Operating Temps - Palit GTX780 & i7-3970x

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by psyshow, Aug 24, 2013.

1. psyshow

HI all,

I hope someone can help here. I'm looking for a safe operating temperature for Palit GTX780 & i7-3970x. I haven't overclocked them (new rig and seem's to run fine with stock settings) and the Processor is water cooled with a corsair H100. I ran this game on an Alienware M17x R3 some months ago and remember this being very taxing on the CPU and GPU - to the point that whilst the laptop could run the game, it just couldn't cycle the heat out quick enough. With this current set-up I have now, what is a safe temperature to be running at for these please? Any help appreciated!
  2. BlackDove

Well, the 780 has one of the best reference coolers of any GPU ever, so it should be ok, as long as your fan curve is aggressive enough.

You might want to check this thread out. There is a long standing issue with the 2D menus causing the GPU to load to 100% and produce a lot of heat, for no apparent reason. I have my fan curve set aggressively, and I have my GPU underclocked for this game.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/gu-11-overheating-my-gpu.135782/
  3. fumz

4. BlackDove

By aggressive, I don't mean "100% when it hits 50C" or something. Mine is silent most of the time. 50C=60%, 60C=75%, 70C=85%, 80C=95% fan speed. It almost never hits 70C on my GK104 660Ti, so in PS2 my fan is between 60 and 75%.

Tomb Raider with supersampling and TressFX on or PS2's 2D menus are the only time I get close to 70C.
  5. fumz

I don't know what his curve is like, but if it's like the acx's, then he's not going to have to change a thing. I cannot get this gpu to go past 62C no matter what. In games the highest it goes is 50's... like in battlefield 3 or when we did that test of the menu's. 3d mark and valley will hit 62, but won't go higher. I haven't heard the fan yet; it stays under 46%, so there's no need to adjust the curve. That's all I was trying to relate.
  6. psyshow

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your contribution's to this thread. Having read those, I am a little concerned now. I'm seeing temps of 75oc with the fan climbing to 52% (all on auto - stock settings). Whilst the frame rate seems somewhat remarkable
    (120-130 driving around ??), last thing I want to do is cook a brand new PC. What's concerning me more is this is stock so it's not like I'm trying to throttle it beyond it's shipped standard. From some of the temps you guys have posted, I seem to be running well above that on Planetside 2. Sitting on the desktop (just surfing the net for example) it's at around 25-30oc. Should I be looking at adjusting fan control through the supplied 'Thunder Master' software??? Just to confirm again, this is the palit gtx 780 super jetstream

Cheers once again guys.
  7. psyshow

Just to confirm this is the Palit GTX780 Super Jetsream if that make's any difference!
  8. psyshow

System spec if it helps - seriously, thank you for any help on this!

Case
    CORSAIR GRAPHITE SERIES™ 600T WHITE MID-TOWER CASE
    Overclocked CPU
    Intel® Six Core i7-3970X (3.5GHz) - NOT OVERCLOCKED AT THIS POINT!
    Motherboard
    ASUS® SABERTOOTH X79: SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
    Memory (RAM)
    16GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)
    Graphics Card
    Palit GTX 780 Super Jet Stream- - NOT OVERCLOCKED AT THIS POINT!
    Memory - 1st Hard Disk
    240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
    2nd Hard Disk
    1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
    1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
    15x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
    Power Supply
    CORSAIR 1050W PRO SERIES™ HX1050-80 PLUS® GOLD MODULAR
    Processor Cooling
    Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
    Extra Case Fans
    2 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
    Thermal Paste
    ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Network Facilities
    DUAL-BAND WIRELESS 802.11N 450Mbps PCI-E CARD
    Operating System
    Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licenc
  9. Sliced

Hi,
    The GPU should never go past 80C unless if it's on some extreme load that the fan can't cope with.
    The GPU will always try and keep it below 80C by default and slowly up the fan speed. You can do the fan curve yourself, however I believe it should be fine at stock. I personally would have a relaxed fan curve if I was to do it manually. Let the GPU go to 50-70C with a low fan speed THEN up it after 70C to keep it below 80C, however it can easily handle 90-110C if you're daring enough.

The CPU I'm not too sure, however most Intel CPUs have a Tcase of around 70-75C (my 2500k it around 73C) .
    Tcase is lower than core temps, so add a few degrees onto the Tcase for your max safe temps. So that should be around 75-80C for a safe max core temp output.

