[Suggestion] New Class

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ares8, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Ares8

I have had this idea for awhile, but since the announcement of PSA, I noticed they added a new class called assault.

This is a class I think should be added to the main game, minus the jetpacks.
    I want a class that has access to LMGs, Assault Rifles, Battle Rifles,Shotguns and Rocket Launchers.
    A heavy class without the overshield; more loadout options (Archer,AV grenades,Smoke grenades) and different slot options/implants.
    The same speed, movement and health as the other classes.
    DBG can add new armour,looks and helmets for the class, maybe a new class ability?
    I think the game needs a jack of all trades-grunt soldier type of class.

Any other ideas for this class or a new class you think planetside should have?
  2. DarkStarAnubis

I would go for the opposite and get rid of all classes and move the Max to vehicles.

Without classes you have a basic amount of storage and slots to fill with any combination you like.
    • Up x 3
  3. LordKrelas

So... you want a class that out-jacks the heavy-assault, and puts the valuable archer onto a class, that can also carry AR's
    Sounds way too universal.

Then everything has to sized, you spend tons of times in menu's
    And the combination hell, is near impossible to balance; Invisible C-4 for example.
    Then we have "Can they use a sniper rifle", and then infiltrator is restricted to a pistol again, or wields a shotgun.
    And we have the lovely problem of fitting the variants of abilities.

Next to the Repair-Tool user self-sustaining their max, ejecting before death, with a shotgun & explosives.
    Being the infantry version of Ejecting to rocklet the enemy who won the first fight.
    • Up x 2
  4. Ares8

5. LordKrelas

Out-jacks it: As in the Jack-of-all-Trades.
    You have the Assault-Rifle, which outshines the LMG, you have the rocket-launcher access on top.
    You can also use the Archer, on said class on top; Stacking Multiple AV Sources, or combinations real easy.

The Medic has the AR, as the medic was poorly used in general usage counts.
    It's quite literally, one of the assets to non-tool-primary Medics, as a reason to play medic.

Another class, with AV, does nothing to help with vehicle balance against infantry.
    It just means another class is throwing around the same AV weapons as before, except it also has every other possible weapon option.
    So spotting the class means nothing; As the load-out is literally anything.

If you spot this class, It can literally be packing anything.
    If you want to achieve any task, past so niche ways or tasks, This class can do it;
    AV? Archer, Rocket Launcher
    AI? Assault-Rifles, LMGs, most Gunplay you can dream off, past sniper rifles.
    Grenades? Every option nearly.

It literally is more universal-use, than the heavy-assault is.
    Which is an AI Expert, packing survival-advantage, and packs Dedicated Anti-Vehicle options.
    Your class, packs Every possible weapon system or option into a single class.

Hell, you don't even mention the class ability.
    And it already fits every task hard-core.
    Nearly every AI Primary type, AV Tool Options, every grenade, even takes the damn Archer from Engineers.

You spot a Heavy-Assault, you can bet it can handle any target type, with LMG, Shotgun, SMG, and Launcher Access for AV or AA.
    You spot this new class, It can handle any target type, and has nearly every weapon-class, and the universal capability of the HA.
    So it's either replacing the HA or obsolete by it:
    Mean while, for combat, it bests the Engineer & Medic for direct primaries. Having their best weapon choices, and the AV options of the Heavy-Assault.

• Up x 1
  6. Pelojian

have you considered that them adding assault to PS:A is in fact a heavy assault?

look on reddit there's a gallery showing the armor models for the three classes the design of the assault class armor screams heavy assault, in other words calling the class assault is a mere name simplification.

a jack of all trades class undercuts a system designed to make you choose in addition you are forgetting ASP in which you can make a specific class unlock the ability to use weapons (inc grenades) outside it's specialty.

a good example is being able to use EMP grenades as an engineer or sticky grenades as an infiltrator or an engineer that can carry a shotgun as a secondary and wield a carbine, battle rifle, assault rifle, SMG or LMG as a primary.
    • Up x 1
  7. Demigan

I dont see the point. Its use would be extremely niche.

