One BIG GLOBE - why not?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by KariH, Jun 12, 2014.

1. KariH

Put indar - amerish and esamir together and make a big one globe(litle smaler than all 3 continents together - playerbase is not huge.). Fill problem areas with water. ..or Hossin.

I hate to seek fights from all 3 continents.

No - i do not want cap - I want big messy chaotic fight. Big - messy - chaotic fights has its own very special feeling.
  2. M2_Bradley

Don't forget to put a billion island outposts between the continents...And cruisers,destroyers,frigates,aircraft carriers,battleships,attack boats,hovercraft,and jet skis.Takes too much effort.SOE has no models they can recycle.
  3. Quiiliitiila

They were (A LOOOOOOOOONG time ago) considering aquatic gameplay with boats and such. There was to be an ocean in-between the continents that could be traversed via these new vehicles with bases and areas that could be capped like a normal "continent". It was (and still is I think) a very long term goal for the devs, one that I feel would be awesome if done correctly!
    • Up x 3
  4. Tommyp2006

I think we should worry about getting things like the rest of the continents PS2 is supposed to have out first before worrying about things like this. It's taken them this long to get Hossin out, who knows how long it will take them to get Searhus out after this, if it comes out at all.
    • Up x 1
  5. Llamar

It would be cool but not going to happen any time soon.
  6. Mezinov

This is all still on the Devs radar according to the various interviews they do every few months with gaming magazines. Its just that it is a long way off and requires alot of systems implemented before it.

Hossin was announced, when, August 2013? If we assume it will go live in July 2014 that gives us an 11 month development cycle for a well polished continent. OMFG stopped all development not focused on optimization for 3 months in there, so we will dock 3 from that for an 8 month cycle.

If we assume we will be getting ALL the original continents back, that means after Hossin we need;
    Ceryshen
    Forseral
    Solsar
    Oshur
    Cyssor
    Searhus

That gives us 48 months, or 4 years, of just adding continents.

However I think it is far more likely it isn't the devs intention to give us all the continents back, instead giving us just the major flavors.
    Esamir covers flat ice, and Ceryshen would cover mountainous ice.
    Amerish covers mountainous temperate, but this is contrary to how it was in Planetside 1, so it doesn't really have a direct opposite. Normally it would be the bumpy Cyssor or Forseral. So one of these will be re-purposed; likely Cyssor. It was very popular.
    Then we would have Searhus brought back as a unique volcanic continent, just as it was in PS1.
    Indar currently exists as a merger of Ishundar, Oshur and Solsar. Like as not they will make a new Solsar and try to make it Indar's opposite.
    Hossin will represent relatively flat jungle, and I imagine the Forseral name would be repurposed for a mountainous version.

So instead of a total of 10 continents, we would end up with a total of 9... really only knocking us back 8 months for a "three and change" investment.

So August 2018 the Devs will be free to either develop a space or water side of Planetisde 2.[/quote]
  7. Silvermyst

Actually, Hossin was announced at launch, due for release back in April 2013.

There's now 16 months of delay (because it's officially now due in July, stated by Higby at E3, confirmed by RadarX here on the forums. The roadmap is wrong) on top of the 5 months of development that came first. That's 21 months total. So if they choose to add all the original continents and only manage to do it at the rate they've made Hossin, it'll take approximately 168 months, or 14 years.

So anyways, I'm not expecting any new continents after Hossin. Ever. They'll probably make their 3 battle islands and call it a game.
  8. Quiiliitiila

[/quote]

I think we can expect to see Searhus next, but after that I think they'll work on other things. I highly doubt they will hold other development ideas back in order to come out with a string of continents. Once they get these base areas out, we can expect to see them work on more ways to interlink them smoothly. Imagine battle islands actually being islands in an ocean that two naval fleets vie for control of!

Jeez, I'm exciting myself over an idea :p
  9. HadesR

Just nip and tuck, copy and paste bits here and there and stick all 3 together as one mega Cont ..

Esamir Aspects as the poles
    Amerish as the Temperate regions
    Indar aspects as the deserts ..
  10. Pikachu

No work at all. :rolleyes: Making tools that spherically deforms all continents and implement spherical gravity to them and predict how the game will work with the new horizon and all that stuff.
  11. Kunavi

I do not much care about it being an actual planet(Spherical and all) with full grav ETC ETC, I'd definitely be interested in a way to connect continents(Sea and Air fortresses?) physically, with Warping being the quick and easy way. I think logistics might become important like that. Introduce carriers then create interesting Bases with no points which we'll want to occupy, to mount offensives that aren't always based on, nor always originate from WGs. It could be argued you can start a Zer-COUGH mount an offensive from any owned territory but I don't think it's exactly the same thing.

And since the hovering Base pieces aren't going away, just turn them into "Orbital" stations(Ceiling too low, please increase?! That's not "Orbital", it's not even really high).