So all in all, safe temps 780 = 80-90C depending if you have headphones or not. My 9800GTX+ runs around 70-85C 24/7 for around the past 7ish years and all is fine.
    CPU = 70-80C , however try and keep it at 60-70C
  10. psyshow

Sliced, thank you very much for your response. You would say I'm running at a safe temperature for this system then? Not that I dare do this but I'm guessing if it was to be overclocked, I'm already running to close to max temp. limit to try? Also, this may seem like a daft question so apologies if it is but what difference would having headphones make to this?

I need to re-check my temps on the processor but thank you for supplying the info you posted!
  11. Sliced

Ah, the headphones bit. Some people have very aggressive fan curves and are happy to do that as they wear headphones.
    However if you don't it can slowly do your head in if you constantly hear those fans. I wear headphones while gaming + music, however while watching online TV, browsing the net or have guests over then I will switch over to the monitor speakers. So having high fans for me will be a massive negative.
    This is why I went over to watercooling.

75C does seem a bit high for stock. However what are your ambient temps? Your temps will never go lower than your ambient while using fans. So here (England) my ambient is pretty low, 20-24C whereas someone in America / Australia who has an ambient of 30-40C will see an automatic rise of 10-20C on temps.

If you want, and are comfortable enough you can re apply the thermal paste. This will normally lower the temps a fair bit.

The 600-700 series cards are designed by default (From Nvidia) to not increase the fan speed by much until the temps hit 80C. That is when you will notice the fan speed kick in.
    So yes, 75C is fine for a 780. However I will still reapply the thermal paste is possible.
    You can still overclock it. I personally would just to see what it can do. Place the fan at 100C, use MSI afterburner and OC. Untick apply OC at start up. Once you hit the max OC then lower the fan speed manually, or see if auto can cope. If the fans are too high for your liking than lower the OC until the fans become tolerable. However if you wear headphones then this shouldn't be a problem.

I hope I've solved your question.
  12. DashTech

80°C is a good number to see as a top-limit, but don't sweat if it peaks over that. Just don't let your components to boiling point (100°C) as this is generally "rather hot" and will cause things like your CPU to down-clock massively to protected themselves.

Well... Intel does, I'm not sure where AMD is with this these days, in the good old days they used to set fire.
  13. fumz

The gtx 780 (all of them and titan too) throttles at 80C. This cannot be avoided unless you install a modded bios.

psyshow,

Is it hot there? My guess is that either ambient temps are hot (summer time and all) or you have poor airflow in your case and should consider turning up fan speed there if you can. If it's just really hot then there's not much you can do. How hot does the card get when benchmarking 3dmark or Valley?
  14. Sliced

The 780 will not throttle at 80C if you configure it correctly.
    By default can you assign it to 90C, higher if you can mod it.
    You can change it to 90C using EVGAs GPU overclocking tool. I'm sure there are others out there that will allow you to do it as well.

On top of that at 80C the fan speed will speed up. So it's not all doom and gloom once 80C is hit if the fan is only spinning at 30-50%.
  15. fumz

Get back to me after you have one; then tell me what the card can and cannot do. As an owner of a 780, someone with a vested interest in the subject matter, I'm telling you 780 throttles at 80C.

You can set the temp target in Precision to 96C, but the cards will still throttle at 80C, period. This is every gk110 and it's a huge complaint from a lot of 780/Titan owners who feel mislead by nvidia/evga/etc etc... The complaint is exactly that you can't set a custom temp target despite telling Precision to do so.

Again, the only way to get around this is to install a modded bios.
  16. Sliced

I see.
    Even I must not have understood what Nvidia was doing. I was under the impression that it would be fine up to 90C if you preferred a lower fan speed.
    However he should not be hitting 80C with a high fan speed. I would guess the GPU will hit 80C then up the fan speed to 100% before it throttles. Or am I wrong there as well?
    I have heard that some cards can't get a higher fan speed than 80-90% for some odd reason. I'm not sure on the exact figure, or temps as I've been water cooled for well over 5 years now.
  17. fumz

Lots of guys are super pissed about this issue... especially $1k Titan owners (poor bastards).

For gk110 temperature is everything. It determines boost clocks and whether or not you throttle. The 80C limit is something nvidia hardwires in and so far, to the best of my knowledge, no card maker has deviated from this, which is why you need a modded bios to circumvent the 80C limit.

