New territory base designs

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Zolton34, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Zolton34

The problem with most of the base designs is that it makes it far to easy to camp the respawn rooms blocking the defending side from getting to or protecting important points. A few air craft and a few tanks can effectively lock down a respawn room to the point you either stay inside the safety of the shields taking shots when you can or you redeploy either to a closer area to bring in air craft and tanks of your own or redeploy to a whole other area to fight.

I seriously doubt the devs had that in mind when designing respawn rooms. The problem comes when you are locked down inside a spawn room there is no way to get back into the fight if air craft and tanks camp at the shields pounding it with fire occasionally hitting through the shields damaging those inside. Add to that the doors and windows of respawn bases are not designed to allow multiple shooters at a time to help open the way to get infantry back into the fight.

The new bio lab is a perfect example of what not to do. It takes a long run up 5 flights of stairs to get to the teleporter to get into the vehicle spawn room. Then you have another good run across that area to another teleporter to get you actually inside the bio lab to defend it. Now with this design it makes it easy like other bases to hold choke points infantry are forced to go through to get inside to defend. The first is the vehiocle spawn room getting a harasser or sundy or two inside can effectively lock that down

Now if you are lucky to get past that the second choke point is the area leaving out of the spawn room actually inside the bio lab. A hand full of people at each of those points stops all defenders from being able to defend. So then they have to try to defend by spawning away from the bio lab in a connecting area to either use those teleporters or to use those launch pads in hopes that other attackers are not capping those areas surrounding it as well.

Most bases are set up very badly to defend even with an organized group of players. Why? At any time you can lock down the respawn room stopping from infantry from being able to get into the fight to defend areas is a bad design. What i suggest are these. They are not perfect but a good starting point.

Remove the respawn shields from the doors and windows and have it surround the whole area where you are to respawn from. Make it 20-30 meters away from the actual building so players can stand out fight hold cover fire and allow their forces to get to check points to be able to try and defend the base. This would allow defenders to take out air craft and tanks trying to stay close to the respawn room using steady fire to lock it down. And as such allow forces to get out and back into the fight.

The shield i propose goes clear around the base on all sides ans above it allowing players on the roof to help clear out air craft and all sides to take out tanks and vehicles foolish enough to get close to the spawn room hoping for a cert farm. This would help defend against zergs and respawn camping which most players absolutely hate.

I mean honestly are you going to get your vehicle or air craft or get infantry real close to a respawn where they can be shot and killed while unable to hit the enemy? I think this simple move would do far more in allowing defenders to get out and defend and help the flow of mindless zergs piling on an area and just camping the respawn room. Its unfun for those being trapped and not much fun for infantry at those bases taking points as most have to just stand around until an infiltrator comes or it gets capped.

This would allow for more interaction in battles as defenders can not be as easily respawn locked and attackers have to do more then pile in a large group and camp enemy respawn shields with vehicles hoping for a kill or two. Its just my opinion and how i feel. I'm sure some like to be able to respawn camp and would not like this type of change. And i'm sure there are those who dislike being camped that would love this kind of change. For bases where the capture point is to close to spawning areas you could just move them out away from respawn areas where you actually have to be out and moving to capture those points.

Right now all i see is chaos once a respawn is locked down. You get idiotic infiltrators sniping from inside the shield at doors and windows blocking engineers with av turrets and HA's and maxes from being able to target enemy air craft and vehicles to open up a way out. And don't even get me started on the other idiots that stand there using small arms fire blocking areas of attacking at air craft and vehicles. Its no wonder some love farming at respawn areas with so many crowding at doors trying to open up a way out to defend. This would spread them out and make firing at those trying to camp respawn areas much easier and thus harder for it to be completely locked down.
  2. Zolton34

So others thoughts on base designs?
  3. VanuAreWeak&Inferior

Personally, I think that spawn rooms should be inside buildings rather than being a small hut out in the open. I'd rather be spawn camped by MAXs/infantry than armour and air.
    • Up x 3
  4. Zolton34

The same here but i'd rather not be camped at all personally. I'd rather be out there fighting then having our respawn camped keeping us from getting back into the fight which respawns are supposed to be designed to do. They are meant to give you time to resupply and prepare then get out into the fight again. But as they are now they are far to easily locked down by air craft and vehicles making getting back into the fight impossible. Which is why i suggest a much larger shield that encases the whole respawn area and allows you to clear the area to get back into the fight.
  5. VanuAreWeak&Inferior

A large shield doesn't look as cool as a well built building, though I imagine shields would help with optimization. Either would work in my book.
  6. Zolton34

My problem with having them to try to build another better base is clearly spelled out in how they did the new bio lab design. They seem to be trying to make the problem worse not better. And it be hard to design a respawn room where 48+ people trapped in a respawn room to be able to shoot out and clear a path to get out of that respawn room and to the points to defend them. Which is why i suggested a large shield encasing the whole base allowing for players to be able to get outside and be able to engage the enemy. if you can completely lock down your enemy where they can not get out or fight back that is bad designing in my book. and we already have many bases where this is not only possible but it happens on a daily basis. And now they are looking to add bio labs to that list sadly.