New to the Game - Advice?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Recreo, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Recreo

I've watched several videos on the basics of the game, but I have a few questions.

1. How does the territory system work? Is it like, once a single faction conquers the entire map it's locked off until an arbitrary amount of time has passed? What happens? Why are some locked?

2. I understand conquering territories confers a faction buff and generates resources, but what are the resources used for, vehicles?

3. Is Medic good? It's my favorite class, usually is in every game.

4. What should I be buying with certs? Can I like, upgrade my default items? Speaking of, are the default items straight garbage? Do I need to replace them immediately?

Thanks in advance for the help, the community here seems awesome!
  2. JohnGalt36

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  3. ArmorMan

1) I leave this part to another member, just lazy lol
    2) Resources are used to generate vehicles, aircrafts, grenades, c4, medkits and basically everything in your utility and grenade slot. (you can access it on a equip terminal)
    3)Medics are really good, they have really good weapons in general, they can be effective in any range, they farm way more than any other class if used correctly and for a new player it's a good role, a support class will make you die less.
    4) DON'T buy guns with your first certs (apply this mentality to the entire game, especially infantry), spend them to buy medkits and to upgrade your ability and suit. Default weapons are jack of all trades master of none. They are very versatile generally speaking.

Watch wrel's tutorials on youtube, they'll help you alot as a new player.

If you get angry to the game, take a break for a moment, when you return your performance will be better.
    Sorry for my bad english.

Also when you get familiar to the game, try different playstyles, don't focus only on one class, there are alot of things to try in this game. :)

Have fun!
    • Up x 2
  4. The Rogue Wolf

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

I kid, I kid. To address the questions in order:

1. Only one or two continents (depending on total server population) will be open at a time; locking one continent will unlock another.

2. Conquering a continent gives the winning faction a benefit across the entire server; it's nothing overly useful. Resources (nanites) are auto-generated over time.

3. The Combat Medic class is definitely a good class to play; it alone has access to assault rifles, some of the most versatile weapons in the game. Investing certs into the medical applicator and nano-regen device will pay off handsomely, while the shield regenerator and Triage skill are more situational. The revive grenade is both an XP-generation device and a fantastic way to turn a losing fight around if used properly.

4. Always, always upgrade suit slots and tools first. The default weapons you get, by and large, are good all-arounders that can compete in most situations; once you master them, you'll do much better with the sidegrades that most other weapons serve as.

There's plenty of videos out that can give you good tips on how to get started in the game. Good luck, soldier!
    • Up x 2
  5. csvfr

I would take that with a grain of salt.
    1. A map can be conquered by one faction achieving 20 victory points (VP). There are two types of VP; permanent and temporary. Permanent victory points are obtained from achieving objectives like one faction conquering each base up to an enemy warpgate, or holding three of the same type of major facility on the same time. Besides objectives, permanent VP can also be obtained by winning alerts (holding the most territory at the end of them) or from cortium mining. Temporary VP reflect the amount of territory a faction holds, and can be both gained and lost.
      At any time there is at most two continents that are unlocked, when one continent is conquered the next one is unlocked. If there is just one continent which is unlocked, a continent can also be unlocked by the server population reaching a certain threshold (600 players I think).
      As a final note: this system might be changed soon - read the update notes https://www.planetside2.com/news/ps2-critical-mass-development-update-2017
    2. Nanites - which is the resource - is used for vehicles and infantry equipment like grenades, medkits, and C4.
    3. Medic is probably the least played class, there might be several reasons for this. Medics are the only class able to use powerful assault rifles and can heal themselves at any time without the use of medkits or implants. Furthermore they do a lot of supportive functions. However as a new player you will likely also be considering Engineer, which is necessary to play in order to repair the vehicles you use. Then when you buy a weapon for your Engineer (a carbine) this weapon can be used also on the light assault class, meanwhile if you buy a new assault rifle this weapon is confined to the medic class.
    4. If youre playing medic it would be wise to upgrade your ability and tool, the same can be said for the other classes. It should not be necessary to buy new weapons and other stuff at first, not until you know more of the game. Then, a first buy weapon would be the one with max damage or damage per second, stay away from the burst only weapons they're no-good. Many seem to think the default items are good allrounders.
    • Up x 1
  6. Vamperial

1. This is changing in a future update but basically once a continent is locked another one unlocks. Continents are not locked because one faction takes over the entire thing. It's locked because they've earned enough points to lock it through territory, alerts, or mining cortium for VP. Daybreak is changing this a bit so I would look at the test patch\news notes for clues on that.

