[Suggestion] New Vanguard Cannon: TITAN-150 Railgun [Theorycraft]

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Klypto, Aug 29, 2014.

1. WTSherman

Why would this need to 2-shot ESF when you can already one-shot with HEAT and AP? o_O Not to mention an 8+ second reload means they only really get to take one shot anyway, so that shot might as well count for something.
    • Up x 2
  2. DevDevBooday

Because a sniper that OHK ESFs is not a world anyone wants to live in. The ESF pilot isnt going to care you have an 8 second reload when he is already dead. People would be in uproar if they allowed that.
  3. WTSherman

If he got hit he was flying too low and too slow. How is that my problem?
    • Up x 2
  4. Frosty The Pyro

you understand that high velocity and rail gun are NOT intrinsically linked.

A railgun is just a system of magnetic acceleration, the amount of acceleration is a function of the amount of energy pumped through the electormagnets. Low velocity railguns are fully possible and in many casses could be preferable as they would have a lower energy requirement (and thus could be fit onto a platform that doesnt feature massive power plants) and would produce less muzzle heat allowing a longer weapon lifetime.
    • Up x 2
  5. WTSherman

Though in this context 800 m/s IS "low". Like I said, anything less than 500 I would stop calling it a railgun and would consider "magnetic catapult" to be a more accurate description.
  6. DevDevBooday

Wow, no see if you have a high velocity insta kill cannon, that is somehow fair?

I want my prowler to have Lock on shells. How is that going to be my problem?

Where do you draw the line between whats imbalanced and whats fair? Is it only unbalanced if its not your factions benefit? Thats what it looks like atm.

"How is that my problem?" is not a justification for it being as you want it to be.

You literally want a weapon with the same velocity as a Lancer, being able to instagib ESFs?
    You think that is fair? you think its reasonable?

There is a reason why aircraft have large resistances to lancers, its way too easy.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jaedrik

You are correct.

However, the general character (thus, how they are commonly understood, as a subjective accidental of their essential form) of railguns is 'faster than bullet's, and so far this railgun suggestion is faster than all the other tank shells in this game. . .

My post was more a jab at the fact that bullet/tank round velocity is nowhere near what I think it ought to be.
    Of course, simply raising the velocity across the board will create many behaviors and 'problems' that I don't think the dev team wants, and they certainly don't want to spend time adjusting everything so they can maintain their vision and accommodate my views on immersion.
  8. Liberty

Think about this for one second. What if the lancer could do what the decimator does to ESF's? I imagine somewhere in that thought process you'll find your answer. :)
    • Up x 1
  9. lothbrook

Well if they do intend to put a rail gun on my VG i would expect it to have a velocity around what a lockdown AP prowler gets, otherwise whats the point? So ESFs beware.
  10. WTSherman

Last time I checked the Lancer wasn't mounted on a tank that can only aim 20 degrees up. ;)

I mean really, this thing is being designed to one-shot MBTs (from the rear, but still) but you want ESFs to be practically immune to it? Just fly more than 50m off the ground and you'll be fine.
  11. Sebastien

If it was using electro-magnets, it would be called a Coilgun. Rail guns act on the Lorentz force
    • Up x 2
  12. Bananenweizen

Well, I know at least 4 VS players who would claim it being balanced and very important for the Scythe, Magrider and the whole violet faction to be remotely competitive with TR/NC.
    • Up x 3
  13. TheKhopesh

No.
    For an MBT primary cannon, If it's not pin-point accurate at all times just like the rest of the tank main guns it might as well be a shotgun.
    (And we DON'T want more shotguns, especially not on vehicles!)
    • Up x 1
  14. iller

We don't need stronger Canons, we need sturdier tanks.
    ...or less C4 abuse, I'm not sure which....

They never should have gutted the Shield.
  15. day ofm one

I am so sorry that Vanguards don't allways win anymore :(
  16. Keiichi58

Technically, it should be an AP round, not a HEAT which is what you are suggesting... Partly because a rail projectile has no explosive payload. The current rail weapon the Navy has in motion is literally a 23 pound metal round.

Railguns are destructive on the sheer kinetic force a round delivers by its mass and speed. There should be no explosive damage from the round, which makes this an 'upgrade' to the Titan AP, with the drawback that for it to be effective, it will require being fired at range with a long charge versus trying to snap fire it.

Also, most Explosive rounds are suppose to detonate on impact, the Railgun was meant to fire metal projectiles in general, making it a better overall weapon as one of the major issues with tanks getting hit near the turret is the likely chance of cooking off the rounds with a hit to the turret. While most modern tanks make use of a blowout panel to redirect the blast away from the crew compartment, it is also one of the major issues for ships as well. Which is also why the Navy is looking at this as an alternative to the Battleship 16" rounds. Current military ships use either missles, which are limited, or 5" guns which aren't as powerful as a 16" round, especially for long range bombardment.
  17. Ransurian

This is why high projectile velocity and high projectile damage in tandem is problematic.