Not Planetside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Deice, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deice

Hello,
    Let me start off by saying I love this game. I started playing Planetside with a good friend in 2003. I was hooked from the start... Played for years and loved every second of it! I even had a hard time paying for it monthly and stopped playing. I came back when I could, work, family, and money... I even searched the internet in 2008ish for Planetside 2. Didn't fine much. Then to my disbelief!!!!!!! Planetside 2 became a reality, or so I thought. This is not the game I played long ago. This is not the fun I had way back when. This is not the game that I was so looking forward to for years. Sigh..... I played Alpha, Beta, then realease, hoping it would change, or evolve into what I loved so much! I've have had fun, but not the same ground breaking, heart-pounding, and exciting game I remember. I waited for it, and waited.... It's not the game that I remember. No ANTs, doors, spawn tubes, sanctuaries, base shields, vehicle warps, looting, and mines/turrets/blockades the list goes on. Maybe Planetside 3? I can hope.
    • Up x 3
  2. BlueSkies

While I do kind of miss ANTs (as it provided another path to taking a base, albeit a very long one), I am kind of meh about the rest.

Doors though... to hell with doors. Those damn things never worked properly in PS1.
  3. Ztiller

PS1 is available to play if you prefer that.

Although i'm pretty sure that 99% of all lthe PS1 nostalgia is just that. Nostaligia. From whaat i have hehard, Spawnn Tubes were terrible for spawn camping anyways, Vehicle warps are pointless, they are adding turrets and ANTs.

I remember Morrowind as one of the greatest games i ever played, but after playing Oblivion and Skyrim there is no way i can go back. I tried. There is just so much missing in the game, things i now take for granted.

Ps2 =/= Ps1. Learn to accept it. Not everything was perfect back then, you just dont remember the bad things.
    • Up x 5
  4. Morti

[IMG]

You can go play PS1 still if you wanna
    • Up x 5
  5. Vikingo

I felt the same way when I first saw Fallout 3 was coming out. It wasnt Fallout....

With that said, its not much one can do about it, the new generation is more profitable then us old farts...
  6. FateJH

Free-to-play, even. If you need to reinstall, here's the Launchpad download. SOE no longer prominently features it on the "Get the Game" page.
    A single Cloaker with Sensor Shield could sneak into the base, hacking the IFF doors as they go, hack an Infantry terminal in the spawn room, don an AV MAX suit temporarily, and take all the tubes down, maybe encountering only one or two players, before getting the Infiltration Suit back and slinking back into the corners. Granted, this was not typically base dooming by itself, because there were typically enough people around that the tubes could be fixed back up without too much hassle, but it was annoying. Equally so, is someone getting into the generator room and bringing that down. On top of that, since you spawn in lighter than Light Armor - colloquially, "pajamas," and there is no real physical defense keeping them out, you end up being easy fodder for anything that is in the spawn room.

It's a design philosophy difference. In PS1, allied assets were set up with emphasis on keeping enemies from getting a foothold in your base. Enemy assets were designed thus that simple random elements were rarely suitable to get a singificant precense or foothold in a base (e.g., if there was a nearby AMS, you could not spawn at the allied AMS set up "over there" at the enemy base back door; unless, of course, you had prior contact to that specific AMS and bound your spawn to it). In PS2, much of the fighting involves getting enemies out of your base. A random S-AMS set up somewhere that isn't obvious immediately can suddenly cause a flood of unrelated players, and players from anywhere on the map can suddenly manifest. Spawn beacons and special spawning conditions for things like the sturdy G-AMS or nimble (I'm stretching) V-AMS cause footholds with much less effort.

(Note: I'm taking for granted that a large part of a defenders' fight involved getting enemies out of a base's field towers.)
    Gimmicky, at worst. When it helps, it helps; when it doesn't, you won't even pay attention to "why isn't it helping?"
    I'd say, as long as you held the courtyard, it was generally safer to spawn Vehicles in even a heaily-contested PS1 base.
  7. stalkish

Spawn tubes were never camped, not sure where you heard this crap but its wrong, if people tried to camp they would be killing the tubes anyways since the enemy would spawn inside the tube and the tube would take damage from killing the enemy, spawn camps lasted less than 30 seconds every time (unless some1 used a router in the tube but that was rare). And every time i heard some1 say, keep the tubes up for a farm we lost the base cap, it just wasnt effective to spawn camp, far easier to camp choke points like stairwell or front door, or back door, i wouldnt expect some1 who hasnt played ps1 to know that tho.

Vehicle warps wernt pointless in PS1, thats the point :rolleyes:. We had sanctuaries where entire empires would form up, PS2 calls the zergs, and then attack a locked cont, we didnt have a permanent base within each cont that ensures the battle can never be won unless its 90/10% pops. Conts wernt locked to everyone, they were locked out of the HART drop, something else missing entirely that was a key part of the balance of troop movement. An enemy empire could still invade your locked cont, but they had to use the warpgates, meaning you could setup scouts to warn the rest of your empire, or even camp the gate if that particular cont was worth it (oshur).

