New Deathscreen Quit the whining already, read why

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Balrock, Mar 13, 2014.

1. asdfPanda

^This guy, I like this guy.

To the people that argue that the death minimap is no different from directional hit indicators:

The reason for adding the death minimap was to help new players and prevent random death. If both serve the same purpose, then players should be taught to learn how to use directional hit indicators through the tutorial system.
    • Up x 2
  2. Balrock

Hack turrets/terminals
    Put recon dart / Motion sensors up
    stay invisible and spot the hell out of the enemy
    put down proxies ( only other class that can is engi so I'd still count to to be mainly an infiltrator thing )

You missinterpret, a lot of players actually WILL notice you when you shoot at a group of people busy in a battle, you are just a low priority on their hit list. A tank or advancing infantry is a much larger threat to them unless they don't move at all and scream at you "Shoot me please"

Won't tell you how to play the game but if you are using Stalker with a crossbow you'll naturally have a hard time. with Stalker you trade away your main weapon, for infiltrator that's basically all long range weapon since the crossbow stops being useful at a certain range due to boltdrop and traveltime. Stalker will be much more effective with a NS weapon since it takes out enemies quickly if relatively close.

posted this before but again, Stalker cloak gives you the ability to stay cloaked forever, if you were say 50m away, even if I get insta revived after you killed me, if you go cloak and crouch I'm not going to find you. No matter if death indication or not

Stalker cloak reinforces staying on the move since you can slip by enemies without going decloak, ever. if you want to try and snipe with stalker cloak and a secondary, go ahead and do so, just don't expect the game to help you with it.

Ever interpreted it as a " OK the shot came from here so if I want to stay alive next time I should probably get some cover in that direction" instead of a " Oh the shot came from over there so that's where I have to go to kill him" type of thing for new players?
  3. DeadlyPeanutt

if you're a half decent sniper, YOU will get the undeserved kill because the unaware player will walk directly towards you. also you won't be in exactly the same position. this feature punishes campers and bad snipers, both of which are way too prevalent in this game.
  4. asdfPanda

Certainly both. Preventing death is the first step in killing your killer/camper.
  5. Kunavi

The Death Screen is good, all I would add is no direction feed if Suppressor, wider cone of direction feed if not, narrower cone but not a LINE in other cases. That is all, the rest of it is appealing to me and I'm happy with all the information currently displayed. Making it optional would be great too.
  6. AFK1

I don't particularly care, but it seems like this was only added to make the game more like Battlefield
  7. Bl4ckVoid

Anything that hurts infiltrators is good. The game is literally crawling with invisible people and it is mightily annoying.

I really hope PS 2 gets some competition (other persistent world shooter), because the balance is totally out of whack. Vehicle and infiltrator spam is getting on my nerves, the game is really really good when there is a good infantry fight, but that is too rare. You either have to search for invisible guys or run away from vehicles.
  8. Tenebrae Aeterna

It's extremely obvious that you have absolutely no idea what situations I'm talking about...

These weren't situations where I was a minor threat, especially seeing as how I systematically took each individual out as their comrades obliviously continued trying to pick off the enemy only to then die by my hand soon after. One of these situations took place on Indar between two bases within relatively close proximity of one another, and while I wish I had names of these locations memorized...I don't. Either way, the one base has a wall with two phalanx turrets directly above it and the enemy was piling up there to shoot down the road towards my allies. I took the time to traverse the significant distance and get up onto that wall where I then nestled myself in the corner directly against the mountainside. From there, I used the crossbow to just shoot directly down the line of enemies and kill them one at a time. The phalanx turrets masked my cloaking sound, the crossbow ensured my position wasn't revealed, and I must have killed nearly twenty oblivious infantry who never even once turned to look around. The only time they ever even looked around was when they returned from death, to glance once left and right before lining right back up against that wall. Finally, I was killed because I started eating and shooting at the same time which caused my cloaking behavior to become sluggish and had me caught. I went back and had a moderate degree of repeat success because, again, people are oblivious and don't communicate.

This was one time...and I'll paint another more recent memory for you. On Amerish at the base with the energy bridge, Terran Republic soldiers piled up on the hill right by their spawn overlooking the toxic water so that they could engage New Conglomerate soldiers across the way. Meanwhile, my forces had already attacked this location and failed...but I remained behind because I saw the NC trying their luck. Regardless, I positioned myself right behind that hill at a tree and proceeded to do the same thing that I did above.....................one person turned around to look, one person. There was about seven people on that hill, their forces had already crossed the bridge and they were just there providing support and dying by my hand without never once turning around. Finally, one individual, spotted me when I uncloaked and tried to take me out.....................he was the only person who did. Obviously he didn't communicate with the rest of them, they moved on as he tried to hunt me down...and ended up getting killed two more times before he too finally left the region.

We are shown that the vast majority of Planetside 2 players lack situational awareness in almost every last video posted on youtube, it's not just a new player phenomenon...it's a skill that very few people learn to develop. I, myself, don't have great situational awareness.

These two examples were two out of several where I used the Stalker Cloaking device and the Crossbow to exploit the fact that many players lack this skill. I could continue on with examples, like when I knelt behind the railing in a tower's vehicle spawn platform and continued to kill everyone who came to pull a tank...how they ran around that area in circles trying to shoot without ever once realizing that I was BEHIND the railing...even began guarding one another so they could pull vehicles which only resulted in me taking the one guarding out first and, amusingly enough, them STILL not noticing where it was coming from. That's with the crossbow, where it takes two relatively slow shots to kill someone.................................and they still didn't have the response time to catch me nor did they bother to focus on the hit indicators.

