MSW-R

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by TheBloodEagle, Dec 20, 2012.

1. TheBloodEagle

I haven't been feeling my CARV & CARV-S lately, been using the CARV family since beta. I was struggling to figure out which LMG to get, especially with the bit of a nerf our TR weapons recieved. The biggest advantage TR is suppose to have is ROF, so I decided on the MSW-R earlier today, as it has the same ROF as the CARV. The T16 does have an Advanced grip but I didn't like the stats (lower ROF) and the TMG-50 has nice dmg but then I'd be trying to beat the NC at their own game, which wouldn't quite be efficient as they have higher max damage & their min damage on the SAW the same as the TMG-50s max & the ROF is in the NC ballpark overall. The T32 Bull was tempting but I felt like my CARV-S would already fit that role. I'm thinking about getting Soft ammo, silencer & grip on the MSW-R. I know the main attachment advantage with the MSW is the advance laser but I almost never hip fire. I still aim down the sight in close-ish range. Soft Ammo & Silencer is a major blow to projectile speed but I figure at the distance I will use it, it won't matter.

Any thoughts on this or experience with it?
  2. TrueGent

I use it almost exclusively, since its a great general purpose weapon with no major drawbacks; very handy for chaotic situations. Soft Ammo and a silencer, however, would make the bullet drop a bit excessive for not terribly much gain. If your set on that manner of configuration, a suppressor would probably do you more good than the silencer: you'll still be a less obvious target, but the weapon will be more effective at range.

Personally, I prefer greater ease of use to the very marginal gains of Soft Point ammo, but that will depend more on how good your are more than any spread sheet.

If you really want a good silencer configuration, your much better off going Light Assault, where getting close to the enemy unnoticed isn't quite as difficult. Its also not bad for engineers, if you have some vehicle certs as well. If you really want one on a heavy assault, stick it on your pistol: the default Terran pistol is quite dangerous against single enemies; doubly so if no one has noticed you.
  3. gunshooter

If you never hipfire, you'll do better with the Carv. For all intents and purposes, the MSW-R is just a Carv with worse recoil and an advanced laser.
  4. Kyutaru

Soft point ammo and silencer would turn the gun into an Uzi, completely useless outside of close range. But if you're okay with that, go for it and let us know how it worked out. It's hands down the better LMG for short range, having better recoil, accuracy, and special ammo.

Other options are switching to the AMR-66 and getting a feel for how a battle rifle plays out. The chaingun is nice for ambushing people if your squad is spotting for you. There's always the Nighthawk if you want to kill in the half the time of the MSW-R and still be just as useless outside of close range as your soft point/silencer setup.
  5. TheBloodEagle

Thanks for the feedback guys.

You said it perfectly. I believe that is what I'm going for. I'll have to get back to you guys later as I still need more certs to fully get it where I want. But it should be easy over this double exp week(end).

I have the AMR-66 as well, with every single attachment, including all sights. I have medals with it as well. But the weapon is still quite flawed. It's only useful for Engineers really. There are many threads on it, including ones by me. My biggest issue currently is that it has a bug. It doesn't show a tracer when fired so it makes bullet drop hard to judge (not a good thing in long-range). I've had some success with it in CQB @ night with the NV sights too but the LMG's are still the better option for HA (which is what I play 80% of the time).

I figure the soft point will make it effective because the extra 4 meters for max damage in CQB is worth it. 4 meters is 13 feet, so max damage for 49 feet or so. Can't argue that in close range fighting, doing max damage with 750 ROF is a plus; considering NC & VS still can turn around and shoot you, so you gotta be as quick as possible to throw damage. That extra 13 feet could make certain opportunities more effective, like if I can't get as close as I want, or they are running away.

I've been thinking about that too. I want to get the other pistol because it has a higher max damage. I definitely think laser & silencer on it would be a great combo. Maybe you're right, I should use the CARV for mid-long range and go pistol for CQB.
  6. TheBloodEagle

BTW, I wish we had the MSW instead:

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  7. Headcrab21

Here is some gameplay with the msw-R with advanced laser sight,hope it helps.

I really like the gun for close to medium range,but the small ammo pool is a bit of a problem.
    • Up x 1
  8. TheBloodEagle

BTW, from the video it looks like the advanced laser is barely visible. Is that true? or just a graphic setting or glitch? If it is less visible, then that's really great. The regular laser is like a light saber on the gun, eek.
  9. Ipecac

You can toggle the laser on and off like the flashlight (L by default). Currently this does not affect the COF benefit. Be sure to retoggle when you resupply/respawn, as it glitches such that you can't see it but others can.
    • Up x 2
  10. Headcrab21

I just tried both of them and they look identical in-game.
    Maybe its just the bad youtube quality or my low settings that give you that impression.

edit:Nice,didnt know you could switch em off.^^
  11. MartianDiscoFish

I have it unlocked on my TR toon
    My first impressons were that it seems very familiar to the Orion, low recoil, fast reload, decent hipfire.
    Though I found burst firing and tap firing to be slightly more difficult with the MSW-R than with the Orion, but it seems to have better sustained fire.
    Can't say I like it too much because the sustained fire benefit seems to be diminished by it's 50 round mag, but that's the same reason I dislike the Orion.
  12. inquisitor beetallus

MSW-R has been currently my favorite TR weapon. I recently got the MG and the AMR-66 and put a foregrip on my Carv.

My feelings on it is that I would take it over the Carv for sure, due to reload time. Yes the Carv has more ammo but terran high ROF means you need to reload often regardless, I would prefer a fast reload.
    Also I find it's great for burst firing at mid-long range. I run a foregrip and reflex sight, sometimes 3.4x for longer range battles.

That said I prefer my AMR for longer ranges and I don't know what all the QQ is about it's a great weapon and makes HA highly effective at longer range combat.

The MG is also a very effective gun but you have to be quick to shield and know your environment. It's also surprisingly good at a range due to its high ROF and damage and apparently no loss of damage at a range, if a target is in the open long enough you can spin up and fire a short burst before your accuracy decays and do significant damage.

That said I think the MSW-R is the most well rounded and best overall weapon available to us.

But I would rather have an Orion.
  13. Tetryon

It's amazing for CqC and will force your children to grow up to be strong overbearing jerks who beat up puny little kids and kick small dogs. Get this weapon asap!