Imagine for example picking a sniper and a rocketlauncher. You lack the invisibility of the infiltrator and the shield of the HA, so you'll be worse off either way and only in highly specific scenario's will you actually be able to make it work. But most of the time you would be better off with say a HA with a long-rangr LMG or a battle rifle.

Fine by me if you can balance it. But thats the rub: you cant. There are too many combinations that would simply be superior to all other combinations, and now you've made 90% of the games options obsolete and people are running with even less variation than with the class system we have now.

Better solution: Make classes even more divergent in their playstyle, but more similar in their possibilities. For example the Infiltrator needs to have a solid AV role to play (outside of niche picking repair engineers off). This doesnt have to be "damage every tank in sight" but it could be placing trackers on tanks that significantly increases damage they take and makes them continously visible or placing distortion fields that make it hard for tanks to see and hit infantry unless the they get closer (reverse of current Sunderer shield bubble). This way each class can get a unique role to play without stepping too close on other classes and it means we have more diversity instead of less.
  8. Liewec123

the class that this game has always missed is a "pilot" class, weak and limited to only pistols,
    but enhances vehicles while in them (perhaps with rank 1 nano regen and a small buff to something like health or reload speed etc.

currently the engi fills the "pilot" role, but this makes engi just too good all-round,
    they're amazing point holders with their turrets,
    they can unlock a shotgun secondary and sticky nades to help push to points,
    faster shield recharge lets them reengage sooner than anyone else,
    and they can repair vehicles making them the absolute best current driver class.

i'd like to see people pulling Pilot to drive vehicles and engies running over to repair those vehicles.
  9. Demigan

Unless the advantage is huge, being able to repair out in the field without having to call over an engi who probably leaves the second you turn around is far too good. So unless you give the pilot an absolutely awesome ability and/or a repair gun that is near the same power or take away an engineer's ability to repair vehicles he's manned recently, this wont work. And dont forget: remove the ability to self-repair and Zergs eill be far better off with the change than a vehicle that tries to whittle the enemy numbers down.

Also engi's see very little use in infantry combat. And even if they are used more because vehicles I still dont see the problem: vehicle gameplay is completely different from infantry gameplay. LA's being used more because they became bail assaults does not mean they suddenly dominate the game or get more attention than they deserve. At best you can complain that engineers for vehicle gameplay makes the vehicle game more stale as theres less variation, but if pilots are supposed to take over vehicles it becomes even worse. You would be better off giving class-specific bonuses when in a vehicle, and the Engineer gets no class-specific bonus because he's got a repair gun. Then you have more variation on the battlefield.
  10. Ares8

Ok well just for the sake of argument we will take away LMG's. I still don't see the problem with having a class that can adapt to different threats and can assault vehicles. This class would just spread things out better, less infil and HA, I dont see an issue with that. The class has the same attributes as ever other class and can die just as easily so it's not some invincible class you make it out to be. As of now we only have one class that can effectively deal with vehicles which is silly to me in a combined arms game. Everyone has implants for mines, engies are practically worthless against vehicles, archer and mana turrent sucks anyway so all thoose points you brought up are moot.
    I left the class ability up for discussion, maybe we don't give this class an ability because it's not really a special class but a grunt/soldier default.
    Medic being the only class with access to AR further proves my point and yet nobody plays medic much so some of the best guns in the game don't get much use.

Most games have a class like this as well as having a support/heavy class, so this is not some foreign concept I'm bringing to the table.
  11. LordKrelas

Now we have a 2nd "I can handle any situation" class.
    It takes people from said classes... into a class akin to the nearly-better-HA that just lacks an Overshield.
    So people from Heavy-Assault, are into a clone with a better gun but less class ability.
    Typical Infantry mobs have even more Jack-of-all-trades people in it, this time with the lethal capacity of medic primaries.

I never said invincible: I said over-jacked, too-universal, or similar.
    We have 1 Class, that is a dedicated meatshield, packing AI & AV Weaponry: Heavy Assault
    One Class packing Mobility, with an light AV Weapon & light AI weaponry; Light Assault
    One Class, packing support capabilities, sacrificing an primary (typically) for light AV work & dedicated anti-max: Engineer.

