakers

I've been using the Flare quite a bit, and got a lot of the attachments for it. It doesn't have the fire rate of the Orion, but has larger clips, and has more max ammo. The Flare has a 75 round clip, and I think it's one of the only VS guns that can get the extended mag besides the Lasher, it goes up to 150 rounds per clip. This is very useful for suppressing doorways and other times as you hardly have to reload except when you are ready to, and as the enemies stream in you can pretty much fire non-stop for quite some time.

The Flare has a much slower fire rate than the Orion, but it has the highest (or had, not sure about new guns) damage per bullet of the VS lmg's. This makes it a good bit better at range, as damage will drop off slower compared to the other weapons. Especially when you factor that you can use high velocity ammo. The Flare also gets pretty much all the bells and whistles to customize with, up to a 6x scope, extended mag, both soft point and high velocity ammo. Also foregrip, laser sight (not that great), flash and regular suppressor and compensator.

I've been messing with the Suppressor + high velocity ammo at night, interesting combo. HVA keeps the ammo speed up, which is degraded from the suppressor. There is no muzzle flash, and you don't show up on the map at all when you fire. Your accuracy is best at close to mid range, at medium or beyond it really suffers, but short bursts are still a bit doable. It is really nice when you have some cover, as they can see by the damage indicator what general direction the damage is coming from, but they cannot pinpoint your location very easily at all. Plus you don't show up on the mini map at all, you will see people spin a lot trying to find you. It works *especially* well if you can get a height advantage.

Like the other LMG"s, with the Flare you want to aim around mid chest or neck, depending on the distance, start firing and pull your shots down a little, especially with that first shot. First shot recoil is sort of horrid on the LMG's, and nothing seems to mitigate it at all, not even compensators. Sorry to turn this into a book! I am really enjoying the Flare so far, it took me a little while to get used to it. Don't expect .5 second kills to the head like the super high rate of fire weapons. It is a solid gun, with a lot of customizability for different ranges and time of day etc. Just be prepared to get attachments, because its a bit underwhelming (as most weapons) without them.

-Supercakers - Connery
  4. MartianDiscoFish