Nvidia Beta 314.21 23% increase over 314.07 (Not PS2 specifically)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Stigler, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Stigler

Hello, I have been doing everything I can to keep fps up and desync issues at a minimum on my now 14 month old system. I have managed to keep 45-60 fps avg with dips only most recently going to 30's since GU4. I have all updated drivers,firmware,bios,bios settings for PS2 ect. Overclocked,declocked ect ect. the wintimer trick on off ect, frames render ahead 2 , now off.

That said, I updated my Nvidia from 314.07 WHQL to 314.21 and noticed an improvement. I no longer have GPU and am bound strictly by CPU for FPS now, with GPU only occasionally showing up. This is what was stated for the 314.14 readme.

What’s New in Version 314.14
    See also
    “What’s New in Release 313” on page

Performance Boost
    Increases performance by up to 23% for GeForce 400/500/600 Series GPUs in several PC
    games when compared to the GeForce 314.07 drivers

Your mileage may vary. My specs and settings are as follows.

Win 7 64 bit (shutdown many unnecessary process and services,1.1gb used on boot, 39 background processes.)
    i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (may up to 4.8 now that I am cpu bound) will get an i7 3770k 1155 soon.
    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 3603 bios, sensors off, epu off, energy set to max performance (settings for timing issues)
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (default XMP profile)
    GTX 570 HD 2.6gb (I wish I had bought 2 of these as was the plan.)

PS2 is on a 1TB 7200 Black WD running SATA3 6gb but I might take BF3 off of my Crucial M4 128gb SSD and try PS2 on it, its recommended to have as much free space on an SSD to help performance.

Also in Nvidia control panel I set power to max performance. I was running my 570 oced, but had ctd's only in PS2 on occasion, so I run it default for PS2 atm, in BF3 it seemed I had to find a frequency sweet spot, even if it passes testing in scanner x, the games sometimes seem to not like certain frequency's,or even stable tested overclocks. I just go up or down 5-10 mhz till I find a good spot, in PS2 there were so many PS2 specific issues it was hard to tell.

Game settings

[Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.150000
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=4
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=1
    RenderDistance=6000.000000
    Gamma=0.400000
    MaximumFPS=75
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=2 (is better than old ultra which seems more shiny/glowy)
    EffectsQuality=4
    TerrainQuality=4
    FloraQuality=1
    ModelQuality=4
    VerticalFOV=74
    ParticleLOD=4
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VSync=0
    AO=1

other MaxVoices=192 and

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=Off

I have shadows 1 and had to turn flora=off after gu4. Beware the RenderQuality setting other than physx it makes a big difference going from 1.15 to 1.10 or even 1.0 is big fps difference. I was at 1.15 but had to go down to 1.10 along with flora=off to keep up since GU4.

I have not tested the effects on cpu load by decreasing max voices but I am going to test it out. So now I need to oc my cpu (offset method) more and the mem but havent because of the frequency timing issues in PS2. Waiting to see a hotfix for this weekends lag/desync fiasco.
    • Up x 1
  2. Gammit

Thanks for the tip. I may try these too.
  3. oLd.Sneakers

Dialing down the render quality from above 1.0 ( 100% ) does improve the situation but doesn't really fix the issue of SoE completly killing the performance they had worked hard on getting into the game since tech beta with this last GU4 patch.

Instead of dropping below 25 though with 1.0 render quality I drop to 35, so its alot better, from unplayable to somewhat playable when in the air.

Still a farcry from my never below 45 fps before GU4 with 1.15 render quality.

Whatever SoE does they better do it fast b/c getting killed by no skill lock ons + bad performance = won't log in anymore, for alot of people.

/edit

Lowering render distance + render quality seems to help alot for me, keeping 100+ now again in the air.

Oh well temporary fix will work for me.
  4. werzinator

No difference here. Playing at 1080p on ultra settings, low shadows and particles.

FPS still tanks worse than ever in heavy battles at bio labs/tech plants/amp stations since GU04. Used to be 30, now 15-20. Still get the usual 100+ FPS when flying high, 60 FPS when on the ground and not fighting
  5. Stigler

Does your ingame fps meter read GPU or CPU? if it is already CPU most of the time this will not help. On top of that I would expect some sort of hotfix incoming for GU4. These drivers were helpful to me, it took any chance of my GPU being the bottleneck for now.

Like I said these were helpful for me because now even with my vid card at default clock timings, I thought PS2 disliked my oc so I run PS2 w/ default video card clocks now. I am CPU bound and not being held back by GPU, GU4 changed the cpu/gpu loading and seems to come up with cpu as bottleneck even though the core use is low.
  6. werzinator

It goes between CPU and GPU. When I'm hitting 100+ FPS it's GPU limited, when I'm in huge bio lab/tech plant/amp station fights it's CPU limited. I'm sure if I OC'd my 2500K I'd get a few more frames
  7. Stigler

After the driver updates, over the weekend with the server load, I had cpu most of the time. But now here on Monday evening I have gpu coming up again. I am at 40+ to 50+ sometimes 60 today, it seems with more player load the cpu becomes the bottleneck, less player load gpu becomes bottleneck for my hardware anyhow. I will oc gpu again to get it to cpu bottleneck. Need to oc cpu to 4.8 i suppose.

Overall I have about 10% increase for fps when GPU is stated as bottleneck.
  8. Kuuraien

LAWL if anyone read this before i edited it im sorry, i came back today after like a week of not playing the game and today i updated to 314.07, so i thought somehow i couldnt see some icons on the map.

new UI sweet. (dont like it tou)

Well ill comment on this by saying he is right, the loading speed improved and there is an overall improvement on other fields too.