noob questions

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tow2Bravo, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Tow2Bravo

Hello everyone. I just started PS2 last night and I'd have to say I'm loving it so far. I have a few questions I'd like to ask. First, what's a good server for a central time zone night owl. All my play takes place at night. Secondly, what continent do most folk normally fight on? I started a NC character simply because they had the best music, I basically had no other reason. Just wanted to test the game...and now I'm hooked. Any tips or guidance would ne much appreciated, but mainly looking for a server and faction full of night players.
  2. Word Of Madness

If I've got my timezones right, then Connery would probably be a good server for that time period.
    Most people tend to fight on Indar. Busy servers often have some smaller fights on Esamir and Amerish. During alerts, the population will tend to move to wherever the alert is. Alerts are a mission type thing, where the objective might be to capture as much of Amerish as possible, or to control as many amp stations as possible across all 3 continents.
    • Up x 2
  3. Tow2Bravo

Cool Thx for the response.
  4. Rhapsody

If you want to play with 'USA' peeps.. and live in central time and play at night, I'd recommend one of the 'west-coast' servers. You'll still end up playing with EU players who brave the high-pings to play on the USA servers, but you'll play with NA players for longer than you would if you played on an East Coast Server.

Continents Vary. Not alot of people really 'like' Indar due to a number of reasons. Terrain being extremely crappy in some areas, the new 'lattice' system.. and a few other things. Some people like the open flatland that is Essimer, and others love the rolling country of Amerish.

As for the NC... one and only tip i'll give to that (as it's you who ultimately decides which of the 3 factions your having 'fun' on.) is that none of the NC weapons can be fired on full auto. You MUST burst (2-3 shots only) every weapon or almost 90% of your shots will miss whatever you are shooting at. And compensators are almost a 'required' upgade ontop of that =T.

Last tip is more gameplay wise.

Join an Outfit.

Planetside is 'not' a game for lone-wolves, no-mater how much of the one-man-army crap from CoD/BF the dev's tried to force into PS2. But, dont just join the first one you come across. Look in the squad list, its easy to find the 'outfit' squads as most will ahve:

Blue Lions - Alpha
    7Cav - recruiting

or some such as the name of the squad/platoon.

Try to join the same 'group' for a few days and see if you like what they do and how they act. And try a few different ones.

Once youve settled on an outfit you wish to join.. try to join it. Being in an outfit in PS2 will make the game so much more fun for you.
  5. Tow2Bravo

Awsome thanks.
  6. Tow2Bravo

Awsome thanks.
  7. Tow2Bravo

Oops x2 post...damn "smart" phone...
  8. Duvenel

Welcome to Planetside 2 and it's brother Forumside 2, as others have covered the other points I'll give you some new player advice. Go to the VR training room and try out all the different weapons, find one for each class that you like best. Then when you do, trial it out and see if it really is for you. Once you have a weapon for each class or even just a weapon you like for the class you play the most, then you probably wont have to worry about spending certs or SC on weapons again.

Also as to what you want to spend your certs on, buy as many of the low rank 1 cert and rank 2/3 certs as soon as possible. These give you a slight advantage over any other brand new player and will help to even things out for you when fighting other players. I do suggest at some point buying some SC and buying weapons with that instead of using certs as it'll allow you to be more versatile and allow you to focus your certs on upgrades for your classes and vehicles.

Also as you're about as new a player as you can get, I suggest joining an outfit or atleast a squad when you're playing. This will usually mean some degree(sometimes very varying) of co-ordination and teamwork, which should mean you die less than if you were playing on your own.

P.S I've tried forumsiding from my smartphone before. Not a very pleasant experience xD
  9. Vixxing

I recommend you join a more mature skill-teamwork faction thats also often underpopulated (VS)

But if you persist playing the immature teamkilling crybaby side heres some general advice:
    Medic/engineer is good ways to earn cert, follow a max around and drop ammopacks often (upgrade med/engie tool to level 3 ASAP)
    If you like sniping buy a cheap sniperifle
    jump into and be a gunner in tanks/planes when possible, that way you gain access to highly certed armor/aircraft for free...

Good luck....
  10. Arch

Speaking from an UK perspective, so i could be totaly off with my time zones but if your playing at night, ie after midnight, wouldnt Briggs have a higher population at those hours as isn't west coast only an hour behind central time?
  11. Word Of Madness

Unless he's playing around 4am-8am central time, probably not. Connery maintains a pretty solid population around the clock, and it'll have less lag than Briggs.