Need new computer.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okjoek, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Okjoek

My old computer I had for about 5 years but it finally died. I'm not that experienced at building custom rigs so I was wondering are there any computers under 700 dollars that can run this game "right out of the box" with reasonable quality?
  2. Moridin6

newegg.com
    some good prebuilt but id still buy the parts and out it together yourself, its about as hard as legos
  3. customer548

Your computer died ? Is it a laptop or a desktop ? What happened ?
    If it's a desktop, did you try to see if you could repair it ?
    Defective power supply, old CPU paste , BIOS troubleshootings can make your computer shut down. Those are the most common troubleshootings. They can be easily solved for cheap prices (or for free when related with BIOS crashes-updates).
    You'll be able to find tutorials about it on the internet.
  4. FateJH

I can make you a new computer; just send me some money. ;)
    • Up x 1
  5. Taggeress

Just recently picked this up. I try to spend at least 3k-4k on a new PC every year. Can't even imagine using a $700 computer for 5 years, *shivers*.

[IMG]
  6. Liewec123

i bought a gaming pc off amazon, (which i've later replacd almost entirely bit by bit)
    make sure you spend a good few hours comparing parts and stats,
    you should certainly be able to play the came competitively on decent settings for 700

one question you need to ask though.
    do you game a lot? is pc your gaming platform of choice? if so why not splash out a little, an "ok" pc will need to be replaced in a year or 2, a "great" pc won't need to be replaced for 4-5 years!
    call it an investment :p
  7. Taemien

That's a good question. How much of a gamer are you? If you're casual, that 700 bucks might be better spent on a PS4.

If you're a bit more into gaming as a serious hobby then you may wish to learn how to build your own PC. Gaming is like car racing. The more you get into it, the more you need to spend and the more you need to learn.

You can pay people to build your computer, or buy prebuilts. But you're always are going to pay out more otherwise. Or you're going to be missing something. Prebuilts usually skimp on something. If you're lucky its the PSU and you can easily replace that. Otherwise its an older gen GPU or a lesser current gen one (anything with a 40, 50, or 60 at the end of the model number).

When you build your own, you pick the parts. You pick the quality. And any deals you get you pass the savings to yourself.

The con to doing it yourself is you have to know what you're doing. Knowing not to jam a Slot A into a Slot 1 (and if you know what those are, you've been doing this for a minute). I had the benefit of being classroom taught in college almost 2 decades ago. But even then you gotta stay up to date on the new technologies. Things aren't ISA or AGP anymore. And one nuance I particularly don't like is AIT/AMD vs Intel/Nvidia.. where some games run better on one than the other. So now you almost have to build your PC around your favorite stuff (little hint. Intel/Nvidia takes the majority currently).
  8. Respawn

Well, if you're more concerned with smoothness of gameplay, you should focus on getting a good processor, and sacrifice on graphics power. It may not look as good, but you should aim to have at least 30 fps in even the biggest fights.

If you want better visuals and sacrifice processing power, go with a better video card. keep in mind that the fps you get in PS2 is heavily dependent on the battle going on around you (processing vehicles, bullet trajectories, etc).
    Unfortunately, with only $700 you will not be able to get the best of both worlds...
    Ram is cheap, aim for at least 8 GB.
  9. SwornJupiter

Definitely build your own. The great thing about building from scratch is that it is a continuing experience. Your 'building phase' only ever stops when you want it to stop. So with that said, consider a solid desktop rig, rather than a laptop as people have suggested.

You don't need that much money to get up on your feet with a do-able desktop. Every year, as your requirements go up and as you feel the need to upgrade, you can literally just replace, plug, and play. Laptops might be tempting, but they might not fare as well budget-wise in the long run.

Consider:
    1. Newegg.com
    or,
    2. Pcpartpicker.com

The second one allows you to review other people's build. Some people have some fantastic rigs for <$700 that could run PS2 fairly decently.
  10. Okjoek

I would love a ps4 but I'm more utilitarian. I want to do more than just games. Gaming is probably my largest hobby, but I can't do work, communication, shopping, browsing ect with a ps4. On top of that I have a hard time playing shooters without a mouse and keyboard.

My brother found a really cheap one on discount probably because of cyber Monday which he says I can put an existing graphics card in and some extra RAM. It looks like it should be able to run any game if so, although probably not max graphics.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0141HCZZ0/

i like pcs over consoles because they're easier to fix or customize, but I like to build onto an existing machine rather than build from scratch. I believe in the power of mass production to make things cheaply for everyone rather than trying to become that notion of PC master race. If I can get a computer for only a few hundred dollars that I can customize to run a game like this at any graphics setting than that will be my choice.