[NC] Guild: ETTA

Discussion in 'Helios (US West)' started by anaverageguy, Dec 6, 2012.

1. anaverageguy

Moved from the general recruiting threat now that subforums have been created.

NC. Recruiting for Guild: ETTA. (This is an original by me. If I took someone's name, sorry.)
    Yes, I called it a guild as the term is a key description of our social structure.

We may technically be an outfit, but I prefer the term "guild" because I will run it more like a guild than a planetside outfit; there is no chain of command, no "superiors" to speak of, and no orders will be issued [if at all] that you are obliged to follow as a member of the guild. Does that mean anarchy shall rule? No. Most decisions will be made through debate and majority vote (outside of combat) of those participating and prior to mobilizing as a group; we will decide on special roles to be filled [if any] and the people in those roles are subject to constant change depending on various factors, skill and attention span included.

That said, there are of course some general "guidelines" for those who want to join and quirks that set us apart, aside from the whole "guild" thing.

ETTA in our case stands for <Experimental Tactics, Testing & Application>. So then, is it meant to be a dead serious research group finding the in's and out's of planetside2? No, not really.. You can think of it as goof-offs occasionally performing experiments or people who perform experiments occasionally goofing off. (Despite the impressions some people say my method of writing gives, I don't take much seriously unless I consider it rude to be otherwise. But I digress.)

What's good and what's not for members?
    Lax is good.
    Immature is not.
    Creative [even at the "wow that's kinda dumb, but maybe it'll work" level] is good.
    Complete apathy is not.
    Reasonable is good.
    Rudeness is not.

In other words:
    "Oh shoot, that didn't work. Lol oh well." is good.
    "***?? That's ******* OP! SOE *****!" is not.
    "Let's not take a medic and let's not walk in through the front door. Cause the medic can't fly. Let's just see how it goes." is good.
    "My opinion? Dude I don't give a ****. lol." is not.
    "I don't think you should keep jumping out in front like that. You keep us from returning fire while you take all the hits." is good
    "Dude you suck SO BADLY. Uninstall." is not.

Oh. Yeah.. This is a bit out of place, but the main language for ETTA will be English. I don't care if you need google translate as long as "it duznt lok lik dis" (<- that ain't English, as far as I'm concerned). Just, English.

Hopefully this will filter out people that are more likely to have fun in other outfits while helping you to understand if maybe you'd enjoy being in ours. If that's all you're willing to read before applying or moving elsewhere, that's fine (to apply, move all the way to the bottom for instructions).
    The above should give the gist of what's up with ETTA, but there's more to read if you so desire.
    (The rest will probably be less organized.. And much less concise.)

_________________________________________________________________________________

First off, I'd like to say that no mike is required. Ever. At all. Completely optional. Hell, you don't even need to turn the voice receiving on if you don't want to (just tell us when you don't have it on). I myself don't like how peoples' voices sound sometimes, my own included. How do we communicate then?
    There's this thing called the chat.. and unlike the voice feed where it's difficult at times to identify who said what or even understand what they said in it's entirety, you can check back on what someone said in the chat. It's documented. If you said something incorrectly, you can know it without having to think hard about what it was that you said and I value that over convenience in most cases.

Will the mike never be utilized? It will [if you choose to use it]. In combat, when stopping to type in a few words can get you killed. We will establish a system used to communicate, but nothing too complicated. (If it's an emergency, ignoring the following procedure would be good.) Maybe something like, identifying yourself so we know who's talking first, then stating whatever it is that's on your mind. Or if to a specific person, identifying yourself and then the person you're speaking to.. Which brings me to something else.

Names. I don't need to know your real name. No one does. HOWEVER! If your character name is something that can't be pronounced easily or quickly, like, I don't know.. IAmSoGoodAtThisLol (Not one I've seen in game yet)? Please, give us a reasonable nickname to use or we will make one for you. To IAmSoGoodAtThisLol, I would give the nickname of LN. Not natural log, "Long Name". But that'd effectively make your name "Ellen".

I suppose I'll now address what obligations you WILL have once you're actually in. To be honest, it's not much. If you're not doing something by choice, why do it at all? You are generally free to leave the guild whenever you please, do what you please, and hang out with whom you please. (Please note that I reserve the right to remove members that I feel are really not contributing to ETTA in any way. Even voicing an opinion or helping to test things out would count as being helpful. I will, however, be sure to put the removal out for discussion and a vote.. unless I really don't like you because what you do is unacceptable.) The only thing to really keep in mind is personal conduct.
  2. anaverageguy

Note: This part is kind of important.

