New Construction System

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by CuteBeaver, Apr 27, 2016.

1. CuteBeaver

So its finally happening. Today is the day you have been waiting for <3.

Even though infils may not be able to hack absolutely everything in the player created bases, we can still do a number from the inside. Consider carrying explosive crossbows and the ammo belt. If you can destroy the repair, or turret automation modules it will cripple the base and cost them resources to replace. The silo holds their energy stash so if you can drain enough resources by constantly killing their modules (which are weak enough to die quickly from crossbow bolts) they will need to keep replacing them. You might even get lucky if their silo reaches zero energy the (HIVE) VP generator will disappear completely. A sneaky little stalker can cause considerable damage to a player made base but for now our options are limited.

~Cheers and have fun with the adorable engiees running around :D Let the trolling begin!
    • Up x 3
  2. voidreaperxx5

And don't forget to be extra tactical and sneak in an engie with tank mines on the back of your wraith. With his booms and your sneaks, you'll be a force to be reckoned with.
    • Up x 1
  3. Chubby Monkey

Spent some time yesterday as well playing sneak and peek with my Infiltrator. Along with Cute's information, solid as per usual, a couple more suggestions. When harvesting, go ahead and use your Infiltrator to run the ANT. Lots of people hunting ANTS! For every player working to build a base there are as many hunting them. Being able to bail on my trashed ANT and slip away saved me quite a few times. After "slipping away" you have three choices... Have at it on foot and work an enemy constructed base if one is nearby. Got inside a large TR base and had a ball. Nobody was paying attention to the inside. They were all focused outward. Enjoy making use of all the "firing ports" that let us slip shots through to those suckers standing around thinking they are safe behind their walls. Second choice is a standard one. Slide on over to the nearest vehicle terminal and grab another ANT. Or lastly, redeploy from the safety of your cloak to start fresh in a safer location.

Most players are shocked to hear I run a "cloaker" for vehicles. Maybe I am crazy but it works well for me. The ability to bail and get away is awesome. And since we can "borrow" other factions' terminals and turrets the window of opportunity is limited only by what you would like to do. For the new construction system and general vehicle use this is my loadout:

Flak Armor 5
    Crossbow with explosive bolts.
    EMP
    Medical Kit
    EOD 3 Implant

The flak armor will help when bailing and for those enemy vehicles who try and "recon by fire". The crossbow and explosive bolts are much better since they got a slight upgrade. I have even finished off a couple tanks when the fight was close. EOD 3, self explanatory. The EMP and med kit are those situational tools that give just a little boost should you need them. Nothing more satisfying than tossing an EMP and flipping that enemy beeper gun.

A whole new world of super sneaky just opened up for us. Enjoy the "harvesting"! Either cortium or kills, it's all good.
    • Up x 1
  4. Zinus

First thing, i must say that i had a blast infiltrating enemy made bases. Its super dope, you don't know what to expect around the corner and ppl usually make fun to infiltrate designs xD

On the other hand, once you get in there isn't really much you can do :/ so after a while it seemed pointless to try and go in, despite it being fun :(
  5. ArcKnight

how to keep infiltrators out of your base 101:

put anti-personnel mines in places where infiltrators are likely to travel through, if it blows up then you know someone is inside your base and is wounded
  6. Sevinos

How much of a buff did Explosive Bolts get with this update? Could we have an actual Anti-Max load-out now?
    And, for those who haven't checked, there is a Reddit page about "cheesing" (using annoying or generally unfair tactics) with the new Construction system. Some of the complaints are aimed at us (basically telling other infs how to cheese, really.), but most just say they wish we could hack stuff.
  7. Hiri

I used to play mainly sniper infiltrator with the Parallax, but after 18 months away from the game I picked up stalker cloaking and the crossbow and have been largely focusing on that since. My normal stalker loadout for creeping around fixed bases is

Crossbow
    Lumine Edge <--- love this for the one shot kill
    Frag
    Proximity Mine x 2
    Ammo Belt 4
    Safe Landing 1 Implant

However for hunting around the new bases I'm now going with

Crossbow with explosive bolts
    Lumine Edge
    EMP
    Proximity Mine x 2
    Nanoweave 5
    Regeneration 1 Implant

I'm uncertain over the suite slot at the moment but even with Ammo 4 and 40 bolts you can't take out more than one module on a base anyway, and unlike towers the majority of kills are with the knife, players seem to stand still a hell of a lot more in bases than they do normally. My main gripe a the moment is the instakill turrets which seem very OP and make hunting in a well established base effectively impossible AND the lack of hackable turrets (or anything)

But the most effective anti-base solo fun I've had so far as an infiltrator is picking off small bases manned by two or three players well behind enemy lines --- using a knife/tank combo :). Runs something like...

Pull an ESF with Ejection System and drop beside a small'ish base being built well behind enemy lines - you need one which is near a fixed base, ideally a tower and hopefully without an active spawn point. Also if there's a deployed Sunderer you're out of luck, but it's surprising how often there's not one around.

Then creep in and knife Bob the builder and his mate, usually when they drive their ANTs back in.

Run over to the tower and hack a terminal to grab a tank - ideally equipped with AV rounds and as much extra ammunition as you can push certs into, drive back and start killing - ANTs and AV turrets seem like good first choices - and if you can get in repair and targeting modules are priority. Sooner or later someone will arrive back and your tank will start taking damage, so just before it dies bale and cloak.....

