need advice on using LA effectively

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by ArcKnight, May 8, 2013.

1. ArcKnight

I really wanna play this class

I use the Piston sneak up behind to shoot them then jump jet above to surprise the next guy but thats about it
    and I'm not sure where to go after that
  2. ih8Darian

Maybe you should try using a carbine instead of a shotgun? Yes, shotguns gets you lots of kills but I find using a carbine a lot more fun (I feel like I'm cheap when I use PA's)
    • Up x 3
  3. ArcKnight

but doesn't the CoF become horrendously bad while using jump jets, the Piston's high spread makes it viable
    I find PA's to be "meh" since I have to get a little too up close & personal for my tastes
  4. ih8Darian

Actually haven't tried to use jump jets and a carbine at the same time that much. Only time I really do is when I'm jetting backwards and someone's firing at me so I would fire at him too. Usually it works well enough to where he has to take cover
  5. RogueComet

I wrote a guide for my outfit a while back on Light Assault. I've also given a bunch of trainings to them for the class. Here's some of the information that I like to give out:

Mobility:
    Light Assaults are the master of mobility. Their jump jets allow them to move about the battlefield and get into places that nobody else can. This can be an incredible benefit for you but can also cause you to die in very unpleasant ways. It is OK to use your jump jets to get into better ambush positions, you can get a lot of kills by going around the firefight and shooting people from the back. Sometimes you may be disappointed because they will already have been killed while you were making your way around so you are flanking them, but when it works, you can easily get three times the normal kills by coming in from the rear or above. Getting up high is just as valid of a tactic as flanking, but getting above them and behind is obviously the best. I can't even begin to think how many times I've stood on roofs or above cap points at outposts and killed half a dozen people as they run in. Often they will be shooting at people around you on the ground totally ignoring you up above. Keep an eye out to where they are shooting though, cause you can still drop rather quickly when they finally notice where you are at and shooting from. Think of this as something similar to a sniper, get your kill and move to a different spot, always killing from a new place. You kill from the same spot too often and they'll track you down, guaranteed.

I really want to stress that you have to be careful though with your Light Assault to not become too mobile. It is VERY easy to get too far away from support (heck I do it often still too and I kick myself each time I find this happening) and into a dangerous spot that you won't be able to get out of. I'll admit, we aren't always running big ops with a need to stay as a group, but even at those times try not to over extend yourself too much or you'll run into a room with 3 enemies while the rest of the people following you are way too far behind to support.
    Always stay up on objects. Some of us like to say that a Light Assault should be pretending that the ground is lava. If you are looking to be in a fight, you should believe him since being on the ground spells DANGER for you and CANDY for your enemy. Some of my favorite firefights have been defending spots in a dark room where I was crouched on top of a set of shelves. You'd be surprised how rarely they look up in the corners of rooms on top of the shelves. Super easy to run out of ammo in these situations.
    Jump Jet Hints:

When jumping horizontally (straight across) it is better to do short bursts, due to how the current recharge method sometimes recharges in spurts. If you do this properly, you can get 10% or more distance out of your jump. I've managed to go over 55+ meters this way, while a sustained burst (spacebar being held down instead of small taps of the space bar) can get you maybe 45m at the most.

Jump jets have a bit more fuel in them than what your gauge shows. If you want to see how this works, try running forward and hold down your space bar so you jump. If you watch your fuel gauge, you can jump a bit more after it reads that it is empty. Always keep this in mind as that extra bit of boost can get you on top of buildings that you didn't think you could normally get on top of.

On the flip side of that coin, you can't use your jump jets until there are several ticks of fuel in them. If you try to trigger them before that, they won't work. If you are falling and semi-close to the ground, be sure you have some jump jet juice left over. Running out and having hopes that you'll recharge enough to soften your fall can be extremely dangerous! If using them simply to break your fall, it is better to fall for a while and then break your falling speed all at the end. Terminal velocity does exist in this game.

If you are jumping and find yourself flying towards the side of an object instead of going up enough to make it on top of the object, remember that letting go of your forward movement will give you extra height. I find myself correcting with back (S) quite often too, flying up until I get to the level I want and then going forward. Don't worry about moving forward/back over and over while going up, it is close enough to jumping with no forward movement that you still get your boost to the height that you want to achieve. Just remember that letting go of your movement key can get you extra height, so do it! Also, sometimes when you run into a wall while trying to go up, you'll get stopped (the wall stops your vertical movement) so it is better to stay just a bit away from the wall and only when at the height you want to be, move forward.

