[Suggestion] New Classes For New Players

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SQPD, Oct 25, 2015.

1. SQPD

Since people were complaining about Koltyr, I tried to come up with a solution. The solution comes in the form of a new class. The class is called Recruit for TR, Revolutionary for NC, and Intern for VS. The classes do the same thing but with different names to better suit their respective factions. These classes will be available on all continents but players on Koltyr are ONLY allowed to use these classes.

Recruit/Revolutionary/Intern
    Role: A basic infantryman, nothing special, but provides +15% XP boost.
    Primary weapons available: The default carbine and shotgun, and all 650 cert carbines and shotguns. No other primaries may be purchased or used.
    Secondary weapons available: The default pistol and 325 cert pistol. No other secondary may be purchased or used.
    Tools available: Regen and Medical kit may be used.
    Knife available: The default knife. No other knives may be used.
    Grenades available: Frag, flash, smoke, and EMP may be used.

Feedback is appreciated.
  2. Demigan

and... How exactly will this help? They will learn a new class that is basically a Medic with access to smoke, flash and EMP grenades and no access to AR's and gets Carbines instead. Oh and a 15% XP boost but compared to the downsides I think people should just take a Medic or Heavy and get a 15% XP boost on that. That way they learn the classes in advance and get access to the whole range of weapons available to those classes.

I mean, most people run Heavy either way, so why give them a class that can't even equip LMG's that they are going to buy later on anyway?
  3. LordAnnihilator

I agree, all this will do is give people the opportunity to test everything in advance, which you already can do via VR and weapon trials. Your class is a unique unit in its own right, which doesn't help one bit when it comes to learning the individual classes and the ins and outs of combat. Simplest thing I can think of is an improvement to the basic training directive tree: more varied goals, education on base turrets, capping biolabs, using sunderers, the ins and outs of each class, the importance of gunners, etc.
    • Up x 2
  4. Eternaloptimist

I think this is a good idea as to limiting people to stock weapons or small upgrades. One of the unfortunate things I found in Koltyr is that low BR alts can use any account bound weapons their main has (or buy them with DBC I guess). I've seen all manner of, like BR 5 and BR 6 running around with expensive weapons and doing lots of damage. The limitation should apply to equipping for aircraft and vehicles as well.

I think OP may be a bit off the mark as to class abilities and equipment. After all, players can switch class at will to try out different combos. In fact, the new directives for basic training are pretty interesting but maybe they could be expanded to cover directives achieved as different classes to encourage experimentation.

You can't do much about players using their tactical experience and better situational awareness to farm genuinely new starters but it is a step in the right direction.
  5. DefendYourBase

They never should of made "classes"

It should of been one character male or female. That you unlock and equip things to build a class..

Soldiers should of been able to research armor to make "heavy class" with weight being a factor to running or what not.
  6. Taemien

Another cop out and excuse to avoid helping new players. But that is to be expected from Forumside:

"I don't have personal responsibility, Devs fix it for me!"