I don't know the particulars of his fan profile, but my guess is that it's a lot like mine. I doubt the default goes over 5X% and so yeah, he would probably get to 80 then have the card throttle. Of course, he can get around it with a custom profile, the question is does he need to? 70's is hotter than normal, sure, but it's not that hot. I'm sure the reason has more to do with it being summer or poor case flow than anything.
  18. psyshow

Hi everyone, thank you for input on this topic. I'm actually on the South of the UK (Nr. Portsmouth). The room the computer is in has the sun shinning through the window during the afternoon onwards and can sometimes get a little warm. In all honesty, that is why I went for as many fans as possible in my budget and went with water cooling on the processor to try and help combat this problem. Planetside was a slight bi-product of the investment as the machine's work horse purpose will be handling Premiere & After Effects. As some of you may know, rendering and general usage of those 2 packages can hammer a machine and if' it's a big video, it'll be running on long periods of full throttle rendering it out. But after discovering PS2 earlier, i did want to try and ensure that the machine could run this too (but don't tell my misses that for god's sake). Software I don't have a problem with but what's inside the PC and how it all works - it's a new dark art which I'm yet to fully understand so I really really appreciate all the help here.

This is literally the 4th day I have had the PC now so I'm hoping I wont have to re-apply anything just yet as it's not even a week old. I was actually expecting the Nvidia Version of the GTX780 so after seeing some videos on line, i was concerned to see no shiny alloy case where i presumed the graphics card to be. So I did a quick read up on the Palit and it does seem to have good feedback on it so it wasn't all bad - just wasn't what i was expecting.

Some of the fan's were disconnected upon delivery so when I opened it up to remove the internal packaging used to ship it out, i was quite alarmed to see so many wires with nothing attached to the end. To show my lack of knowledge on this - i have since learned these are spare power cables (go on, you can laugh!). i was told to connect the fans on the side of the case to the one coming from what I believe to be the PSU. I did question this as the case came with a built in fan control which mean't surely they need to be wired to that and not the PSU?? They work and all but I can't hear those one's altering when I turn the dial on the fan control. There are so many wires in the area near the control that I can't work out which one is coming of it - I'm embarrassed to say.

Having a quick look through the Thunder Master software, it doesn't seem to be able to allow for a fan curve. I have auto or adjust but the adjust seems to force one constant speed rather than allow a progressive speed determined by heat. If i wanted to do that let's just say and throttle the fan up to 90% on adjust, what is the penalty that occurs else where? I assume more power consumption but is there any additional effects?
  19. Sliced

Learning hardware is pretty easy. You just need the drive to start yourself off. Over time one bit of knowledge will stumble onto another and soon you will create an avalanche of computer knowledge. Just trying to remember it all is the hard part.

Not all fan controllers are good. Some of them I would stay away from. I personally plug them into the psu with a fan speed reducer if needed. You could also get fans with a built in fan controller. This normally allows for 5v , 7v and 12v operation.
    However if you can't find what wires belong to the fan controller than get a spare fan and plug it into the female molex connector. Just keep doing it until you find the correct wire. Doing this with the computer still on has no side effects. If it's only one fan then all is good with modern PSUs. If you were to put a heavy load all at once then that could be a problem. but 1-3 fans could never put that amount of strain onto the psu.
    I was the same. I built my first computer completely blind and it all worked out well.

Yes there would be a higher power consumption. However it would be small, nothing to worry about. As far as I know there are no other real side effects. I've only ever had three gpus. 2 9800gtx+ and a single 480. My 9800gtx+ fan speed is set to 95% during gaming as I can't hear it. While I have no headphones on it goes back on auto which for my load will be around 55-65% fan speed. I do this by using the hot key feature. I personally have not seen any side effects of it.
    My wife has the second 9800gtx+ and as far as I can tell they are both in the same condition. I put mine under full load 24/7 whereas she uses her gpu for light gaming (Fall out New Vegas, Black ops, Caesar 3, the Sims and so on). Other than that it's all simple computer stuff like Facebook and YouTube. I do however clean both GPUs every 6 months - 1 year. Get rid of the dust and reapply all the thermal paste.
  20. fumz

As always, mums the word. ;)

I think your only real issue is poor case flow. Never been a fan of side placed fans because when pointed inward they only create a vortex which defeats the purpose entirely. It would be alright if your card expelled through the rear of the case, but yours does not. You want to turn that fan around to create negative pressure inside the case so that there's always more air (read: heat) being expelled than entering. This might take some fidgeting with your front fan controller to make sure they're going slow enough so as to not overwhelm the rear and side exit fans.

Once you have more air exiting than entering I think you're going to find your temps decrease.