C4 is your Friend:
    I can't stress how awesome having two C4 is for a Light Assault. It can be effective on both Maxes and Softies if used properly. Softie kills as they run up to a cap point and then you trigger it when you see it is flashing works as a great ambush.

C4 can make an excellent trap. Put it in a spot you are sure the enemies are sure to run and wait. Trigger it and instant splattered enemies. When defending a capture point, I'll often place C4 on the ground right in front of the point and then back off a little ways. Just wait for it to start to flash on your map and set the thing off. Works so nicely that you can often get several in a row before they decide to hunt you down instead of capping the point. Know a max (or softie) is going to come up a set of stairs? Drop C4 a step or two above the top of the stairs and trigger it as soon as you see them. The short delay means they'll be right on top of the explosion.

In order to destroy a tank (or maxes) with C4 there are a few things you can do. First off, you want to always try to attack from the rear simply so they don't see you. Coming down from above can also be very viable. For maxes you want to attack from the rear simply because you'll survive longer if they aren't shooting at you! Your second possibility besides getting it from the rear armor is to fly above using your jets. This takes some practice but you can jet above and drop your C4 (hopefully again on the rear part of the tank) and then set it off. This strategy can also work with maxes but more often than not, they'll follow you with their guns and shoot you out of the air. Still, you will last a bit longer dropping C4 on a max than standing 15 feet in front of it, so go ahead and use your jump jets to get over the top of them.

With practice, you'll be dropping enemies left and right using your C4. Trust me when I say one of the most satisfying things in the game is to solo a tank using two C4 knowing you ruined their day.

Other Ways to Fight:
    Actually killing people can be something of a challenge with Light Assault. If you start shooting at someone's back, there is no guarantee you'll win even if you are shooting first. There are a few things you can do to fix this though.

IRON-SIGHTS is HUGE. Too much spread and lack of accuracy can really be partly gotten past with the use of iron-sights (right-click while shooting). Me, I always use the INRV scope so I have good high contrast views of the enemy. This helps for getting head shots more often (almost necessary if you want to get the kill first) as well as just spotting the enemy when they may normally blend in. The only time I don't use iron-sights is when I'm less than 10 or 15 meters. Zoom at that point can be fatal due to how quickly people can move. Iron-sights also is really necessary for the next tactic. I HIGHLY recommend that you use INRV and I think most LA would agree that they use it over all other scopes most of the time because our weapons are short range.

Jumping while shooting can help if you do it correctly. Getting into a firefight with someone where you are exchanging fire on the ground, sometimes it is good to press the space bar and take to the air while you are shooting. You REALLY need to be using iron-sights for this though, because if you test it without iron-sights, you'll notice that your bullet spread gets HUGE while you are jumping in the air. Right-click and using iron-sights will prevent your weapon from having crazy bullet spread. The tactic is especially useful if you jump up and to the side. Try not to jump forward and back as much as left or right while doing this. For some reason, people have a crazy hard time to track you when you are moving diagonal to them. Feel free to jump-strafe around them in a nice arc (or circle.) With practice this can be a very valid tactic, but again I must stress you MUST use iron-sights while doing this or you will most definitely die. Honestly I even jump while shooting when inside a base hallway, just because it'll help keep them from getting a head-shot on you since your body will be in the spot they are used to shooting the head at. If you want me to describe in greater detail this jump-strafe tactic, please let me know. It is VERY effective when you understand how it works.

Try to stay in close range. While the light assault can get into some pretty awesome and crazy spots, our weapons are definitely NOT long range weapons. One of the things I've noticed is that tracers can give your elevated spot away. Well tracers don't seem to always show up if your enemies are within 20-30m. I'm not sure if this happens because of the suppressor that I've been using, but several times I've been on top of a shelf in a room and even though I kill one person in a group of 10 people, nobody sees me up there and I'm able to kill a second, a third, and so on until I'm out of ammo. This is especially true at night of course since that is when tracers usually show up, but staying close definitely seems to make a difference as to if they can follow the tracers back to the source or not.

Don't get too close. Unless you are pretty good with your knife, getting in to super close range (under 10m) seems to make the fight much more slanted to the enemy weapons as well unless you are using a shotgun.

Well... hope those hints and tips help. If you want me to describe in more detail jump-strafe shooting, or more advanced tactics with C4, please let me know.
    • Up x 3
  6. Kuriby

Learn to not use iron sites when engaging anyone <25m.