Your Class, adds a 2nd "Anti-Infantry" & "Anti-vehicle" User..
    Even without a Class-ability, it's literally an Heavy-Assault class, that has better weapon options.
    The Assault-Rifle is a brutal killer, and You want put it, on a class that also holds the Anti-Vehicle options as a tool slot.

We HAVE a Heavy-Assault Class, one that is Already TOO Universal.
    Like seriously, we have a class that is the dedicated AI, and AV wielder, on top of the Infantry "Tank" (past maxes)
    And you want to add a 2nd one, that does the same thing, outside of Meat-shield role.

So the end result of the class is:
    • Assault-Rifle Primary (Medics who are medic for the gun, are now packing Rocket Launchers on top)
    • A 2nd Class packing Rocket-Launchers, so we have 2 "I am perfect for every situation" Classes.
    • Another Class packing the Engineer's Anti-Max weapon, so maxes are having a bad time: As now Any sod they spot, could be packing an AR or an Archer
    • Diluted the specializations or functions of the existing classes (As now, we have two near identical classes, on the same job of "Do it all")
    • Made spotting this class, mean even less for guessing what is coming (If you spot an engineer, you can at least guess if they have an Archer or not, by distance. Spot this class, and they could be tailored for any task possible)
    • Split HA into a cloned-Class, that has Launchers, so Heavy-Spam is mixed with this class spam (As Assault-Rifles... with the bonus of rockets)
    So we get basically, Heavy-Spam 2.0, with Assault-Rifles, archer-fire, and the wave of enemies of this class...
    Could be literally armed with any of the Class-specific Tools.
    The only types they're missing is the LA's rocklets, and sniper rifles.
    Or they could've literally replaced every class in every role, outside of Healing & repairing people.

invincible no.
    Making it the one-stop shop for all possible gear combinations & options, is what it is.
  12. Ares8

Nothing but a overreaction from you in both posts, in a game where we have guys flying around with rocket rifles and c4, you want to tell me another class with access to rockets is worse then that when said rockets have a higher TTK than the LA.
    1.The Light assault is more dangerous against vehicles than HVA so what does that tell you?
    2. Even after CAI, Vehicles continue to be a problem in the game and one good tank crew can take out a whole squad even if they have Heavies with them.
    3. This class won't be anymore powerful than the medic class which currently has access to AR, giving them a rocket launcher that takes 6 rockets to destroy anything now makes them OP? no it gives infantry more players in the field with the equipment to handle vehicles
    4. This class would be even more justified if CAI wasn't implemented, Vehicles should be very powerful and infantry should have a fair chance against them and their should always be more one class that can deal with vehicles.

A few things I can agree on are No archers/tank mines. Also no class ability and maybe slightly slower than other classes but still quicker then HVA. It's definitely not just another HVA class and it will bring another element to the game. I understand the logic in your posts but I still think you are overreating and that this could work if it was implemented correctly.
  13. LordKrelas

What exactly does this new class bring?
    It's a Heavy-Assault, lacking the shield... When the Heavy Assault is already in the game.
    It takes the Medic's AR, which is better than the LMG, so now it's a heavy-assault minus the shield, with a better gun.

That's the thing; We have the Heavy Assault with the same Rocket Launcher, but More health.
    Having another class, use the same weapon, Doesn't help infantry against vehicles.
    It just means, there is a clone of the heavy assault, running around, that also has the Medic's AR on it, or the Engineer's Archer.

Your class does not make it easier for Infantry to attack vehicles.
    We have the Heavy Assault, which already has the same Launcher, but the Overshield on top.
    We already have Engineers with Archers in the game.

If your logic made sense, We'd already be effective against vehicles more so, As we have more Heavy Assaults than other classes in use already.

I am over-reacting?
    You want a Heavy-Assault clone, that lacks their shield, but has a better gun.

The Heavy-Assault is equal speed to every other class.
    If the speed advantage is high-enough to make it worth it, if the better Assault-Rifle isn't, You just made the Heavy-Assault obsolete for good players.
    So we end up with this Class spammed, instead of the Heavy-Assault..
    And the vehicle vs infantry gameplay, doesn't change at all, As they already had to deal with the exact same launcher Previously.
    Infantry gameplay ends with Assault-Rifle spam, mixed with Rocket-launchers.

