New spiker details

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Drstrangewolf, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Drstrangewolf

Apparently its comes down to this
    Normal mode is standard 2xburst dealing the normal amount of damage with same , while charge up mode is a 4 round burst without charging, but requires the charge up to extend its min and max range damage while still using the 2 round burst animation with more WUB. This going to change things at CQC ranges since the charge seems pointless as hell with the protobuild here since you can get 4x shots off as fast as 2x, but with reduced range where drops off.

Whats your opinion
  2. abaddun

The spiker feels like a desperado and commissioner rolled into one with a fast reload and bugger all recoil and bloom. I do feel that the changes being featured on the PTS will make the weapon incredibly powerful, and unfortunately, I fear that if it goes through without the other two faction pistols being buffed, the spiker will eventually be nerfed back into uselessness.
    Brought to you by the power of Copy/Paste
  3. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Honestly it seemed to me like they accidentally granted the charge damage to the uncharged shots as well in charge mode.
    It's way powerful.
    If uncharged damage is to be the same as in regular burst mode, I feel the charge shot itself could be a bit more powerful.
    Still, the 2 shot burst is good. Horribly unimaginative, but good.
  4. eldarfalcongravtank

as long as the primary firemode 2-round burst still has the low damage-per-second output like it is on live, the Spiker won't be a competitive burstfire pistol.

why should i take a pistol that is harder and less rewarding to use (due to low damage) than comparable NS/VS sidearms?

the secondary firemode, be it with or without charge-up, remains nothing but a gimmick to me
  5. patrykK1028

The Spiker 3.0 vs Desperado:
    167 dmg vs 167 dmg
    526 rpm vs 500 rpm
    18 rounds mag vs 14 rounds mag
    BUT
    84 min dmg vs 100 min dmg - thats 2 dmg tiers drop and I think its enough. If you think it isnt, let me explain you that: take any weapon in the game. I will take Orion LMG for example. It has 143 dmg. But 2 tiers less dmg would mean 112 dmg. Can you see that now?
  6. Ztiller

The devs have aalrleady saaid on Reddit that the current Spiker on the PTS is unintentional.
  7. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Though what part, they didn't.
    It currently has a charge mode that allows for a single high damage shot, but uncharged shots in chargemode also get that damage, and the ammo consumption, allowing you to run through your magazine in 4.5 bursts, dealing around 400 dmg per projectile.
    I can see how that's unintential. If they mean the fire rate, then that'd be sad.
    I hope they at least improve it, one way or the other.
  8. minhalexus

You forgot the Spiker Charge mode.

I think they should do one of the following:-

• Buff the Desperado to 16 round mag
    • Nerf the Spiker to 16 round mag
    • Nerf the Spiker firerate to 500 RPM

Also, I would like to know the "Minimum damage @ x meter" value.
    If the Spiker has higher minimum damage range, then it will need further nerfs.

So for example, if it reaches that 84 dmg at 50m, then it's okay. If it's 60m, then it needs a nerf to 50m.
  9. BobSanders123

I would like to see a VS pistol that fires a continuos laser beam.
  10. HyperMatrix

Maelstrom did that in PS1 (although not a pistol...). It was...interesting, but not as great as other weapons. The only reason it was awesome is because it had a secondary fire mode that used up more ammo to lob a "chain grenade." Also one problem with this is the increased visibility. Especially if you're a cloaker. You don't want a shiny beam of light between you and your target announced to the world around you.
  11. patrykK1028

But you cant use charge in first firing mode...
    And many people dont give a f**k about charge at all and only want good burst pistol. Just like me.
    I think the actual Spiker 3.0 is the best option - its good burst pistol and also has somehow useful charge, if somebody wants to use it.
  12. minhalexus

Fast firing mode is still a pro, just like x3 burst is for the Jackhammer.
    I generally don't care about the x3 burst either, but sometimes I do use it.

I think they should make one of the 3 adjustments I suggested.
    Buffing Desperado to 16 rounds would prolly be the best.
  13. MonnyMoony

Yep - i'm the same. I use the current Spiker simply because I find it a bit easier to use than the Commissioner - but I never use the charge up function.

Charge just feels so wrong in a pistol. So many other VS weapons that would benefit from a charge mechanic - why waste it on perhaps the most inappropriate type of weapon.

Just give VS a decent burst pistol option - even if its in the form of an NS weapon.
  14. eldarfalcongravtank

OR keep the Spiker as it is, for people who actually enjoy a charge-up sidearm (i am not one of them)

and make an NS burstfire sidearm with the stats of a weaker Repeater but a bit higher accuracy and lower recoil...boom, id be so happy! screw Vanu pistols, for real:mad:
    • Up x 1
  15. vanu123

It is still trash, albeit shiny interesting trash, but nonetheless it is what it is.
  16. Paqu

And why exactly do you think its still trash? It now has slightly better DPS than Desperado which I find to be a solid pistol and the trigger delay is gone.

Its DPS went from ~1000 to 1464. Pretty big buff. The charge up mode is just a bonus and I dont really care about it. Now its finally a good pistol to finish off wounded targets and works for stalkers as well.
  17. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Love the new spiker. That kind of Spike would do nicely on a Battlerifle, btw.
    AR CoF and Velocity, 30 rounds -> Rifle. :D

Nice effect on the charge, a bit massive maybe, but hey, rule of cool.
    The weapon's a bit too good for it's own good, however, given that the desperado is now clearly worse.
  18. vanu123

Charge up weapons are meant to be used in groups at long range, in close charge is suicide.
  19. vanu123

Fixed it.
  20. minhalexus

Manipulating mah posts eh? :mad:

I'm sorry, I don't see where I said that or implied that.

I'm fine with VS getting the Spiker as described in this thread, however in this case, give the Desperado a 2 round buff, and increase the damage drop-off range from 50m to 60m, to match the Spiker (of this thread).

The Spiker (of this thread) is OP compared to the current Desperado.
    But that's been taken care of.

The new Spiker is fairly balanced, the devs might want to change back the refire time, but the general stats seem balanced.