NC: Falcon good for AI at medium-long range?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by gilrad, Nov 25, 2012.

1. gilrad

So I've been enjoying the max a lot over the weekend (I'd say 60% of my xp came from owning with a stock one), and one thing I noticed: the Falcon is actually really good anti-infantry. Not HE spam good, but a direct hit will kill most anything in one shot (when the hits actually register, grrrr), and it has a small amount of splash to wound enemies.

So I was thinking: Has anybody tried using dual falcons as a "general purpose" setup? You won't be able to slaughter groups of three enemies head-on in close quarters like you could with dual scattercannons, so that is obviously best for indoors and inner-base conflicts, but when securing base perimeters, I was always amazed at how well the falcon can clear out an entrenched group trying to push into the base. Naturally, the ability to take on any vehicle that might be trying to assist the enemy is also a huge plus.
  2. Plunkies

I think good would be a bit generous. They'd be ok as long as you have the high ground and can maintain medium range at all times. I think you likely underestimate how much the shotgun arm saves you in CQB. And obviously the VS or TR anti infantry maxes would be better at doing whatever AI work you're doing with the falcons.
  3. Frotang

They work well on towers and walls supressing the enemies pusbing through a choke point. Im starting to get pretty accurate with them and the one hit kill gets me some hate tells :)
  4. BadgerDrool

I find my Falcon has some solid punch at medium-long range. It's really reliant on enemies not moving and thus better in line vs line fighting. I'll shoot at medics, Engineers, and Snipers primarily. I'll also peg Heavy Assault with shield up as they tend to stop moving as they use their extra shield to buy time to aim. Plunkies is right that higher ground helps but hitting targets that don't move much is better.

I have also found it doesn't one shot people. It usually takes two against any class but if they are injured at all it can drop em immediately. Maybe it's a cert thing though.

That said I get most of my Falcon infantry kills at short-medium range. If my Scattercannon is reloading I'll peg a shot out. It's made up for failing to aim my Scattercannon carefully a number of times. It's also let me win against Heavy Assault by blasting their shields off.

I'm going to say that for AI work Falcon/Falcon isn't going to work great. It'll work okay and is most appropriate in situations when you know you won't move much, won't get light assault in your grill, and expect to need to pop some tanks/turrets. Subbing the Scattercannon out and keeping the falcon should work better. Just need to figure out what AI gun is good against that range.
  5. gilrad

Well here's hoping these attacks that aren't one-shot kills are because they certed for flak armor (which should save the player from numerous one-hit kills anyway), and not from the extra health mod (which would be much more popular as a "general" cert, and would eventually invalidate the Falcon as anti-infantry when everybody's running around with it).