NC Gauss Rifle S discussion

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by kennonfodder, Apr 12, 2013.

1. kennonfodder

Fellow medics,

what do you think of this rifle? Endless customization options, stat wise comparable to the NC medic default gun Gauss Rifle, maybe a touch weaker for CQC combat (no adv laser sight possible).

Here the stats

500 certs or 700 SC

30 bullets magazine

Damage
    167 @ 10 meters
    143 @ 75 meters

Reload
    2.2 seconds short
    2.86 seconds long

Recoil
    Vertical
    Horizontal
    0.175/0.2
    Recoil multiplier of 1,75
    Recoil goes to the top right on auto

Three different fire modes: auto, burst and semi

Rate of fire

Bullet speed

Three underbarrel attachments available

UB Grenade Launcher
    UB Shotgun
    UB Smoke Grenade Launcher

Or

Forward Grip
    Laser Sight
    Flashlight (muahaha very important one)

Ammo types available
    Soft Point
    High velocity

Barrel attachments
    Compensator
    Flash and ordinary suppressors

All scopes available

Some comments:

My 5th of six (not counting the Gauss Burst) NC Medic ARs.
    So far Reaper DMR, NS-11a, GR-22, Gauss Rifle

Now the Gauss Rifle S. Since four months looking for THE gun which covers everything, got fed up with changing between the 4 weapons, and shotguns and SMGs, dont use them for this class.
    I didn’t find too much information about the best attachments in the forums, best practice reports or a good video on youtube.

So, any thoughts here? Any heavy users? Your favorite customization? Best scopes? Hints? Love or hatred? A better allround gun than NS-11a? In comparison with other (NC or non-NC) ARs?

Discuss! :)
  2. irishroy

usual: 2x reflex, compensator, nadelauncher

CQC- suppr. soft point ammo, laserpointer.

longrange: 4x scope, grip, compensator and HVA
    ^^
  3. Flashtirade

The Gauss Rifle S (and the Gauss Rifle) does better than one would expect with a laser sight. It's not a bullet hose, but the CoF is surprisingly adequate. It's best if you ADS in all engagements, but a laser sight gives you the hipfire option for desperate situations.

However, for any non-CQC engagements, there are no downsides to using the compensator. This increases the handling while still leaving room for an underslung. I personally run with the UB shotty for when I don't have the ability to switch to my GR-22, but the grenade and smoke launchers can also be used to good effect.
  4. EViLMinD

The S is must in any NC CM's gun locker. I use it for mid to long-range engagements because I have better CQC weapons: SMGs, shotguns and GR-22.

My typical setup is HVA. compensator, grip and 3.4 LACO.

Eventually, I'll get around to unlocking CQC attachments: SPA, suppressor, under shotty and laser.
    • Up x 1
  5. RatedRBread

why do people like the GR-22 over the Carnage?
  6. Flashtirade

Mostly because it's cheaper and has better base stats. The Carnage has more attachments, but they're mostly for making it more of a mid-range gun, which it's not exactly suited for.
  7. Frosty The Pyro

if your not rocking an underbarrel, you should be using an -s. Take your pick on which you prefer.
  8. MrIDoK

The Carnage is NC's T1 Cycler with a few tweaks here and there... And with all that horizontal recoil you need a foregrip to shoot at more than 20 meters. It's a meh weapon at best, neither short range (only average rof for a 143 dmg gun) nor midrange (low damage and inaccurate).
    The GR-22 is a pure cqc weapon and does well at that. It's identical to our TAR but trades 10 bullets for faster reload speed and lower recoil. A beastly gun that you get for only 250 certs, of course everyone jumps on it as soon as possible :p
  9. Knarfis

I personally really like the Gauss Saw S. With all the little tid bits you get with this gun it really can be setup for every situation you come into contact with. Outside of true close quarter combat this gun really does very well. I completely stand by this gun. But for anyone that is looking into getting this gun a few points of warning.

You are a combat medic, so this gun is not meant to mow down one enemy after another. This gun just cant do that, mainly due to its very small magazine size. With this gun you will either damage an enemy initially or finish him off for someone else. The under-barrel shotgun is worthless. Both the under-barrel smoke and standard gernade launcher are good for specific situations. Dont expect to rule the battle field with either or use them that often for that matter. They are nice to have but are most of the time unused, unwarranted or ineffective in what ever situation you are in. Dont get me wrong, they are both great to have when they can be used correctly and effectively.

Another note, do not put a suppressor on with soft point ammo. You will render the gun useless. Stick with normal or HV ammo if you are to run with the suppressor or run with soft point and no suppressor.

