New LA sound effect not so bad- a reformed LA's perspective

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Aegie, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Aegie

First, I have to apologize and admit that I overreacted to the news about the changes in the LA jetpack.

Some thoughts:

The worst thing about the new sound, as DJPenguin pointed out in another thread, is that there seems to be an inconsistency in the loudness when you press spacebar. Sometimes it sounds like it always did, sometimes it is loud and abrupt like an explosion, and other times it seems somewhere in between and more like aggressive thrusting- which I like ;).

IMO, the loud explosion is a bit much and if it consistently sounded like this I would probably have a different opinion but I think I may actually prefer the one in the middle over the way it was before because it does sound more like you would think a jetpack would sound. Perhaps this is intentional, however, with the reason being you will not necessarily give a constant report of your position when you are "feathering" or repeatedly pressing the spacebar, idk.

In any event, the sound is not that bad- however:

I still have trouble understanding why the LA would be singled out for a nerf when they are the only class without a tool, one of the least played classes and one of the lowest scoring classes.

IMO, in the future, it may be a wiser approach to introduce these kinds of changes (I will refrain from using the word that sounds like turf) along with the class revamp material. You see, in the absence of any kind of extra goodies, tools, abilities (sounds like puffs) these changes will always be poorly received- especially if they are applied to something that, at least in many ways, is was underperforming compared to others.

There were several posters in other threads on the subject who made a good point that the jets probably needed changing before LAs could get something extra because otherwise the rest of the community would be likely to protest. Of course, my response to this is- that is a good point but why, when LAs are one of the least scoring classes, would you not wait to introduce something like this along with the LA revamp?

If, for instance, we had something positive to look forward to when we signed on as well (like a new tool- hint hint) then finding out we had to trade a little of something else for that would not only be a bit more like balance but would feel more like balance too.
    • Up x 3
  2. Charlie

This, very much.

As a primary LA player, I always feel I have no real role other than an infantry sweeper. Admittedly, the class does perform well at that if you can take people by surprise, but I personally thought it was a bit underpowered.

If you're going to make a change like the one that has been made, it should go with some additions too. Light Assault was probably the class that is complained about least, and I didn't really see a need for it to change.
    • Up x 1
  3. S0LAR15

I like the middle sound too.

I'm already having people tell me the boom/gunshot "loud" one mixes in with all the other weapon noise. So it's useless anyway.
  4. jak

Don't forget they've pushed our balance pass back a second time as well. It's nice to know where you sit on the priority queue lol.
  5. Purple

I play LA alot also. I am not thrilled with the new sound i find that in large battles people tune it out like always and only look around if you start shooting at them. this may be a larger disadvantage in quiet areas but in the big fights its the same as before.
  6. GraphicJ

You and me brother.