New Crown On The Test Server

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Skippytjc, May 9, 2013.

1. TeknoBug

I was just on my NC on Helios a couple hours ago and we had this really long fight on the bridge between TI and Crown, it was nuts. I haven't been near the Crown in a long time because I've been playing on Amerish and Esamir more often on all my toons.

On Matherson the Next Big Thing is now Mesa skydocks.
  2. Cl1mh4224rd

That mindset mostly being simply "show up and fire your weapon in any one of three directions".
  3. Takoita

Also, those disgusting jumppads are now there too.
  4. OldMaster80

Because The Crown is the only PS1 style base on Indar. That base was designed to be stage for huge, epic, long-lasting fights, which is a very good concept. The problem about that is simple: a base that needs hours to be taken, in the middle of a continent where all the other structures can be captured in 2-10 minutes simply makes no sense. The Crown causes massive stalemates in Indar every day.

Personally I wish we had more bases like this on every continent (so that every capture is really epic) or none at all. But a mixed situation like this is not acceptable.

My only complain about the new design is those freaking jump pads: the less we have in the game, the better it is, unless they just work for defenders.
    • Up x 1
  5. Icedaemon

The Crown was not the only seriously hard-to-take base on Indar. Scarred Mesa Skydock, Howling Pass Checkpoint and (to a lesser extent) Quartz Ridge camp can also see some pretty severe hour-long back-and-forth fights, but for those to occur two large opposing outfits/highly organized groups of platoons must be passing through at the same time. If those bases had constant guards like the Crown does, they would be (nearly) as difficult to take. As it stands, by the time defenders spawn there an enemy has usually gained a serious foothold and has enough of a numerical superiority that the spawn room cannot be exited and such defensive battles only occur when an organized force falls back to one of those when pushed out of a facility further along the line by a massive zerg.
  6. Skadi

I find it rather hilarious that 2 of the cap points for the base arnt actualy in the base.
    • Up x 3
  7. FrankManic

Alt
    Alternately - The Crown, previously an interesting, valuable, and highly defensible base that gave a commanding advantage to whoever held it, is now just a speedbump indistinguishable from any other base and not particularly unique or useful to have.

Though no base is really unique or useful with Lattice, as "useful" would imply you could do something with the bases and had a choice in taking one or another.

Regardless, Crown on live was something special before the meta moved away from it. Crown on PTS is just another base, and a completely indefensible one at that.
    • Up x 2
  8. Cirevam

I have to agree here. I know a few bases do this for one capture point (The Ascent, I think, and there's one on Esamir) but two points being way outside the three hexes that make up The Crown... it really is laughable. They could have just moved point B away from the spawn room and down to the bridge, but instead they overdid it. Oh well, I never liked fighting there anyways.
  9. Kon

i dont think that design is final i wouldn't be surprised if it got more tweaks
  10. Zan_Aus

They've overdone it, points B & C are just freebies for incompetent attackers now. There's a middle point between too hard and too easy to take.

PS: Stop using jump pads, they are a idiotic meatgrinder funnel and a crutch for ****** gameplay.
    • Up x 3
  11. siiix

i actually dont remember how amerish is, but i can tell you the crown on indar was PERFECT , there was no reason to change that , the test server indar crown is garbage.. they could might as well completely remove it as it is on the test server.. its undefensible and no fun what so ever, it will fail in minutes when its atacked... so why even have the crown it has no functionality anymore on the test server
    • Up x 1
  12. Posse

Except when some ******* took B, running to B is the most annoying thing ever.

The Skydock is my favourite place, the other day we had an awesome fight between the top outfits of both VS and NC, I never had so much fun in this game, too bad it's in the worst possible area of the map for it to see constant action (specially when we had the northern WG). On the other hand, I already memorized Quartz Ridge.
  13. Naehloseht

So fun-fact time here, probably old since this is page 3 buuuuuuuut.... I am going to let everyone in on a little secret.

Ready?

Are you sure you are ready?

I don't think you are ready enough...

The Crown was a relevant base up until about 3 months ago.....
    All of Planetside 2 Live has moved on, or the pop imbalance is so big, the crowns defensiveness on live isn't worth mentioning
    This is what is called a "meta" game.... It evolves over time.... gee.... imagine that.

Now if ONLY people would give Hexes some more time, we might see player driven meta emerge.
  14. TeknoBug

The Crown PS1 style? What? Maybe compared to the tower clusters on the islands of Oshur, but... what?
  15. ScrapyardBob

I'm not a fan of the changes. Putting 1 of the 3 capture points down on that middle bridge? Sure. That's fine. But there needs to be foot paths (not corny jump pads) and cover / buildings / stairs leading down to it.

The other two capture points need to be up on the mesa. Put one on the east end (out where B point is currently) and put one on the west end (where it currently is). Heck, add another building on the east end of the mesa and stuff it inside there.
  16. OldMaster80

I meant that The Crown was meant to be stage for long lasting battles, like in PS1.
    • Up x 1
  17. Alarox

I miss the old Crown already. It used to be special, now it's just another base.

This was a base that birthed such sayings as: "He who holds The Crown, loses the world."

It's the base that inspired such assaults as:

While I only had a few fights at The Crown, I'll miss it like an old friend.
    • Up x 1
  18. St0mpy

The most famous, most popular and central arena for all Planetside fighters is now nerfed down to a tower and two bus stops. How is that progress?

Can SOE be any clearer saying we dont want your type in PS2? Either move around the map like you are told or clear off back to BF3/CoD where you came from.

Whenever I see someone going on about how the crown is bad, I imagine its the same kind of person who disparages ghost capping claiming the lattice as a saviour, spouting inaccurate opinions theyve heard rather than formed themselves from actual experience. Now we dont have a Crown any more I hope you whinging tramps are happy.
  19. TeknoBug

OK gotcha.
  20. Blitzkrieg

I'm glad they removed all the windows from the crown, now it will spread all the people from the short yellow bus out, to find other windows to lick.