New tank changes not touching important detail.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hotbread, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Hotbread

So the idea of the new tank changes is to get tanks to be more on the front lines and less inclined to stay back at a safe distance and farm.
    I love this idea. But the main hinder for me doing that in my tank is C4. The fact that 100% of light assaults and at least 50% of other infantry have the ability to instantly kill me if they get close prevents me from charging into any battle.
    imagine if flack cannons were 1-shot-one -kill, do you think liberators or ESFs would ever get close to a battle?
    My solution would be to make it so C4 still kills smaller vehicles but no longer instantly blows up tanks, just leaving them with say 30% hp.
    This would still disable them and force them to retreat, or if you wanted to take the tank out you'd actually have to use teamwork instead of 'rambo mode' jetpacking on top of a tank and blowing it up yourself.

Additional points
    Light assault should not be the go-to AV class.
    People who defend C4 call for tankers to have more situational awareness, but really what they're saying is one infantry man, who can fly sneaking up on your giant obvious tank, should be able to kill you because you let yourself get snuck up on in a battle with 100+ people and you appear on everyone's radar.
    Please discuss, i'm aware of my bias and I'd like to hear feedback.
    • Up x 16
  2. Phyr

They don't want you closer to the base, they want you closer to other vehicles. If you're still worried about C4, get an AI secondary and a competent gunner.
    • Up x 12
  3. Tuco

You mean to say that tanks should stop farming and get closer within infantry render distance? Well that don't make a whole lot of sense.
    • Up x 3
  4. Elrobochanco

It's almost like they want vehicles to have to wager more in order to be rewarded.
    • Up x 6
  5. KnightCole

They shorten the range, nerf the blastradius and want them to get closer to the fight....

The stabilization is cool, but the rest? lolwut?!

tanks only stayed at a distance cuz to get anywhere near a fight meant certain death. Its not like tanks have any blast radius or anything......
    • Up x 8
  6. Phyr

Changing velocity and gravity wont affect a tanks ability to hit a large, not moving target (bases), since all you need to do is compensate for drop. These changes will affect your ability to hit smaller, moving targets, such as other tanks, which is the reason for the change. Shelling bases from 200m away wont be any different after this.
    • Up x 1
  7. SuperMedicated

That's because SOE is too lazy to introduce the new resource system and you know the rest
    • Up x 3
  8. Rhumald

We've actually had bullet velocities nerfed, and then somewhat rebuffed, in the past. The fact of the matter is that tankers with any experience refuse to engage within hostile infantry combat zones, and likewise, often refuse to leave their own infantry combat zones.

I often take advantage of this with my fully certed AP lightning to get around the infantry frontline, and help deal critical damage to opposing tank columns, but my playstyle is overly aggressive, and I've seen my fair share of untimely deaths from the infantry mobs. I do not blame tankers for wanting to be able to keep their distance in the current state of things

That said, tanks, again, like to use an infantry buddy system, or will just hop out of their tanks/flashes to C4 you, because they'll get the kill that way. I keep a fairly safe distance for this same reason, and it's the reason we saw the initial velocity rebuff, people at a distance will just aim higher otherwise; when it's too dangerous to get closer, people don't, because vehicle resources are precious, and we don't like waiting through respawn timers either (some of which are a 1/2 hour +).

This is what everyone wanted, they wanted people to respect their rides. Now we do, and a lot of us feel like we're being punished for it. I know it's small, but it's significant, especially for hte slower tanks, like Vanguards, that need to rely on that velocity buff becuase they're slow.
    • Up x 5
  9. Sixstring

The problem is a light assault can place and detonate 2 C4 before a tank can reload it's cannon,the problem is it takes pretty much 2 shots to kill 1 infantry while the infantry can instakill a tank. Infantry are just too powerful vs vehicles but the developers instead of making vehicles the powerhouses they should be are instead catering to the have not's and punishing the people who actually pull vehicles just because some stubborn players think that their soft infantry should have the same or greater killing potential than someone else's tank.
    • Up x 5
  10. Phyr

The problem is bad tankers letting infantry get that close. Lone wolfs don't get any sympathy, neither should 1/2 tanks.
    • Up x 4
  11. Iridar51

The only reason infantry has to resort to C4 is because of how completely ineffective rocket launchers are.
    • Up x 6
  12. Elrobochanco

This is 100% false unless you mean a lightning running HE. A tank has two guns, and any of the secondaries can put out the damage needed to swat squishies in C4ing range. If you are firing on a person running at your tank and you lose the engagement you should have aimed better, or backed up and aimed better, or had your gunner aim better, or any number of possible solutions.

Maybe I just fell for bait because it's kind of funny that you call players stubborn for thinking they should be able to kill tanks, but that it's obviously fine for players wanting to be invincible in their tanks. This is planetside, everything is meant to die eventually.

Being able to kill a tank is not the same as having greater killing potential than a tank. It's just the potential to counter. C4ing a MAX is killing one guy, C4in a tank can be two tops, in most circumstances either of those has killed several before being stopped. This is balance.
    • Up x 4
  13. FateJH

Rocket launchers are not inefffective. The problem is that most people feel that they're the only person who is trying to accomplish anything and to that end rocket launchers are "useless." Get a team of rocket launchers together focusing on targets, they're no longer so ineffective; isn't that the least that can be expected of one of the most common Infantry classes in the game? Until then, 2 C4 destroys any vehicle and it's "something I can do by myself."

And the "something I can do by myself" mentality is something we have to cater much more gingerly in this game.

So, let us not belittle each other's arguments. The problem is not that "Infantry can destroy tanks [at all]." The problem is that a single Infantry can dominate an MBT quickly, and that has always been the issue with C4 distribution as was the problem with AV MANA turrets.
    • Up x 7
  14. Hotbread

The idea is to not be alone. 3 guys with rocket launchers make short work of a tank.
    1 infantry man should not be able to take on a tank, it's well. A FREAKING TANK. It should have to take teamwork to kill, the same way it takes more than 1 lock on to kill a ESF.
    • Up x 3
  15. Gammit

Does top reinforced armor help prevent against C4 attacks?
  16. Hotbread

Considering you can get C4 put on any part of your tank, not really. Plus top armor takes the place of auto-repair, I'm not giving that up!
  17. Tuco

I don't see the reason for the change
  18. FateJH

Only Blockade Armor on a Sunderer provides the said land Vehicle any additional C4 resistance.

Edit: Rather than make another post, I'll just piggyback on this one.
    Another thing SOE is neglecting is that being "on the frontlines" often puts tanks close enough to the enemy base that they are well within risking range of LA C4. Heck, halfway between most bases is AV MANA turret range, or the range of being shot by emplaced turrets in the enemy base, or lock-on range. Like it or not, the places where actual tank engagements can happen are few and far between, espeically if it is tank CQC (at whatever range is considered CQC for tanks).
  19. Metalsheep

Not only that, but the way the directional damage on a vehicle works is wonky iirc.

The damage is judged by where you are standing when the damage is delt, not where the impact came from.

So, if i C4 the top of your tank, and fly behind you before detonating, it will judge the damage as rear armor damage. even though the C4 was on top.
  20. Iridar51

For infantry man to destroy a tank in such a way, he needs to be in very close proximity to the immobile tank for at least several seconds. In the meantime, that same tank can effortlessly and risk free take out any number of infantry within render distance, and each shot is a potential OHK. If all else fails, driver can always just abandon his vehicle, and descend to the level of the infantryman that's trying to attack him.

Do you honestly mean to tell me that killing tanks with C4 is just as easy/easier than taking out infantry with a tank?
    • Up x 5