Griefing and trolling other players is not considered acceptable. Neither is joining an opposing faction and then team killing to sabotage them (though this one is more of an honor thing).
    Please stay relatively courteous, aside from joking and name calling between close friends, and explain your more assertive statements whenever possible. Don't just tell the guy he sucks. Tell him why something keeps happening to him and what he can do better. Or maybe ask why he keeps doing that in the first place. Perhaps he's trying to figure something out and you can be helpful rather than making it more difficult.

Stay cool. Feel free to laugh when things go horribly wrong for you, a guild member, or everyone involved. Don't go on a flaming rant about how horrible life is or how much better something COULD be. Make formal complaints and requests if necessary and enjoy what you can.

Be open to discussion [via chat] regarding whatever issue members bring up.
    I guess I need to talk about the specifics of how the guild will run, at least at the beginning.

Note: The part I said was kind of important is over. But the rest is kind of important too..

So. How the guild will be run. ETTA will hold formal meetings only once a week. Why not every night? Because some people have lives that won't go on if they stay on a game too often. Work, school, yadda yadda (feel free to hang out whenever though.. like you need me to say that). The dates to begin with will be every Saturday, from 8pm (Pacific) till whenever you guys get tired or have to leave. We will gather at the Esamir NC Warpgate on the upper floor then move from there to wherever the group agrees to go. Maybe even split up into smaller groups.. [but that's for when the guild gets larger].

Attending the sessions will be completely optional. Even for me. Yes, it can take place without the guild leader. This isn't exactly a group for people that want to be led around like sheep. If the number of people showing up is very low due to individual players' circumstances, we'll just adjust the date/time that we meet on to accommodate.

How would these meetings work that it could take place without the guild "leader"?
    Well, for those who have forgotten after having read all of the above, ETTA stands for <Experimental Tactics, Testing and Application>. What that means is rather vague for good reason. We make stuff up, try it in a non-combat environment by ourselves and volunteers if necessary, and then try it out for real with the objective of finding ways to work with what we've got (yes, with what we've got, Not "will have" or "may have" or "want".) in the most effective manner given different scenarios. For now, the experimental tactics will be referred to as the "methods". The methods are up to the members to decide and create, myself included, but the overall objectives for which the methods are created will be set forth by myself, depending on what seems most necessary at the time (though I will probably put different options up for a discussion and vote) and will be posted in the daily message section.

For example, the objective may be to create methods that increase the probability of being able to fight and win in urban outposts given that your side is outnumbered by 50+%.
    Or methods to more effectively combat and defeat a competent air force + tanks combination given slightly lower or equivalent population.
    Or something more general, like methods for infantry combat that increase survival rate, but are easy for even beginners to pick up and utilize. (This one is my current top priority)

Methods that we find to be working very well will be published for everyone else that's interested to try out, giving due credit where due. I'm kind of hoping that someone with a good computer that can record things will join, but that's just wistful thinking.

Will this work out in the long run? I don't know. That's kind of the point.

Achieving consistent results when the odds are against us, not for us, is what we strive towards. For that, tactics are a must.

Note: End.
  3. anaverageguy

About me: (I'm not going to tell you something unrelated to PS2.)
    Throughout Beta, my KD has constantly fluctuated between an average of 2.0 and 1.0.
    With my transition to NC, it now hovers between a 2.5 and 3.0
    I'm decent as infantry, with a preference for Heavy Assault.
    In a tank, I can aim well enough to hike my KD high up, but driving and shooting at the same time.. no go.
    I'm dead weight in the air for the most part if in my own aircraft, but **** if I don't try.

Given my own abilities in combat, I don't hold unreasonable expectations from others.
    If anything, please understand that KD is not considered to be important and if you care for it a lot.. you might want to let us know. I'm not going to tell you that you should be willing to die for the team though; dead men do not shoot, do not repair, do not heal others, do not draw fire.. so on and so forth.
    The following will be for those who wish to apply.

______________________________________________________________________________________

What's required for Guild: ETTA

Age? Nope.
    Real name? Nope. Optional (just provide a nickname if necessary)
    Prowess in anything at all? Nope.

It doesn't matter whether you are a new player or a veteran and it doesn't matter what you are good at (though what you prefer or would like to be good at is a different matter).
    If anything, being aware of what you're not good at, your flaws, is more important.