2. Yes. But much more than that. You get a fixed amount plus however much you get in territory every 90 seconds or something. When you hit Tab in game it will tell you how much you get per "drop". You can increase the base income by becoming a member. You use Nanites for vehicles, grenades, C4, and MAX suits. You may or may not really notice an issue unless you die a lot in vehicles or use grenades\C4 all the time and run out of nanites.

3. I'm sure you will find differing opinions on if medic is good or not. I find VS medic to have the best weapons for my play style in the game. Playing support and having the ability to defend yourself is always fun for me.

4. Invest in the class you have fun with. Do not buy guns as they are mostly side grades. You can kill very effectively with the default weapons on any class with any of the default guns. It simply depends on your play-style. Look through the medic sub forum. I'm sure there is a thread on the best setup for beginners. Once you have a grip on the game and have most of the medic class unlocked and maxed, purchase a gun or 2. Be warned and just IMO, you are better off purchasing a gun through DB cash just because it will unlock for all your characters instead of just one. If you buy an NS weapon and switch from NC to TR for example it will be waiting for you.

The single most important thing I can tell a new player is this. You will die. You won't know why and it will trigger you. You will figure out things in the game that just piss you off but there is nothing you or the developer can do about it (netcode lag, laggy player from other side of world, ect) You just have to power though it. Find an outfit that you like as Planetside 2 is best played in groups especially if you like Medic or support classes in general. Stay with the outfit until you get the hang of the game. If you like to be medic then throw as much support out as you can. Try to unlock as much of Medic as you can and learn the situations in which your equipment will help your team and you get certs. Don't bother with guns until at least BR40.
  7. Pikachu

3. Yes combat medic is good fun medic. He shoots just as as much as he heals. The only thing he lacks is a cosmetic armor that cover more than current ones.

4. Resist the illusion that your default guns are weak and that buying new ones is going to make you kill enemies faster. Default guns for infantry are good. For vehicles it's a differnt story.
  8. UberNoob1337101

Continents lock because a faction reached 20VP, which happens when an alert starts (a random event in-game that gives you 5VP when a faction wins), from controlled territory, HIVEs and other smaller factors like how many facilities you control. The amount of locked continents depend on population so big fights happen and the community is concentrated on one or two continents, if it's small, there will only be one continent open, if total population is over 600, then there are 2 unlocked.

Not really. Territory on a continent only contributes to Victory Points used to capture a continent. Resources don't depend on territory anymore and regenerate automatically every 60 seconds, and they're used for grenades, vehicles and utilities (mines, medkits, regen kits and C4).
    All classes are good. Medic has a pretty great weapon that is effective at almost any range, and it's healing and reviving is very useful for getting XP and winning fights. I'd stick to Nano-regen device and not use the Bubble shield due to it being too situational and not bother with Triage.
    Yes, you can upgrade your slots for your classes, though if you're going to play Medic, then focus on this :

Nanoweave rank 4
    Nano-regen max rank
    Medical applicator max rank
    Sights of your choice for your primary

Later on, it's a good idea to get Grenade Bandoleer and Revive grenades as those en masse are great, especially in an organized squad/platoon.

An extra weapon is good to have, and while the starters are good, it's always good to have more options, but don't focus on it too much until you upgrade your suit/ability slots and tools. Then it might be a good idea.
    It's definitely pretty good. Even though salt has built up and a lot of vets on this forum and Reddit act grumpy, they're still the pretty cool, helpful dudes from 2012 and almost everyone is friendly in-game. I don't know why everyone says "lolno it sucks", because while playing on 4 out of 5 servers, the vast majority of players are pretty cool even to this day.
    • Up x 1
  9. Recreo

I loved the idea of open world faction war, it seemed so cool, and the aesthetics are kick-***. Problem is, the combat seems to just be a OHKO spamming clusterfk contest, so my heals feel literally pointless, and everyone spawning on top of vehicles makes my revive feel superfluous.

