[Guide] Need help with my HA Guide

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Iridar51, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Iridar51

I need you guys to take a look, and tell me if anything is missing or incorrect or could use an improvement.

Specifically, regarding aspects unique to Heavy Assault. A lot of things, like weapon mechanics and sidearm options, are the same for HAs as for other classes, so where possible I just linked already existing guides.

However, as LA main, my HA-specific knowledge is limited, and a lot of it is obtained by interacting with prominent HA mains.

To me, the only missing thing so far is detailed LMG / Rocket Launcher guide, but it's not something I want to work on, since I lack hands-on experience, especially with non-TR LMGs / Launchers. At most I could list LMGs and post links to up to date video reviews.

But if any of you is up to creating an LMG guide, I'd be happy to assist with working on it and posting it.

Adding example loadouts is on my to-do list.
  2. Iridar51

I guess the biggest problem right now is that it's more of a description than a guide. It tells what HA is, but not how to play it.
  3. Eternaloptimist

Looking good.

I wonder if it is worth mentioning that the Phoenix has a unique damage model against various types of target, to offset (maybe?) the lower headline damage per rocket than most of the others - but also can be prone to misfires. Might also mention that the lock-on coyote mechanism for Striker rockets only works if they get close enough to the air target (40 metres IIRC).

Generally ESRLs are consdiered a bit 'niche' - not terribly good individually but powerful if used in teams with other RL users. Or more effective at finsihing off damaged vehicles due to their unique characteristics (did you mention the tremendous range fo the Lancer?).

In gameplay I have noticed recently that HAs will often use their dumbfire RLs as anti infantry weapons to help break defensive positions as well.

Sorry it's only about RLS - I only play HA nowadays when I need one.
  4. Iridar51

Thanks for your input :)
  5. Cymric

I think you should mention that heavy assault's ideal role is holding a point. Ideally your flanks are covered by allies so the only thing you need to worry about is head to head fight with enemies entering the door way you are covering. In this case, the shield and large magazine size allow the heavy assault to lock down an entrance longer than any other class could.
  6. Iridar51

What about a MAX? Or MANA turret engi? I think they'd fare better in both cases.
  7. Eternaloptimist

Personal opinion only - I think mobility (with a bit higher protection against other infantry classes) is the advantage of HA in combat. HAs holding a point do better if they get out ahead and on the flanks of the cap point and defend in some depth with crossfire and counterattack, rather than the common Max defensive tactic of sitting on the point with a tame Engie and blasting away. SO, on the defensive, it is breaking up attacks rather thanjsut digging in and sloggin it out that is their best use.

This is probably best demonstrated in large bases where there are two or three cap points and a similar number of shield generators to cover. the constant cap and recap actions spread across the surrounding area are typical HA territory - LA and infil can take them but holding them against an HA counterattack is problematic............and there often aren't enough Maxes to cover eveything.

Static turrets tend not to survive for very long and whilst Maxes can actually be better at breaking a defensive point, it is often fatal for them and it is the HAs who tend to consolidate and widen the breach.This kind of makes them good close support troops in an assault as well as being able to lead the assault (wwhen there are enough of them)

In short, I think that in addition to numbers (Maxes require resource points) it is the combination of better personal defence and mobility that makes HA the effective shock troops that they are. HA are also uniquely equipped to hurt things in many ways, with their combination of AI and AV weapons (thrown, launched and fired).
    • Up x 1