Saying that all these people were new players is absolutely ridiculous when we see, in every video posted on youtube, just how prominent the lack of situational awareness is in Planetside 2. This mechanic is a crutch, it's a crutch for a skill that we are supposed to develop over time through playing the game..............just like learning to aim your weapon. This lowers the skill bar by providing everyone with artificial situational awareness upon death...a time when the chaos has calmed and they can look and go, "Oh, I'm such an idiot...wasn't paying attention to the hit markers again." then spawn and run right towards that location to hunt down the killer. The fact that these situations are often close to a spawn point ensures that they're back pretty fast. Stalker Cloak punishes mobility, and if you that running away while cloaked when someone is actively LOOKING for that distortion effect is easy...well, you should look at videos showing what the effect looks like on medium to ultra settings.

That's not the point though, the point is that the skill bar is drastically lowered and flanking is no longer nearly as rewarding in these situations. Instead of landing yourself a multitude of kills and actually helping your faction out by weakening the entrenched forces from behind...you kill one or two people before they drive you away.

This is why I compare it to an aim bot...because it's the same thing for a different type of skill. It's providing a crutch for a skill that we are supposed to learn, just like an aim bot.

This doesn't just hurt Infiltrators, this hurts every class who flanks the enemy and performs the function I listed above. It waters down solo flanking and trivializes the strategy. Many individuals from all classes have found themselves doing what I listed above...and the reason it's so rewarding is the fact that the majority of the Planetside 2 community lacks situational awareness in chaotic situations. This lets flanking infantry get the drop on oblivious infantry and whittle down their forces when they're entrenched with them never noticing until they have been weakened to a point that your forces can push forward and crush them.
    • Up x 3
  9. Akeita

If you are talking about a sniper hacking stuff then that's clearly not smart and as effective as those are SMGs infiltrator stuff.
    OUR class got 3 loadouts :
    - Close/Long range sniping, once we get this loadouts out, don't expect us to do anything else other than sniping engineers on turrets/infantry.

- SMGs infiltrators, which can fight and put down darts

- Stalkers, and stalkers is the only class is suppose to do your job listed above

And, stop arguing with Tenebrae already, clearly you don't have as much experience on infiltrator like he does.
  10. BillBoBaggins

If you die from the person you just killed because they saw the "killcam" then it is your own fault.A good infil will relocate after each kill unless you are in a farm spot.Good infils use their equipment to their advantage.
  11. Vaphell

yeah, a sniper who did everything right totally should run like an idiot all over the place for the sake of it, just to increase the risk of being seen and showing up on recon darts.
    Care to explain if the sniping prowlers should relocate after every kill too or maybe they have licence to farm, unlike the snipers proper?
  12. BillBoBaggins

Did i say run around like a idiot? Infils have cloaks,so not to be running around like a idiot....unless you are one of them pussehs with stalker cloak who just sits in one spot.
  13. Wobberjockey

i love how people are legitimizing the new death screen based on it ' hurting lone wolf flankers/snipers'

when it really hurts EVERYONE who wants to take advantage of people being distracted.

is it somehow more legit of only infiltrators and snipers get hurt by a change?
    are they not a legit class because people simply don't understand how we can materially affect a battle field?
  14. Eugenitor

I honestly don't care what information is or isn't on it, because I refuse to even look at the ******* thing. I care that it's unbelievably obnoxious, and this combined with the abject mutilation of Amerish means that I'm just ******* done with this game because I literally cannot play for five minutes without wanting to kill something for real.
  15. Paisty

So many tears from people that can't stand a watered down version of a staple feature of the FPS genre.

Shoot and move like a good sniper and you will not have a problem.
  16. Vaphell

So cloaks don't have a downside and can be spammed at will with no consequences? Ever heard that fart sound that can go beyond 200m and makes infiltrator's presence painfully obvious? It gets infiltrators killed if there is even 1 player using his ears around.

This "innocent change" forces overusing cloak and running after every shot which translates to way more exposure (higher risk of being seen by accident or heard and that's on top of players knowing where to look for vengeance) which means more frequent visits at the respawn screen. No influence on playstyles my ***.
    • Up x 2
  17. Wobberjockey

bad sniper spotted.
  18. Camycamera

nope. 9/10 times that sniper wont be spotted for you. all it will tell you is the DIRECTION of where you got shot from, which is pretty much the same as the damage indicator on your HUD.

people are completely overeating and hating on this "kill cam" (even though it isn't) for the sake of hating on a kill cam.

now, what is this killcam in a nutshell?

it takes existing information that players such as myself already know, and makes it easier for new players to digest.

now on to that "oh, but if you are spotted it shows our direct position to players!"

wrong. why? because chances are, that person who has been spotted has ALREADY been seen my the player before he is killed by that player.
  19. Camycamera

actually i argue that that is basically what the killcam does. when you get killed, 9/10 times it will show you the direction you got killed from, just like damage indicators. they are pretty much the same thing. sure, it doesn't TEACH new players to use damage indicators as feedback, but it just shows them in a more clear way.
  20. lxELeSSaRxl

do you even play the role? a good sniper doesnt get counter sniped BECAUSE he doesnt get spoted in the first place, the zerg doesnt have a clue of were hes sniping, mainly because hes not spaming like a ******, showing traces to everyone, h uses the rule: 1 shot, 1 kill, and most of the time his killstreak ends... because he runed out of ammo.
    Now, i cant do this, i may get a couple of kills to get instantly swarmed by those 2 players that i killed.. skill required to do that? NONE