Need some help figuring out FPS drops.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pat22, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Pat22

So for a period of approximately the last two months, I've been having very inconsistent FPS.
    Sitting in an empty warpgate, I have usually always gotten 120 FPS, dropping to around 60 in large battles.
    However, nowadays I get 40-50 in empty warpgates, dropping to 20-30 in large battles.

Now, when I say inconsistent, I mean that I still sometimes get that 120 / 60 FPS, and later or earlier that day I get the 40 / 20.
    I have no demanding programs running in the background, usually only Discord and maybe a chrome window open.
    Hardware monitor indicates that my GPU core load is at 90 to 100% when at 40/ 20 FPS, and drops to 1% when I tab out of the game.

Basically I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation on their PC and if they know what is causing it and how to resolve it.
  2. Humoreske

Information is too little, but is not main RAM insufficient? In general Chrome uses huge amounts of memory.
  3. Pat22

I have plenty of RAM to spare, the problem seems to be with the GPU. I'm afraid that's all the information I have available or else I'd probably be able to figure this out myself.
  4. MuggieWara

I suppose you ve done this already but if not,you should manually verify that you have the latest GPU drivers from manufacturers site.Sometimes auto-update isnt informing you when it should.
  5. Towie

Are there any scenarios where you know it's going to slow down (like time played, ambient temperature, that sort of thing) ?

Possibly throttling - either CPU or GPU - so check the temperatures. Note that if the CPU is throttling, it will still show 90-100% utilisation but the base clock speed is reduced so it doesn't get as much done (effectively it's a slower CPU then throttled). Some GPUs do this too.

What CPU / GPU ?
  6. Pelojian

what card are you using? you've got to remember that graphics settings in a game that are too low can be just as performance degrading as settings that are too high.

GPUs are designed and intended to operate within a range, lower or higher settings change how the card has to process stuff, lower settings can make the card work harder then say medium settings just based on what the card was intended to process.

I'd suggest doing some internet searches based on your CPU and GPU optimization for planetside 2 if you don't know of any utility that can help you, nvidia has geforce experience which is good for optimizing game performance, i used it b4 they forced you to create an account to even be able to make use of it (a free utility requiring logins? beyond stupid).
  7. Pat22

I have an Nvidia Geforce 970 and am running Geforce Experience.
    As I said, in the past this got me 120 FPS in warpgate and 60 FPS in large battles with no problem, and still does sporadically. Yet, sometimes I log on and am looking at 50 FPS in warpgate and 20-30 in large battles. These numbers do increase a bit if I heavily lower my graphics settings however I don't see this as a proper solution because I KNOW my computer is capable of running the game just fine at higher settings, as it has been doing for years now.

Right now I'm considering a clean install of the game.