No ribbons for hacking?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Vaphell, Apr 28, 2013.

1. redsevenski

Having found that so many people overload generators in bases they are not even close to having adjacency on for easy XP, I find it very hard to believe that the hacking XP cap is to stop infils hacking stuff unnecessarily. Besides an engi can still go to the same place and setup his mana turret to destroy ever turret and terminal to farm the XP if that's what they class as good fun.

The XP cap is an anomaly that should at least be raised, if not removed completely, and ribbons need to be included for it. I've given the bug thread a thumbs up!
  2. Celliosh

This man makes sense! I think the fear of exploitation is far higher then the actual use of these exploits.
  3. Vaphell

4. Mustarde

Infiltrators are rolling in certs.... 25xp x3 turrets + 25xp x3 terminals... = 1 1/2 medic rezzes. So does that mean medics should get no xp after 2 rezzes?

Get rid of the xp lock and give us some ribbons! Heaven forbid our special ability gives us rewards that let us compete with other classes!!!
  5. Ztiller

As long as the Medics heal tool doesn't sometimes lead to him gainging 3000 xp in a few seconds, i don't see a problem.

Peopel are so obsessed with the direct xp-benefits of the actions they partake, they can't see 30 seconds into the future and see what their actions can lead to.

A medic resurrect a fallen soldier, heal him up, and poof. Nothing more for him to do.

A Infiltrator hacks a terminal and all of a sudden he have an entire arsenal of vehicles or classes at his disposal.

An infiltrator hacks a AT-turret and is suddenly looking at a buffet of rear MBT-armor, giving him a few thousands of xp in a matter of seconds.

The medic gets none of those options. No other class does. Once they have used their tool, that's it. Their abilities are bound by the actions of others. Their abilities remove options. Ours opens them up. The infiltrators tool opens up new possibilities for both him and his teammates which easily leads to even more xp.

If you want more XP for hacking, would you be ok with also removing all the xp you get from killing enemies using your resupplied ammo, or using the hacked turrets? Medics don't get xp when their revived player kills something, and engineers don't get xp if the tank they repaired destroys another tank.

There is more to this game than the instantaneous rewards you get the second you click a button.

Read the sig. See the possibilities, not the problems.
  6. redsevenski

I would agree with you if the infil saw some form of 'gunner XP' (like vehicle commanders get) for friendlies killing stuff with the turrets they've hacked. If you run as part of an platoon you'll find the infil is needed to hack all the turrets in the base, while the rest of his squad man them and repair them.

So as it is I think you are way off the mark here. I resort back to 'the possibilities' the engi sees with his AV turret (that his has an unlimited number of with unlimited ammo). He can set one up behind each and every turret in an amp station and destroy it for the XP (every time seeing more than the infil would for a hack). Once the base flips he can then repair each and every turret.
    • Up x 1
  7. Ztiller

I think you are confusing abilities and tools here.

The Engineers Ability is the Ammo/MANA turret. They don't have any "F" ability, like the other classes do.

The Engineers Tool is the Repair Tool.

The Infiltrators Ability is the Cloak, our Tool is the Recon tool and, i would also say, the Hacking tool.

Just like with our Ability, and the engineers ability, it can be used indefinetly and suffers no ammo count.

Point being, as i feel it's getting messy, that the classes are both similar in the Tools-Ability section, but at the same time they are not.

You are also forgetting that hacking a turret takes a lot less time than Repairing something, and as i have said before, hacking a turret also opens up a whole lot of possibilities for you to gain increased XP after that.

I feel that i'm not making much of a point here. I got a headache. But what i said in the first post is what i want to stick to. Once something is repaired, it is repaired. End of story. Once something is hacked, it opens up tons of possibilities, especially since hacked turrets in enemy bases are usually much more powerful and useful than self-owned repaired turrets and terminals in your own base.
  8. Mustarde

I'm not denying the power in our hacking ability. Every time I (briefly) play another class, I feel so constricted that I actually get uncomfortable until I go back to infiltrator. Yes, I have cleared tank columns before, and I have been the spear of my outfit's attack on an outpost by quickly securing the vehicle terminal and spawning a sunderer. I do this all the time.

It doesn't make me wrong for thinking 25xp per hack, limited to three hacks before xp locking, is paltry. Ribbons were a cool new feature added to the game, and I see nothing wrong with giving us ribbons for hacking. It further promotes a great use of our class. I also see no legitimate need for limiting us to three hacks. It's insulting, every time I drop on a techplant and disable the top floor for a grand total of 150xp. I've just cleared the way for our tank column and air squad to get in the fight. Congrats, heres 1 cert.

I agree with you about 75% of the time ztiller. Maybe not your delivery, but what you actually say. On this issue, I think you are being stubborn. While I as an individual have overcome the class challenges to reach BR88 almost purely as infiltrator, in general, we are very poorly rewarded xp-wise for our actions. SOE has stated repeatedly that they want to use XP to drive player behavior (hence higher rewards for vehicle kills, less rewards for killing freshly spawned players). It's why they are planning to add XP for the recon dart (nice but unnecessary imo). The hacking rewards are out of touch right now.
  9. redsevenski

Yup fine, I'm wrong and you're right - I assume that's how you want every 'discussion' you get into on here to end?

Personally I think limiting hacking XP is daft. You call hacking a 'tool', I call it an 'ability' (the recon dart being a 'tool'). If you want to liken it to engineers, they have no limit to the XP gained from ammo packs (although ammo sunderers do have a cool down). As I've stated there are various ways to increase the XP, be it through raising the 3 hack ceiling or award gunner XP.

The current setup encourages players out of the infil class and encourages destruction of terminals/turrets rather than conversion. I think this is wrong.
  10. Ztiller

Actually, there is a limit to how much xp you can gain from Ammo-packs. Don't know where it lies, but it is there and it's not extremely high.