Neutral territory and the Siege and Attrition mechanic

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eclipse4349, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Eclipse4349

LOVE IT. It sounds like it will add a lot to the game, as the video discusses:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/17/p...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0
    It will definitely give smaller outfits and squads a meaningful way to impact the game as it plays out, and makes the resource flow more meaningful. I love the idea all around.
    It will probably also make defending more of a prime objective, which should result in more exciting engagements. As it is now, there is no point in defending. It is more beneficial to just let the enemy have it and go cap undefended territory to get the cap bonus. This makes the game more of a territory hop instead of a series of large engagements with a higher meaning. If done well, the neutral territory could fix this as well, I think.
    Which brings me to a side point. I think we should either:
    1) remove or reduce the cap bonus
    2) make the defend bonus much more visible so people realize they are getting one
    3) something else to make defending as beneficial to your XP as capping territory
    Thoughts?
  2. yama

3. FateJH

I'm told they used to do this in Beta, but then took it out for some reason. Perhaps they felt the message would become too redundant after a while? If they don't want to clutter the screen with more messages, just put them together: "<kill> XP + <bonus> Defense XP."

One useful thing might be to make the defense XP bonus increase based on how long you've been defending a facility. It doesn't have to be a tremendous increase, and I don't recommend making it high at all, but it would be related to how long a defending player has spent time in a specific hex region (even counting respawns). Stepping out of that hex resets the timer.