Simply (one of the three)
    pm an ign to Ajusshi (my ign)
    write an ign on the forums if willing
    or send an ign to my forum account through the Start a Conversation thing.

Please include a short message of sorts. You pick what to write.

Also, I don't mind if you're just joining with an alt. That's perfectly fine. Chances are, I'll take anyone that wants in until they make it painfully obvious that they do not belong.
    (No website yet. I'm not very techy.)

See you guys around.

My schedule is rather erratic and ever-changing due to school and work, but I will generally be online (Pacific time) on Friday nights from 10 or 11pm onwards, Saturday nights from about the same time (perhaps sooner), and.. whenever I find time to be on. I really enjoy this game. If you can only be online on certain days, specific times, I'd be more than happy to go online on that day, at that time, to get you in (assuming that I can). Just say so. Thanks.
  4. TheGangsterPanda

IGN:TheGangsterPanda
    This sounds so amazing. I'm not sure what my skill level is at all, because I can't accurately measure it due to the fact that I have quite a bit of lag.
    Edit:I fixed 99% of the lag, and I have decided to play as engineer mainly. I can't fly for crap.
  5. Gromire

IGN: Gromire I mostly run as Heavy Assault or max with dual scatter for point defense but have some invested in lightning driving as well. would be willing to play any role needed though, just looking for a good group to team up with when I log in. Usually online late friday and sat nights or early evenings on the weekdays pst. Hope to see ya in-game
  6. anaverageguy

Objectives

It seems that, regarding the objectives/methods, posting the high-priority, in-progress, postponed, completed, and abandoned ones here may make it easier for those that can't actually get into the game to stay in touch, especially since I can continuously edit outfit recruitment posts. I'm guessing you guys can continuously edit yours as well.

High-Priority:
    1. n/a
    In-Progress:
    1. Methods to improve infantry survival rate regardless of the individual's ability (or lack thereof) to aim accurately. Preferably easy for beginners to pick up.
    Postponed:
    1. n/a
    Completed:
    1. n/a
    Abandoned:
    1. n/a
  7. TheGangsterPanda

We could try to work on mid-air-aircraft-switching. Some other people have already done it.
  8. crawlee

9. anaverageguy

Do you mean something akin to the Thatch weave? Or do you mean switching control of aircraft in midair, in which case.. what would the objective of that be? I can't really think of any particular uses on the spot.
  10. TheGangsterPanda

I mean jumping out of airplane A into airplane B. Would make A crash, but it could be useful if you were being tailed by someone and the plane was about to blow up but you didn't want to jump out.
  11. Apothecarian12

Ok. How can I sign up? My NC Character is Apothecarian12. I'm a complete n00b, but I try hard. I mostly play Heavy Assault, with a little bit of Infiltrator. I am terrible with gunships, but am decent with tanks.
  12. BuckshotBill

I'd love to join, this outfit sounds perfect for me. My character name is BuckshotBill and I'll be online tomorrow!

I mostly play engi and am focused on A2G Reaper, but I am a proficient pilot in any aircraft or tank.
  13. ShadowSkulkerer

I don't know what class I like most yet. New to PS2 with some FPS experience. (And I'm talking single player campaigns mostly and small time console competitive. Nothing this big.) This game seems overwhelming but looks to be immense fun and I've even figured out how to be a minor help in some situations... I hope. I'd love to gain some advice and knowledge from this guild and have fun.
  14. anaverageguy

Appreciate the replies, guys. Unfortunately, I seem to be having trouble getting people in since I can't send invites if we're not both online. So, to help remedy this somewhat, I'll be making everyone I can an officer once they're in (under the assumption that they can send invites too) and posting whenever I plan to be on in this.. post.. here.

For now, I'm busy until Friday night. I plan to be online this Friday at 10pm and will try all the character names of the people that haven't gotten in yet as soon as I am.
  15. P3STILENCE1973

Hey AverageGuy. This sounds EXACTLY like my type of outfit.....uh Pardon me....Guild. I'm pretty new to the game, but making alot of headway. I utililize Heavy Assault, Engineer and Medic well. I am most definitely a team player and I'm a decent ground vehicle operator. I'm a great gunner, but I fly as well as I would imagine Ron White would on any given Friday night....well any day for that matter. I will get better, but many more aircraft will most certainly be destroyed in an inverted high speed ground impact to further my education. My battle name is the same P3STILENCE1973.