Hip fire is your best friend and you can abuse the hell out of it.

Stay in cqc.

Never stop moving. If you couldn't gun down your last target in <1-2 seconds. Run away and engage another target.

LA is all about playing fast. Its the ONLY way to get a >3.0 K/D efficiently.

If you are lonewolfing. Suppressor is a must, no questions asked.
  7. Hosp

LAs are not snipers. Just because you can get somewhere high doesn't mean it's a good idea to try and snipe people. Sure you might get a couple kills, but chances are you're already being flanked.

And has been mentioned ad nauseam...don't stop moving.
  8. vaxx

There really is no way to answer the OP. There are different ways to play LA.

When I first started playing LA on my VS, I went Slug Shotgun sniper. It was good, and I enjoyed it. In that style there was a lot of staying still, and engaging from long range. So despite the fact that everyone says to keep moving, and engage in CQV-medium range, it wouldn't apply here. I have since moved on to a different style.

I still only play LA, and on each faction, I play them differently. Find what you enjoy the most. And remember 75% of what people say on forums is not totally true. So take all advice with a grain of salt.
  9. Boroming

get a carbine with adv laser sight / soft bullet / 1x reflex or irnv
    suppressor is your discretion.

use hip fire under 25m, with this config you can use hip fire while JJing

then get c4.
  10. ArcKnight

I actually prefer shotguns for the LA since it can dish out a tone of damage quickly

and speaking of C4 does still take 2 bricks to kill MBT's/lightnings, and is it still possible to take out a sundy with it
  11. InterSpectra

LA is a highly adaptable class, and there isn't a "proper" way of playing the sandbox class. KDR shouldn't matter, as long as you accomplish your task whether scouting or taking out critical targets.

I've been running the starting carbine with the 1x Reflex + Supressor + Foregrip (does NOTHING but I still use it), and gotten used to hipfiring at maximum CoF when necessary. Fight dirty because all you really have is mobility, fly over aim for their heads and crouch before landing to minimize your hitbox, knife them from behind.

[IMG]
  12. ArcKnight

how often so you get headshots while flying

and how do you know when to use the jump jets and what cover is most effective
  13. Boroming

you ask for advice
    we are telling you to start with a carbine.

shotgun have a small window for error, since you have to be upclose if you miss you die.
    a good carbine (for VS vx6-7 and serpent) allow you to be more flexible. the ttk up close is still lethal as a shotgun and you have more range (up to 50 meter, more if you are skilled)

c4 is a must. sure they nerfed a couple of time, still is good against everything (max, mbt, light and sundy)
  14. Thrustin

Im interested in trying out the soft point ammo, but wouldnt that in combination with the suppressor make the bullet travel ridiculously slow?
  15. SupaFlea

its not really that noticeable unless you plan on only engaging enemies head on which isnt advisable.
    LA has been my main class from the beginning an I use it as more of a saboteur class, my second load out is completely Recon/Stealth, Trac 5 S + 1x Reflex + Laser Sight + Suppressor with Pistol + Suppressor + Laser Sight, 2 C4 and Flash grenades.
    I only use the Trac 5 S out preference, there are better Carbines for such a class but you can be a real pain in the enemies butt if you get in behind enemy lines/

Remember the art of misdirection, You have jetpack, if caught in a reload break line of sight and JP over the obstacle you hiding behind, Its natural for ppl to watch the location they saw you last.
  16. Barue

I've been using only an NV scope and a foregrip on my Serpent, I should be using Laser sight instead? As well as soft point?

I feel like the serpent's velocity is so low already that SP ammo will make it terrible
  17. SupaFlea

I cant give any suggesting when it comes to VS weapons as im only a TR player, but it depends on your playstyle and what situations you find your self in the most. my 3rd loadout is my Night kit, Carbine + NV scope Suppressor + Soft Ammo. The NV scope with the Suppressor coupled with NV scope just feels more accurate to me, dunno if it is stat wise. As for the Laser Sight, I use it a lot for when I come up against HA. Since HA hit their panic button when a so much as a mouse sneezes in front of them, having a LS on and jetpacking over top helps avoid a lil fire while you burn down their extra shield landing head shots
  18. belthazor3457

...that's it?

Good sir... you need C4... C4 will bring you so much joy.
  19. ArcKnight

I just unlocked 1 Brick of C4, will get the 2nd brick after I'm done with the shield capacitor
  20. Chiss

It's all about combat awareness. You need to know whats going on all around you at all times. It comes with time and experience.
    • Up x 2