New gun models for the Corvus and Ursa (PICS)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MarthKoopa, May 28, 2013.

1. MarthKoopa

So... they look kinda cool in the previews (the Ursa in particular, and only the front half of each, the back half is still awful):
    Ursa
    [IMG]

Corvus
    [IMG]

But, the modellers show their total incompetency for modelling guns that look good in first person view once again. The Ursa in particular is a total mess in first person. The parts just really conflict with each other and the viewing angle so you don't even see most of the design... just a blob of incoherence that makes no sense whatsoever (and, of course, the back half of the guns are still the same dull copy/paste part used on ALL of our guns that doesn't match the rest of the gun)

Ursa
    [IMG]

Corvus
    [IMG]

Ugh. These are the TWO GUNS that I use the most, but their new models look even worse (in first person) than their previous models.

Side note: the Nova uses the same model as the Corvus, and all of the other guns have not changed. Just these 3.
  2. Fned

Eh, as long as I can finally tell my Corvus from my Pulsar C at a glance, I'm good.

(I switch classes a lot)
  3. MarthKoopa

Huh? They look completely different on live. The Corvus is long and flat (the only half decent VS gun model currently, it's a shame they're going to ruin it), while the Pulsar C is short and fat with a block of black things in the middle.
  4. Fned

I was mostly kidding. They do look pretty much the same when you're running around and shooting at stuff, though.
  5. KlyptoK

Vanu guns all look the same to me. The only time I went "WHOA THAT'S DIFFERENT" was that one rifle that did that weird ribcage claw thing when you fire it.
  6. Kuklakot

Could be worse. You could have magazine floating under the gun like NC Anchor has right now on live.
  7. MarthKoopa

That's because they ARE all the same, except the assault rifles ;) . The carbines have two types that look slightly different, but the LMGs, Sniper Rifles, and Battle/Scout rifles are all completely identical, except the butt stock or whatever it's called, which you can't even see, obviously.

The Ursa looks like it will be the first LMG to get a redesign. These models are definitely WIP (their ADS placement is completely broken, too), but the direction they're going is awful.
  8. Phrygen

lasher?
  9. MarthKoopa

I would most definitely rather have a slight glitch in the model, rather than the model itself being completely awful. Also, our hands and forward grips are still never in the right spots, so NYEH.

Also, the textures STILL don't render properly at all. Instead of looking purple like in the preview (or in the proper lighting at night), it's a terrible dull grey + nasty reflection topped off with a hideous hex pattern.
  10. KlyptoK

Yeah that thing I guess? I'm not sure. :S

Is that a real weapon? I thought it was a toy.

But seriously, it was in the video Higby showed presenting a preview of the new lasher mechanics and the soon to be introduced harassers and other features:

Since I don't regularly play Vanu I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.
  11. MarthKoopa

It is not a weapon and most definitely a toy, and a very ugly one at that.
  12. Phrygen

BS

lasher is the best ES heavy weapon compared to the TR/NC ones. Lasher actually servers a very deadly purpose when used properly and in groups.
  13. KlyptoK

I found it very amusing that almost nobody was getting hit despite all the spam. Although it isn't much of a ranged weapon because of the low velocity.

14. MarthKoopa

Lasher serves no purpose because an Orion can not only suppress just as well, but it can actually kill people who try to run into the suppression.

A weapon that has to be "used in groups" to achieve anything is a bad weapon when a "solo" weapon is far more effective in the first place.
  15. Phrygen

orions have 1m of splash damage? oh wait they dont. they cant supress even remotely as well. mkay.

weapons that are better used in groups are bad weapons? Ok lets all stop using strykers and lancers then.

/facepalm
  16. MarthKoopa

Splash is irrelevant when the splash barely does anything. Ttee hee, you tickled a guy and he backed up two inches to let his shield recharge.

Bullets that actually hurt are much better at suppressing. Shoot them into a doorway to let the enemy know you're there, they won't charge out and die because they know you're looking there with a weapon that can cause serious damage. That's FAR better suppression than letting the enemy know you have a weapon that they can defeat in a 1 on 1 shootout no problem.

A weapon that needs to be in a group to be effective is a bad weapon, yes. You could have all those same people use a weapon that doesn't "need a group", and suddenly you have a far more powerful group.

The Lancer and Striker don't need to be used in groups.

How about you hit yourself in the face harder so you can get some sense knocked into you.
  17. Phrygen

eh... we must disagree then. my fav part was when you said "they just had to back up" to recharge shield when dealing with a lasher... but its no good at suppression, and then brought up 1v1 battles when the whole point is its good in groups.
    • Up x 1
  18. EliteEskimo

LOL everyone being shot at in the video, even sunderers, were like

[IMG]
    • Up x 6
  19. MarthKoopa

It's not good at suppression because the person can easily trace where they are coming from, the jump out and kill you before your pathetic little orbs can do anything.

And a group of Orion users > Lasher users. 1 Orion for each enemy, or 5 Lashers for each enemy? You be the judge.
  20. Wulfen109

You: "Hey SOE, check out these weapon aesthetic deigns i made!"
    Devs: "Hmm... These weapons look pretty distinct from the others."
    You: "Uh yea they are. I thought it--"
    Devs: "Are you ******* crazy?!?" *Makes brand new weapon with identical appearance as original, and puts on marketplace*