Like in what way, Could a class, Sharing the entire tool slot, the entire weapon-slot + other classes' weapon option, minus their ability slot,
    Not result in an Clone of the Heavy assault?

It would be competing with a class, that has the same AV options, an overshield, and nearly the same primaries.
    The single difference past ability-use, is that it has a better anti-infantry gun.

So two classes, with Your stated role of "Multi-purpose"
    Mean while, of the other 4 classes, we have vastly different roles, abilities & tools.
    While this new class, and the heavy assault have:
    • The same job
    • The same tools
    • Competing primary weapons
    • Lack of, Or having an Ability for the intended roles
    What is your class for, that the heavy assault isn't for?
    What is your class for, that the other classes aren't?

(The people who would use this class, Would be Heavy Assaults.
    As they have the same exact job.
    If we lost Medics & engineers, or Infiltrators even, all we gained would be essentially more Heavy-Assault Spam)
  14. Ares8

I'm not going to get in a long winded arugment. Especially since you fail to acknowledge my points and repeat yourself.
    Why have only one class with AR? doesn't make sense in real world an assault rifle is standard issue
    this class is a default assault class it is meant to support infantry with it's versatility.
    HVA have a overshield which slows them down this is what im referring to.
    Again nothing you said demeans the purpose of a general assault class.
    The purpose of the class is to be a ground troop a soldier with access to AV.
    The class would not be spammed at all because you are still better off as HVA.
    AR are not better then LMG at longer ranges where LMG are used.
    This would spread out players.
    I think rocklet rifle needs to be removed and could even be given to this class instead that would be justified.
  15. LordKrelas

As the Assault-Rifle is brutally effective, it was given to medics, to further promote the medic class.

What do you think the point of the Heavy-Assault is?
    It already provides a universal solider, is the class that achieves the most without specialization.
    The Slowing down in use factor, is the slight balance to the health-gain.

We have a general-purpose class; Heavy-Assault.
    It has weapons & tools for all kinds of opponents, and can pick from options to handle any situation already.

Medics have assault rifles; Why do we want to promote more of our field units into ... heavy-assaults?
    They have the Assault-Rifle, and the ability to support allies.
    If the main draw of your class is the Assault-Rifle, we likely lost them from our medic lines...

If it's a worse heavy-assault, then you have just worsened the entire infantry selection in the area.
    As those using it are less effective than Heavy-Assaults, and have none of the tactical value of the other classes.

Have you ever used an Assault-Rifle? Unless it's a Gauss-Saw, the AR is gonna win.

Do we want more players spread out across Heavy Assaults, this Class, and the actually tactical Classes?
    As that means, we get less medics, less engineers, less infiltrators. That's a severe problem.
    As we already have an exceedingly high number of Heavy Assaults, and if your class is worse than the Heavy-Assault, then it'll be drawing from the support classes.

Do you know why we have the Rocklet rifle on Light-Assaults?
    Do you know the massive drop it has, and that to best use it, is proximity matched with altitude?

If it was on the new class or the heavy-assault, it would be a worse-off short-range Rocket Launcher.
    For light assaults, it provides some AV, outside of Nanite-explosives -- without them being ground-bound targets on top.

In short;
    Why do we need this other class?

For a universal solider?
    In what aspect does the heavy-Assault fail to provide this?
    It has AI, it can adapt to any range in this field.
    It has AV, AA, it can adapt across multiple weapon systems in this field, at the same time as AI.
    It has an Overshield for increased health, improving raw survival-odds & allowing them to soak up increased damage.

The only thing tankier, and better equipped for Any engagement at all times, is a 450-Nanite MAX unit.
    And they can't pack around their entire AV or AA Option, at the same time as their AI.

Anything your Class can do, the Heavy-Assault would do better.
    The moment it doesn't, You now have a niche class, that has no other support role, or similar, that isn't already covered.
    As it lacks Any tactical value, not better handled by Every other existing class.

16. PlanetBound

The Light Assault Infiltrator.