New SMG and pistols on the test server.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Plague Rat, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Plague Rat

For those that don't know, or even know there's a test server, the new build is up and each empire got a new pistols. They're pretty awesome. Made a post in the Test forums of overviews and impressions, but for everyone else, go test them and get acquainted.

THE VS AND TR GUNS HAVE CLEAR SIGHTS.

The SMG is a little meh, as far as it's damage and DPS goes but it's accurate as hell and has the same clip and damage ranges as a carbine so that'll play nice for infi's that can't use carbines. Could be a decent edition to the infi arsenal.
  2. DeathSparx

The NS SMG doesn't surprise me; NS weapons pride themselves on accuracy over damage. It along with the new pistols should be nice to play with on the test-server.
  3. DrankTHEKoolaid

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had time to spend on the test server lately but mentioning new pistols and SMG's will force me to load it up.
  4. CuteBeaver

I just tried out the New SMG:

SIRIUS:
    125dmg @ 6 meters / 84dmg @ 42 meters.
    ROF = 845 rounds @ 400 m/s

ERIDANI:
    143dmg @ 6 meters / 91dmg @ 42 meters.
    ROF = 750 rounds @ 369 m/s

NS-7 PDW:
    125dmg @ 15 meters/100dmg @ 65 meters.
    ROF = 750 rounds @ 400 m/s

Here are my impressions:

NS-7 has the exact same damage up close as the Sirius but only has a 30 round clip. The difference being that instead of its damage dropping off at around 40 meters to 84 its "effective damage range" extends much further.

So at 20 and 30 meters you can kill a target far more quickly using the NS SMG then the sirius. This is nice and all however we are only talking about a few rounds difference. 1-3 headshots and 2-6 bodyshots at most. This difference may not be very noticeable but its significant enough to mention in terms of time to kill.

Beyond 30 meters there is a problem with the new NS-SMG. The recoil is so horrible that if you ADS on a target at 40-50 meters MANY of your shots are going to end up missing. So consider anything beyond 30-40 meters out your "real effective" range. This is dispointing considering the guns damage drop of is at 65 meters. I would call this misleading advertising because the chances of us actually hitting at that range is abysmal even with the highest powered scopes.

For the record I tried using compensator's and forward grips to overcome this issue when aiming down sights but it had minimal effects. The bonuses were hardly noticeable and I felt like I was sacrificing the guns epic hipfire by trying to make up for its ****** accuracy at longer ranges. I found when trying push the gun and take down targets which were beyond 35-40 meters I was being frivolous with my ammo. Aiming at anything that far away means your basically going to be throwing all your precious bullets at a target that is likely to get away find cover, or even just outlive your spray.

The SIRIUS on the other had CAN throw bullets at targets at range because it has a 50 round clip. 20 extra rounds make all the difference for doing something like this. Ironically you probably have better odds pushing a SIRIUS then an NS-7 PDW on a distant target.

The extended mag was available for the NS-7 PDW but I could comfortably kill 2 targets between 20-30 meters w/o having to reload with about 10 shots left in the clip give or take. Sometimes it was 9 other times it was 16. Meaning for me the advanced laser was a much better option.

When I put the advanced laser on the gun, and equipped a nice reflex scope that is where the gun really began to shine. It has the same epic hipfire potential as the Sirius but also carries farther distances better. As I mentioned before it takes 1-3 less headshots to kill at those ranges and 2-6 less body shots as well. While small this is in essence like removing your enemies Max ranks of nanoweave in battle.

It also has the niche of having a suppressor, and since its more reliable at ranges of 20-30 meters that could make it effective for more of a silenced SMG play style.

The SIRIUS is still the best all round SMG. The recoil on the Sirius is easier to manage then NS-7 PDW's. I am not sure "WHY" since both have the exact same recoil stats. It could be the rate of fire having some influence but the NS-7 PDW's recoil was a little harder for me to manage.Couple that with the lack of bullets to throw down range and I would not recommend the NS-7 PDW to a new infiltrator.

The NS-7 PDW is not a very forgiving weapon but the lower TTK at 20-30 meters is worth investigation. I will probably still end up buying one, but the Sirius is not getting taken off my loadout because I feel the sirius is a far more flexible weapon and handles exceptionally well.
  5. Bennybones

As an infil, do you regularly find yourself trying to kill people at 30m though? It just seems to me like a bit of a waste. I would much have preferred it to be a higher damage SMG. Currently, at least for the TR side, I see no purpose for this weapon.
  6. VSDerp

ill just buy the NS smg for medals and the pistols meh ill pass.
  7. DeadliestMoon

Don't worry, you can buy more loadouts!
  8. SpaceHobo

can someone upload pictures of the new pistols [especially the desperado]?
    Im too lazy to re-install my testversion.
  9. DeathSparx

I believe I should add:

CYCLONE:
    167dmg @ 6 meters / 100dmg @ 42 meters
    ROF = 652 rounds @ 360 m/s

BLITZ:
    125dmg @ 6 meters / 84dmg @ 42 meters.
    ROF = 845 rounds @ 360 m/s

In my opinion, I believe the NS-7 PDW does have a place but I wouldn't necessarily say it's as comparable to the smgs as the auto-scout rifles. And since all ASRs are the same:

STALKER:
    143dmg @ 10 meters / 125 @ 65 meters
    ROF: 652 rounds @ 500 m/s

I would argue that the NS-7 PDW is a more versatile weapon since it has a decent ammo capacity (at 30 rounds in a clip with 4 mags in reserve) and similar damage drop-off to the ASRs. The difference is that the ASRs are still better medium range weapons than the NS-7 due to better damage at range, higher muzzle velocity, and better ADS accuracy. The NS-7 has better hipfire accuracy than the ASRs and rightfully so since it still is an smg. I believe the NS-7 can compete as a close-medium range weapon but is versatile enough that if two guys corner you, you can comfortably take them out with only a single clip.

However, my final verdict is that it won't be replacing my cyclone anytime soon as I'm usually too close to make good use of the PDWs great accuracy at medium range and I prefer the cyclone's damage since I'm so close to my targets. The NS-7 is a great weapon, just not for me.
    • Up x 1