Need honest assessment and advice on Specs and UserOptions

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Dusty El Lion, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Dusty El Lion

Alright folks i need some help, since SolTech was merged I haven't been able to play PS2. My framerate is just unplayable. Looking at the game now I really want to get back into it, but I can't if I'm pulling 15 frames in all fights that matter.

So i'd like some advice on my useroptions.ini. That's it. I don't want "Game laptops r bad and you should feel bad". I'm under no illusions that I should be able to play this game at 120 fps while streaming and watching netflix. But I do think I should able to get a playable framerate (20+) in most situations. The fact is my current situation makes a desktop nonviable.

Specs:
    i7 Q2630m 2.0 ghz-3.0ghz (Most likely the bottleneck. It's slowish clock speeds are made up by the fact that its a quad-core. The game isn't multi-threaded very well so they advantage is largely lost. So any options to help take the load off the CPU are probably good places to start.)

Geforce 555m 1.5 gb (A middle range mobile card. Not great but it get's the job done in almost all cases. Won't be using any physX though)

8 gigs of 1600mhz RAM. (More then enough in almost all cases, and its quick too.)

Display: 1366x768

Any and all comments would be appreciated.
  2. MacG32

I think the easiest way to do it would be to delete your UserOptions.ini and slowly take your time going through this guide: http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/planetside-2-tweak-guide#1

Also make sure your Nvidia control panel settings are at default. Click Restore, Apply, and restart your computer.

Some changes require PS2 to be restarted. Some will crash the game and it will not restart, without crashing, again.

It'll be some trial and error to get to an acceptable quality and frame rate.

My gaming laptop runs about 18-30, depending on the amount of action around.

Take your time and you'll end up with something running acceptable.

This will be happening in the 4th quarter: https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/342359277706547200
  3. THUGGERNAUT

turn shadows to low or off, first. then turn particles to low. you won't really miss them that much. then make sure ambient occlusions and motion blur are off.

don't bother turning anything else to low really because it won't get you many frames and makes the game look like ****. keep textures, models, terrain etc. on high. just make sure shadows, particles, AO and motion blur are off.
  4. applepienation

I run everything on minimum with:
    i7 2800QM (2.2 GHz, 3.1 max)
    540M GT
    8gb DDR3

I want as many FPS as possible. Screw the eyegasms, even in big fights with lowest I will get <30FPS
  5. Alexlightning7

as of this last patch, I can't keep above 20 any more so that might be the cause.
    I have a slightly higher clocked laptop i5.

Turn shadows to low for sure. I personally think they look like **** if their completely off so I leave them on low, but since the fps drop while turning glitch is back, getting more fps actually leads to less smooth gameplay(yes, im dead serious).

That glitch got worse for me. Turning my view at all fast will drop my fps down to <15, and stopping will shoot back to 30 or 20 or whatever im getting.

So it might not be your PC entirely, its probably this patch. You should have been like me, always above 20, at the settings you have if you played earlier.
    heck, my sis has a i7 cpu clocked 200 mhz lower and it ran it great before this patch. and it was also using the intel hd 3000 graphics.

so to shorten this post up, i don't really know what to tell ya.
  6. Dusty El Lion

Fair enough, just need to get a good spot to actually test. The warpgate isn't a great bench mark, I'm more worried about battles.
  7. Rhumald

My opinion?

You'll be making a significant investment if you want to upgrade your PC to a level where it will play PS2, stunningly $400 at the very least for a new CPU and perhaps better GPU. That $400 will be better spent on a system you'll get allot more use out of for gaming, and that PS2 is being ported to as recently announced. Get a PS4 when it comes out, and play PS2 on it. it's $399 and it outclasses my $5000 computer right out of the gate. You also won't have to worry about the idea of being CPU bound, because it's GPU bound, with 8 high end CPUs and 8gigs of GDDR5 ram.

Here's the link to the official Sony PS4 Spec PDF doc... yes that GPU says Terraflops of computational power.

it's something to look forward to at least I guess, they heven't really said anything about the release date other than "holiday 2013" but people are assuming they mean November... you know, if you can wait 5 months it's the best investment in the long run.
  8. MacG32

Between 9-10 P.M. on Mattherson is the most active time and the warpgate should be full of players coming and going. That should be enough to simulate a decent sized battle. ;)
  9. Alexlightning7

WTF are you saying? trolling?
    First of all, its a laptop, cant upgrade a laptop.

And second, almost everything you said about the PS4 was false.
    ANY 5000$ gaming PC is going to be better then it.
    it does not have 8 high end CPUs, it has 8 cores clocked at a very low clock rate. weaker then most mid range desktop cpus.
    Actually, his laptop is probably around the level of the PS4s CPU, maybe slightly weaker.
    If you were to try to play planetside 2 on the PS4 right now, just putting the cpu into a desktop, you would be getting less then 15 fps in the warpgate. garunteed.

the GDDR5 ram really doesn't mean anything.

its GPU is slightly weaker then a desktop 7870. Any mid range desktop GPU has more then a TeraFlop of "computational power".
    Trust me, unless your 5000$ PC has integrated graphics, a 5 year old cpu, and you spent all the rest of your money on 1 TB SSDs or something stupid, your 5000$ PC is stronger.

Im fairly certain your trolling.
  10. Kevin12

Some things that might work:

Set texture quality to ultra(0 in useroptions.ini)

Try setting render distance to -1.0000000 in useroptions.ini

Set terrain quality to high or ultra.
  11. Dusty El Lion

Err no. When I get the money and the space, I'll be building a PC rather then buying a console because I much prefer PC gaming. Neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One really interest me, and long term building a good base PC with expansion room is a much better investment. However right now, I don't have resources to do it, so I'm wanting to get by with what I have.

