New bolts for the Crossbow?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by AccelPrime, Feb 21, 2014.

1. AccelPrime

High Velocity Bolt:

The HVB is designed to perform better at longer ranges by increasing the velocity of the bolt, as well as the overall damage at range. However, having a smaller ammo pool means that you've got to make the most of what you got, and those who are too loose with their aim will quickly find themselves dry on ammunition. The HVB also has lower maximum damage than any other bolt.

- 250m/s velocity
    - 1s chamber time
    - 4 bolts per magazine
    - 600 maximum damage at 60m
    - 500 minimum damage at 95m
    - 4+16 [20] bolts total ammo pool

Rapid Fire Bolt:

The RFB is designed to perform better at closer range by allowing the user to fire off bolts in rapid succession and bringing enemies down faster. Because of the lower damage at range, as well as the lower velocity this bolt will not perform as good at longer ranges.

- 110m/s velocity
    - 0.6s chamber time
    - 4 bolts per magazine
    - 650 maximum damage at 25m
    - 500 minimum damage at 35m
    - 4+24 [28] bolts total ammo pool

Mini Bolt:

The MB is designed for allowing a greater total damage output by adding an additional two bolts per magazine, at the expense of lowering some of the bolt's functionality. Damage drop-off will occur earlier, the chamber time is a tiny bit longer, and the velocity is not as good as the standard bolt's. This is the bolt for those who dislike reloading when they've got an enemy in their crosshairs.

- 140m/s velocity
    - 1.1s chamber time
    - 6 bolts per magazine
    - 650 maximum damage at 30m
    - 500 minimum damage at 50m
    - 6+20 [24] bolts total ammo pool

*Reloads for all new bolts remain the same as for the Standard Bolt.

I tried balancing these around the standard bolt you get when purchasing any Crossbow, and if anyone has input/feedback on how it could be improved further that'd be great.

I figure these would be rather easy for SOE to implement, as they do not require any new mechanics or animation, and would nearly in its enterity be created by altering the numbers for already existing bolts! And more bolts = more fun so why not.

Thoughts?
    • Up x 1
  2. cruczi

I'd rather HVA had some other downside than ammo count

The rapid fire bolt makes no sense because a weapon's rate of fire is a feature of its firing mechanism, not its ammunition.

The mini bolt is not a bad idea.

I'd like to see poison bolts that have an additional small amount of damage over time that negates the enemy's shields, but do less damage on impact.
  3. AccelPrime

Because of the odd 30 minute cap on editing posts I was unable to correct some things, so here ya go;

High Velocity Bolt:

- 4+20 [24] bolts total ammo pool

Rapid Fire Bolt:

- 4+28 [32] bolts total ammo pool

Mini Bolt:

- 6+24 [30] bolts total ammo pool

^^^^ Corrected numbers ^^^^
  4. AccelPrime

You have to remember that you WILL miss more shots at range, regardless of what weapon you're using, and since the High Velocity Bolt is meant for longer range, that lower ammo count will hurt even more. You will not go on any spectacular killstreaks without having to resupply, unless you've got maxed out ammo belt and lady luck on your side ;).

As for the Rapid Fire Bolt not making sense, nanites. Just nanites. No but really, if you want it to make sense you could think of it as a specially designed bolt that rechambers faster, with its downsides being mentioned in the original post.
  5. Calisai

EMP/Flash/Conc bolt: same effect as the equivalent grenade, only smaller effective splash radius (due to being able to more precisely placed)... I wouldn't mind these being restricted to the class they are used by. IE, grenade bolt... when equiped on LA, it's flash, when equiped on Heavy it would be concuss, etc. Balanced by much smaller radius (IE, concussion grenade hits room, bolt hits 1-2 players) Useful for blinding a max and then RL'ng him... rather than full room effect.
  6. GunsmithJoe

This game needs dots! (ie, DOTs)

Also, 'Discharge Bolt': Remove any infantry shield, over-shield or cloak effect on direct hit. Does zero damage to health.

Having class-specific bolts would be interesting.