Is this typical? If so, IDK if this game is for me.
  10. csvfr

I would say if you plan to play medic first - this game is not for you. There are so many bad medics around that I think that class should be reserved to experienced players only, not the ones who need certs from the sacrifice of others. Say, reviving someone who died in a killzone with the enemies still in control, that person will be shot and killed again immediately upon revive. Also, the medics who stay at the spawn (duh! where is the advantage in that) instead of following an assault team to the capture points, absolutely useless.
  11. Recreo

That's a shame. I really liked the idea of an MMOFPS with a persistent world and faction battles. Know of any other games like this, then?
  12. Iridar51

The gist of PlanetSide 2 combat is capturing bases. To capture a base, your faction has to take control of the base Capture Points, and protect them from base defenders. Deployed Sunderers will provide respawns near the base, but it will still usually mean longer walk than from defenders' Spawn Room.

If you revive people around the Capture Point, you're saving them the time it would take to walk from a Sunderer. One hit kills by vehicles don't often happen inside bases, so you'll definitely have a lot of allies to heal.

This brief guide will tell you what you're supposed to be doing as medic: http://iridar.net/combat-medic-loadout-swiss-army-knife/#The_Playstyle

There's also a more comprehensive medic guide here: http://iridar.net/planetside2/classes/combat-medic/

This will tell what you should spend your certs on: http://iridar.net/planetside2/starter-guide/#Step_11_Consider_Early_Upgrades

Continent locking: http://iridar.net/planetside2/starter-guide/#Step_14_Learn_About_Continent_Locking

There is also a surprising amount of misinformation in this thread. Capturing territory DOES NOT grant you any resources. A small amount of experience is your only reward.
  13. Iridar51

There are no other games like PS2. Don't listen to csvfr, he's just salty because he doesn't know when to decline a revive.
    • Up x 1
  14. TheSunlikeOne

What is your faction?
  15. Strrog

welcome to PS2, i would recommend watching guide videos by Wrel who is currently in game design, he got me back into the game, great detail, objective info, pleasant voice, he coveres pretty much every topic from runnign classes, to your first days in PS2, to piloting, to cert guide for new players. He has a great selection of wepon review videos that are rich in detail.

Depending on your extra cash you can buy what ever you like, however almost all starting or defualt weapons on everything are considered one of the best, so do not rush buyign weapons do research on them first.

Stick with your team and play as a second line support to gain more experience before hitting the front line pusher.

medic or engi are very new player friendly due to high cert generation.
  16. Recreo

VS. I love their backstory of reverence for innovation and technology, their adoption of alien equipment, their armor and their use of laser weapons. I also think they have the best music.

The Republic is pretty cool too, but I really didn't care for the NC.
  17. Recreo

Just from my experience, I often revive from behind cover at the very longest range possible. Sometimes I can't see if they got killed by a sniper who's still staring at them, and offer the revive anyways :x.
  18. Recreo

Thanks a ton! I'll give it a few more hours then. Felt like a lot of combat was just getting one shotted by tanks, going indoors then getting shot by a tank through the window, respawning and getting bombarded by a plane.

It was frustrating, because the actual gun fights are awesome, but I've never liked vehicle combat.
  19. Iridar51

Vehicle combat may be a turn off for you, because ultimately vehicles are a part of PlanetSide 2. However, if the base is getting repeatedly bombarded by vehicles, it's usually an indicator that the fight is already lost, and you should move on to something else. You'll get better at picking good fights as you gain more experience.

There is also a big rebalancing patch on the way, which is supposed to make infantry-vehicle interactions more smooth. PlanetSide may not be a game for everyone, but it will hook you right up, if you give it a chance.
  20. LodeTria

Healing other people is pretty pointless most of the time. You should never really bother healing anyone as it takes too long & leaves you defenceless. Revives are pretty important though, although reviving that ******* who died far from cover isn't worth it as you'll be targeted next by grenades or their guns. Just revive people after a push is done or if you can do it from a position you consider safe.