Need some advice please

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Ruar, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Ruar

I'll admit, I'm struggling. I played HA/AV extensively in PS but I find I'm dieing entirely too frequently when compared to the number of kills I get in short range fights.

I thought I was wearing heavy armor, but I get into fights with LA frequently where I open fire, I'm hitting my target, but I die faster. I try to use my shield more which has helped a little, but not enough so that I feel like I have a chance in most fights.

Currently I'm using a TMG-50 with grip and 2x red dot. I've tried SMG and Shotgun but I don't seem to have much luck with them as I tend to prefer distance instead of close in fighting.

Is there a trick to the LMG's to make them better for short range killing?

What utility/suit options are best for evening the field against other infantry?

Are NC and VS weapons just that much faster at killing when compared to TR?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've watched videos and read the forum but I just can't seem to be effective once I get in and around buildings. Out in the open areas I do ok, but as soon as the distance shrinks I die time and time again.
  2. Dalistro

The ability shield is the advantage that HAs get. If its not activated we have the same HP as the most of the other classes.
    Perhaps you should try using a 1x reflex as it is easier to hit moving targets at closer range.

For short range killing, if they are running around me a lot, I will hipfire at their body/head and then ads when I can track them better.
    But it really does come down to aim and who fires first.

The utility and suit options will not help that much against an LA. but nanoweave armour can make you survive an extra bullet.

The other faction guns are pretty similar, I don't think that is the reason.
  3. Novmiech

Your post is a little confusing but I will try to help as best as I can -
    No you are not wearing any extra armor - if you don't make use of your shield you are just the same as everyone else.

You say your prefer to fight at range; but then say you are getting killed alot in close range, and want to make your LMG better at close range this is - this seems backwards? If you are playing at long range, why are you getting killed up close? Why do you want to make your weapon better at it? If they are approaching you - you need to reposition to further away, or change to an appropriate kit.

Your TMG-50 with grip and 2x is a great setup that will serve you well at longer ranges, and does so-so closer up too. Its probably my favorite all around set up with TR. That said your default CARV is much much better a close ranges - don't feel like you have to use your TMG all the time, if the situation changes, so should your kit.

The NC's Default weapon (Gauss Saw) and a rarely encountered LMG (Gauss Saw-S) will beat your TMG-50 at range, but honestly not by much; everything else is a wash or worse.

In close quarters no LMG can compete with what TR has to offer; so make sure you are changing to your right kit - you should be doing very well, with either the CARV, or MSWR if you prefer to hipfire (I don't).

Getting the resist shield I would argue is a must - you only need the first rank to be effective (50 certs). When room clearing there is a pretty safe bet there is going to be an enemy near by - so you can activate your shield just before you come into the room- this should double your survivability.

That said if you are like me and like ranged play better - try using a MAX instead when things move indoors, there the only thing that should beat you are NC maxes.

Or if close quarters combat is just simply not your thing - you can swap to a support class like medic or engineer; heal and rez, drop ammo mines and repair; you will be doing a credit to your team without having to be up on the very front lines.
  4. Ruar

Thank you both for the responses. I'm sorry for the confusion in my OP and I'll see what I can do to clear things up some.

I have found I live longer and I'm more effective when I fight at medium range in an outdoor setting. This lets me engage vehicles and troops at a distance I'm comfortable with and allows me to flank and maneuver to areas where I can fire from unexpected positions.

The problem I'm experiencing is when I move inside of buildings to help take a position. The inside of the bio-lab isn't that bad, but pretty much anywhere else I've tried to move indoors I find I die fast and often. Pushing out of a spawn point or taking a tower are particularly frustrating.

I keep trying out shotguns, the SMGs and the LMGs trying to find something that lets me kill in close, but I have yet to find a weapon I like.

I do appreciate the advice about the shield being the only way to enhance the armor, I didn't realize all other stats were equal. I will definitely start using the shield more often.

I'll also try out the resist shield as well and see if that helps.

I'll keep trying out the different LMG's I have and find one that lets me transition from outdoors to indoors better.

Thank you both for the advice, and if you think of anything else I'm more than happy to hear it.
  5. Bl4ckVoid

For close range, get a weapon that performs well at close range. Or use one that does everything (not sure what is that for TR).
    Better ROF at close range is generally better than higher damage. And try to hit them in the head.