As far as the point where this gun is worthless, CQC, shot guns take the cake for this and would be worth getting into or a sligthly better option depending on your play style is the carnage BR. Yes this gun has been brough up next to the GR-22. Both guns are nice but I prefer the Carnage as it only has vertical recoil and the gun just gave me a better feeling of control. Mind you both guns eat through their magazines very fast. You can not take on an enemy with less then a full mag in either of these guns. Bottom line though, after purchasing the Carnage, I have tended to simply just use my Gauss Saw S as it fits almost every situation I am placed in. This is not saying the Carnage is a bad gun at all, it, for me, is just to niche of a gun over the Gauss Saw S.

Hope this helps
    Knarfis
  10. Manetheren

NV scope, and a Suppressor OR a Flash Suppressor to lay down fire from a distance. Underbarrel shotgun for those CQC moments, it's a OHK on a heavy with shield.
  11. Manetheren

Gauss Saw S is for Heavy Assault, not for Combat Medic 0___o
  12. Knarfis

Yep my mistake. Total typo there in my first post there. Still stand by everything I say, just about the correct gun not the one I stated in my post. Boy that makes me look like the jack ***. Truly wish I could edit out the mistakes

Knarfis
  13. kennonfodder

Thanks for your insights guys, really helpful stuff :) (also about the Carnage BR)

After 10 very entertaining hours with the Gauss S

-The UB Grenade Launcher is simply OP when not bugged (approx. 40% of times the grenade does not detonate), only times the grenade explodes 100% is when the grenade is fired from an elevated spot. The UB G-launcher makes a very likely kill a 1000% kill, for example you surprise someone from behind.

-at first hard to get used to the new keyboard commands (instead of 3 for med gun, its 4, pistol on 3 instead of 2 and so on)

-CQC, totally agree with some of the posts, it doesnt give you an edge but its enough to survive the easy encounters, the hip fire mode with a compensator is not too bad, without a comp the Cof is very precise

-medium range, tried some variants after reading the posts here, goes very well with x2, but also with the default ironsides. About SPA, dont know, the gun fires slow in any case so that doesnt hurt a lot, the second of three firemodes very helpful here (burst fire).

-on long range, to compensate for the double recoil (towards top right) on a x4 scope it needs a ******* pro, too demanding for me, especially if you put on HVA :eek:

I wish I had discovered this gun earlier, Gauss S simply makes the NS-11a and NC 1 Gauss rifle (default) obsolete.
    Concerning the specialized guns in our arsenal, like the GR-22/Carnage (CQC), Reaper DMR (50 meters+), they offer more added value in the respective situations than the Gauss S.

A medic with the Grenade Launcher, 1or2 C4s, self healing device, a grenade bandolier and a the Gauss S is ....pretty packed and dangerous:cool:
  14. Chime

It's good for a JOAT gun, but yeah it'll pale in comparison to pretty much anything that's specialized for it's range category. The real advantage to it are the underbarrel attachments.

I run mine with 2 setups mainly, one for range and one for close, range is : 6x, HV ammo, Flash Suppresor and Smoke. Close is NV, Flash Suppresor and Smoke.

Lots of ppl underestimate the value of smoke, but if you're near an engineer it can be quite ridiculous for suppression (mainly of long rangers or MAXs, can work on other vehicles occasionally but don't rely on it), or great for cover on a rez or as a diversion (i.e. smoke one way run the other), and it's worth a laugh when you dome somebody with it (mind the friendlies). The reload is a little gimpy in that you can only carry one smoke nade in inventory at a time so you have to switch to it, reload then pick up the second one.

You might hate it or you might love it, it's a cheap sidegrade though so worth it imo for the sheer amount of diversity it has that it lets you play around with.
  15. RHYS4190

one thing I don't under stand with the Guass S/ and standard why is it less accurate then the Merc which is a carbine/

It kind of annoying that the Merk on paper and in practice and application is better then the Guass s which is supposed to be the full length Assault rifle version so you technically should get better groupings.
  16. drNovikov

UB smoke is useful to protect you and your patients.
  17. RHYS4190

No one bothers with those/ as far as im concerned not having a for grip is just a good way to get you killed accuracy is every thing in this game/

So why is a carbine better at every thing. why whould you go medic when Engineers have the best and most versatile weapons.

Only way I see this class being sort of usefull now is with a SMG.
  18. MrK

Bullet speed, damage drop off makes Gauss better at range
  19. Kahlev

Unfortunately many people run N/V on their CQC weapons, including myself. So don't think you're invincible when you pop smoke. That said, I do use the smoke launcher on my -S weapons a lot, both to cover heals and to cover advances.
  20. lilleAllan

Uhm what? Gauss Rifle wipes its *** with the Merc. Insane bullet speed, predictable recoil and lower damage drop off makes the Gauss Rifle FAR better at mid range than the merc. The up/right recoil let's me run this with a laser sight instead of foregrip, so I'd say the Gauss is more versatile as well.

As a matter of fact, I usually play engineer - the only reason I play medic is because I adore the Gauss Rifle so.