At this point we're back to the knife. Your foe will now be busy repairing and hopefully won't twigged you're still around, so go and send them back to a far away spawn point.

Then rinse and repeat. Managed to get this going three times so far, killed twice after my second tank, but once Bob got so demoralised he gave up :)
  8. FeralBoy

I totally get it. I run whatever class works per my current vehicular gameplan.
    On occasion I also run an ANT in my Stalker suit. Mainly on the preliminary ANT run when I'm scouting for a new Bob-the-Builder location (yes, I'm such an OCD nerd I actually get out and do a walk-around lol).
    On a side note I would add that I bet most ANT bailing cloakers are shocked when they learn the hard way that I run a Thermal Optics Basilisk on my ANT. :p

I also occasionally run as a LA, which can be handy when you're forced to bail out, while still having a chance to fairy finish the opposing ANT or Lightning.

But mostly I run my AV Engy loadout since I'm currently enjoying Bob-the-Builder stuffs.

I 'kind of' feel for you. I will not be surprised at all if and when turret AI gets nicked.This afternoon I ran to my base's AV turret to finish off a naughty ANT that I heard run over some of my AV mines. I figured it must've been a cloaker because I only got the ANT kill. Seconds after I jumped out of my turret I heard the AI turret 'burp' twice and then I got a cloaker kill tag on my screen. I Stalk a lot but even I had to laugh at that one. :D

Honestly since I just recently finished grinding my Sidearm Directive in my Stalker suit I haven't been cloaking as much. I've been Bob-the-Buildering more. But I can imagine one could wreak much havoc and merry mayhem on a base if you parked a 'cloak' Sundy somewhere close by. ;)
  9. Hiri

Yes that occurred to me, I've not pushed certs into stealth on the Sundy before, but it's my top priority now. The thing I'm really enjoying about the new bases is now there's a reason to do deep penetration solo stalking again, and a cloaked sundy will be perfect to extend those.

Yes, nothing like running as an infiltrator to teach you anti-infiltrator tactics. I run thermals on all my vehicles (after inf I like tanking best so my mag is pretty well certed)
    • Up x 1
  10. FeralBoy

Agreed. I so miss the strategic and tactical play of PS1, all the deep-ops cloaking possibilities, and things like Interlink Gen Bust & Holds to open a 'locked' Cont... :(

:D:D:D
    ;)
  11. Zinus

I just wish we could hack anything inside those bases :(

The most obvious are turrets, but heck, why not be able to hack-overload small modules?
    It would give space to sidearms other than xbow, will allow defending players to prevent their destruction and will give the inf a mission to try and prevent enemies from doing so.
    Or maybe overload the silo, so it starts leaking resources until it runs dry?

We don't need to be a hard counter, this soft approach via sabotage and resource/manpower/attention drain screams infiltrator to me.
  12. Iridar51

Have you had a chance to do some more explosive bolting against modules? Inquiries have been made about viability of that particular strat.
  13. Invictorum

I have, Iridar. With my explosive crossbow, it took me approx 4 reloads? to bring down a AI turret module. NC vs TR or vise versa could prove interesting if you can convince the enemy engineers to drop ammo for you.
    • Up x 1
  14. Hiri

It takes 17 to kill a module - I generally run Ammo Belt 4 on my stalkers, so that's theoretically two - but then again you have to have an abandoned base to stand a chance of getting those 17 off without being caught, which is frankly rather boring.

Hacking is definitely what we need.
    • Up x 1
  15. Iridar51

I see, so not really a viable strat then, since stalkers have to evade both enemy players and find a blind spot in AI auto turret field of view.

I guess using 2 or 3 stalkers would make it more viable.
  16. _itg

Does anyone know offhand how many shots it takes to kill a module with something basic like a suppressed Magshot? That would be preferable for stealth reasons, if the TTK is anywhere near the same.
  17. EPIC389

Nah, why do it the sneaky way when you can do it in style? Wraith flash kamikaze squad. Rip all bases
  18. CuteBeaver

Modules were changed on test from 6 shots with an explosive crossbow to something like 16 or 17 for live . No plans to revert this change, and hacking various objects in the base may not be possible even in future updates. (Yes even though the objects have terminals attached to them visually. Don't hold your breath at least as far as the constructed turrets are concerned.)

"BBurness12 points3 days ago

Because a small number of infiltrators would be able to decimate an entire base very quickly. We do have plans for infiltrators, but it's highly unlikely they will be hacking construction turrets in the same way they do facility turrets.
    You wan't to do something sneaky right now? Take a AI turret with you and place in inside an enemy base. Got a friend or two? take a turret and repair module with you as well, sap directly off the enemy silo.

For the record they were wise to do this. As fun as it was during the test server shenanigans its was clearly too powerful. I dont think hacking is entirely off the table but its not going to be added to anything anytime soon. We are going to have to be patient and wait for devs to figure out how to manage hacking - not only soon with vehicles - but also with regards to bases. At this point a hacking revamp is eventual and unavoidable.
  19. Moz

Like you say Beaver, hacking on the new constructed turrets would be kinda silly. But maybe hacking the repair modules to take them off line could be viable?

There is so much potential in the hacking though, three i really want to see are:

Vehicles (obviously)

Jump pads (not grav lifts) - Both ends of the pad would need to be hacked.

Engi Turrets - Hackable just like any other turret. They leave their turret in the field we turn it against them.
    • Up x 1