They are adding ants yes, but its likely to be yet another sundy attachment, im sooo excited.. It also sounds like ANT are going to be there to limit vehicle use and spawning at facilities, this isnt how ANTs worked in PS1 (well it is but not as direct as the way new ants sound) hard to explain tbh, seeing it in practice is far easier to understand.

If you want to call it nostalgia fine, call it that. But you need to understand the gameplay mechanics in PS1 were alot more fleshed out. Alot more thought went into the entire game, just look at the base names of old PS1 ill take 1 base as an example:
    Helheim
    Helheim (pronounced “HELL-hame;” Old Norse Helheimr, “the world of the goddess Hel“) is one of the Nine Worlds of Norse mythology. Also known simply as “Hel,” Helheim is the most general name for the underworld where the dead dwell.

Alot lot better and more fitting of a permanent wear game than the name of one of the devs daughters wouldnt you say (Elli, ZOE...) after all, 'war is hell' - William Sherman
    • Up x 3
  8. stalkish

Have to disagree there, i see no gimmick in the only way off your sanctuary if youve been sanc locked, i see the only way off your sanc.
    I also see flanking routes and backhack stratergies.
    It was tho mostly safe to pull vehicles in a contested base as long as you owned the cy, i agree, if you were willing to chance the OS / lib bombs lottery tho.
  9. FateJH

True, but you hopefully didn't spend most of your time being warp gated on your home continents.
    I did say "at worst." It was just another part of the game in general, worth neither accolade nor aggravation.

You did bring up the important aspect of vehicle gating that I forgot to mention - provision of armor that was not immediately available from just a "one base foothold" on a new continent. No tech plant meant little in the way of advanced armor and no amp station meant less sturdy armor in general (no vehicle shields). Not having a dropship center was a thing too, limiting access to the Galaxy, the Galaxy Gunship, and the Lodestar.
  10. stalkish

I just feel the more i think about each aspect of PS1 that it all fit together to form this balanced (most of the time) well rounded, well thought out game, was it perfect no not by any means, but imo it was much further towards perfect than ps2. PS2 seems like a frankestein game, higby has tried to make it too accessible to the BF masses and in the process has lost alot of what made planetside planetside.

All that being said, i do like PS2, its the only game i play but i dont think they should have called it planetside, maybe 'war of auraxis' or something denoting a similarity, but calling it planetside 2 was a lie to their veteran playerbase imo.
  11. Hatesphere

just because it has a 2 on the end does not mean it has to be a polished clone of the original. lots of things like the spawn room camping are even starting to be solved at many bases with the addition of SCUs, I see new ones pop up every few updates.
  12. Alan Kalane

Comming soon TM : ANTs,vehicle warps
    We already have:mines/turrets,spawn tubes (just not destroyable)
    No need for (bad ideas from ps1) :sanctuaries (I mean...wtf, why?)
    Could be useful : doors (but performance),base shields(but whines),looting
    Wouldn't work so well in PS2 : blockades (due to base design, vehicles could just go around it)

I say give SOE some more time. This is going in the right direction. Please understand that ForgeLight is a new engine made exclusively for PS2, they need time to polish everything and get to know the engine.
  13. DramaticExit

Elli is the personification of old age in Norse mythology, who Thor was challenged to wrestle, and who brought him to his knees. It's one of the most brilliant pieces of mythology I've ever read. The whole story surrounding it is just wonderful. In the story, Thor gets a lesson in humility and learns not to make assumptions based on appearances and incomplete knowledge...

It is rather ironic that you should pick up on Elli in particular with your assumption that it is the name of a dev's daughter, given the content of the folklore from which the name actually stems.
    • Up x 3
  14. andy_m

I'm glad I never played Planetside then.

Just sayin
  15. Diilicious

HOW ODD!!

I just went to Elli amp station for the first time today and was talking about it in another thread, and then i come here and you are talking about a real Elli and its/their meaning, i swear that happens all the time.
  16. KiakoLalene

It isn't available, because the servers are permanently down.
  17. Axehilt

Only thing on that list I miss are automated turrets.

ANTs were a tremendous hassle.
    • In PS2 you have this incredibly irritating situation where not enough players pull sunderers even though many are infantry-only players, so I often have to pull one myself to get it to the right location. It's irritating but just a drive from Base A to Base B.
    • In PS2 you had a much worse situation, where players are even less aware that an ANT is needed, which forces me to leave the front for like a 15 minute boring journey across the whole damn continent.
  18. Hatesphere

when did that happen, they made it free to play as of like may 2014 some time. infact i am installing it right now.
  19. BlueSkies

Remember though... it took PS1 a number of years before it was "well rounded" and had lost most of its player base by then :(
  20. Rogueghost

Its very funny you mention this, because all of the major facilities in the game, amp stations, biolabs and tech plants, are named after figures from various ancient religions. With each continent having its own pantheon, Indar's facilities are named after figures from ancient Persia's Zoroastrianism, as mentioned by someone else in this thread those in Esmair's are Norse themed, Amerish facilities are named after the mythology of the Wintun, and Hossin is Mayan.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.