Though I am happy to see Planetside 2 jumping to the PS4 because then they'll have to do some pretty heavy reworking of the engine. I don't think console players are going to be as forgiving of frame rate hiccups as PC players are, especially since consoles are billed as "Buy it and it works out of the box."
  12. BlackDove

LOL! WHAT?

Is your PC at least 5 years old? If it's $5000 and it can't beat a PS4, then you wasted about $4000, because I can build a PC with a 660, and an i5-4570K with 16GB of RAM and actually include a decent monitor for about $1000.

A mid range Geforce 650Ti is 1.5 TFLOPS... Nvidia actually broke the TFLOPS on a single chip GPU in 2009 with the Geforce GTX 275. The 690 is 5.2 TFLOPS single precision and the Titan is 4.5.

The PS4 console is 1.8 TFLOPS(for the whole system I believe) which is the same as a GTX 660 by itself. Not even close to a high end PC. It also has an 8 core AMD CPU that's not revolutionary at all.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Editorial/Epic-Games-disappointed-PS4-and-Xbox-One

The only thing the consoles have is the manufacturers ability to lose money on each unit sold. They will be losing tons of money on each PS4 sold, so they can make the money back in game sales. That's how just about every console in history has worked.
  13. Rhumald

my mistake, sorry, misread/translated cores to CPUs :p

no I'm not trolling at all. and I would try to explain it but I'm not very technical, what I can guarantee you is that that is not a cheap setup, and that it doesn't work the way you think it does, but engadget does a great job of explaining what we actually know of the system to date, so I'll link you to that.

What I had said though, was that it was going to take significantly more than $400 to get something that matches the device, due to the way that it was designed, and that it outclasses My $5000 PC. I probably should have mentioned that my PC is a few years old now, so a few of it's components are outdated, and I got it this way because I needed it for the purpose of 3D modeling at the time... and no, it doesn't have 1TB, that's childs play, I have 2 TB SSD. why? because development files get big, and crashing half way through is never a good thing. I can run active staged backups with that much readily available, active space, so if anything ever corrupts I can pull a file from 5 or 10 minutes ago, play a short bit of catchup/refine, and carry on my merry way, it wasn't, for me, a stupid investment.

It does, however, play PS2 well enough that I laugh whenever anyone cries about their PC's power; only limiting factor here is my ISP, which is probably going to be your only real limiting factor on the PS4 when it comes to online play as well.
  14. BlackDove

I'm really curious what kind of specifications your PC has, specifically the CPU's and GPU's(I'm assuming you have multiple of either or both with that price). 1TB vs 2TB is like a $30 difference now.

Of course no PC can match a PS4 or Xbox in terms of price. Consoles are ALWAYS sold at a loss, so they can make the money back in game sales. To build a similar PC, you'd probably have to spend about $750.
  15. Rhumald

it was top line at the time, but not as much now, still good though

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz (about $1200, price hasn't come down much)
    and
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 ($500 at release, around $300 now)

only 1 of each, the Drives at the time made up another $700 because I wasn't going to cheap out on an SSD setup that would fail in a couple years, stable long lasting drives were expensive and I needed them for my backup architecture (still got a deal when purchasing 2 drives though, 1TB was the biggest avail at the time). around an extra $200 for 16gigs of ram... there are much better kits than what I've got and I've been meaning to upgrade that(I've seen a 200gig one but, I just had to ask myself why anyone would ever need that). there's the cost of the cooling system, another $100, about $700 worth of peripheral devices (can't have a gaming ready PC without a headset, mouse, and keyboard to match it, right? all those extra buttons are great for 3D work too), 2 decent monitors (which I really need to upgrade so I can use Nvidia's 3D acceleration) adds another $400 and $100 for the damned OS and the crap that came with it. so $4000, +13% taxes came to $4520, and then shipping for all that stuff and the damned border charges pushed that to just over $5000 (cad)

in retrospect, I should have purchased 2 lower end CPUs, would have made a huge difference, but I'm satisfied with the rig for now.

... not factored in is the ~$4000 cost of a developer version of 3DS max and a ~$3000 Wacom Cintiq tablet, which I love... you know, because people that have a market cornered are excessively expensive...

the thing is, that the PS4 has the potential to outperform my rig, just because it's not purchased parts pieced together like my PC is, it's parts specifically designed to mesh together seamlessly, and to work in tandem efficiently, and that is where it boasts that power from... it's the same reason some $1000 laptops can outperform my rig in some areas.
  16. Alexlightning7

That is not the reason the PS4 has the potential to outperform you, and I don't know what world you live in that you can find a 1000$ laptop that can come close to your PC.

I can see some 1600 laptops coming close at the gpu side, maybe some 3000$ ones coming closer on the CPU side, but there is no laptop now that will beat your PCs Processor.

No, The reason the PS4 might eventually outperform your 580(trust me, its never gonna outperform your cpu) is because of hardware optimization.
    on PC, you have thousands of different hardware combinations, and any optimizations have to go through the driver.

On consoles, everything is the same, so you can maximize the effeciency of the hardware.

Trust me, the possible PS4 performance has nothing to do with how its parts are packed in the box.
  17. Rhumald

no that's exactly what I meant, its a prepackaged bundle that doesn't need to worry about a bunch of overhead, so they can treat it all as a singular unit and optimize the **** out of it.