Observations of the Light Assault in an Anti-Vehicle role

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by z1967, Nov 5, 2014.

1. z1967

It is fairly well known that no class can utilize C4 better than the Light Assault, but I wanted to know how far I could stretch those 2 C4s by increasing the prevalence of AV weapons in my load out. The two options (which can be combined) are the explosive bolt cross bow (1100 certs) and the S variants with a grenade launcher (600 certs) on top of your C4 (700 certs). A full AV loadout is not cheap (compared to the HA) but allows you to use the jetpack and traverse the terrain with ease. I haven't been able to test the S variant coupled with C4, however the crossbow seems to work well when doing anti-skyguard duties.

I learned a few important things while using the more efficient method of AV:
    -Most tank drivers will ignore trickle damage such as a crossbow, many won't pop their FS or shield when shot with the crossbow. Use this to your advantage by popping off three shots and then detonating the C4. Works best on Lightnings, MBTs may need a finisher round of Crossbow bolts.

-A lightning needs only one C4 and no more than 3 crossbow bolts. Reuslts may vary based on hit detection.

-Do not attempt to detonate C4 with explosives, it has a chance of destroying the explosive without actually doing any damage.

Using this you can effectively get two tank kills out of 2 C4. Lightnings are the easiest target, mainly skyguards and viper lightnings when they reload. I would not advise using these tactics the same way that you normally C4 tanks and instead use it when surprising unaware tanks. I'll see if I can get some STK tests in MBTs and Lightnings to see whether or not the S variant carbine will be worth the investment.
    • Up x 4
  2. Iridar51

Interesting; that's new. No one had yet thought about it. Usually we only use explosive bolts as finishers for Sundrers after double C4.

An issue with this is that you're exposed while shooting, and driver is alerted to your presence. Usually you want to detonate the C4 as fast as you can.

It can be interesting in specific situations, but personally I wouldn't run explosive bolts just for an off chance that I will encounter two lightnings, and in the abundance of nanites, resource conservation is really not an issue.
  3. Petti The Yeti

In my opinion, LA with only 2 sticks of C4 is almost worthless in AV scenarios. Takes too long to cross open ground to position yourself in an area to fly over a vehicle. Some bases with cliffs around it, with a Sundy parked on the other side are exceptions, but trying to get near a group of vehicles on a roadway, usually with dozens of infantry around them, is too difficult to be reliable.

I would rather use my slot on Med Kits, and spend my time picking off the wings of their infantry line and falling back to heal. Not as high risk/reward, but just as useful to sneak some HA's or Engi's through for them to do AV duties.
  4. TheMercator

If tanks a clustered and you throw C4 between them its likely both are destroyed. And watch for Lightenings that got a single hit with any AV weapon, they only need one brick.
  5. mayhemzen

not sure bout using the s variant with grenade underbarrel. seems to slow me down. anyone else notice this?