[BUG] Motion Spotter / Dart Repeatable Bug

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Baccano, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Baccano

Hey all warning out to all infils out there:

I have recently noticed I'm getting more and more hunted down even while crouch walking near darts or motion spotters.

I noticed a trend that while crouch walking on a graded terrain either up or down will cause you to show up on a motion spotter or dart.

Baracuda and I just got done testing this on live and can confirm that you will show up even while crouch walking a grade as little as 7 to 10 degrees.

This is completely repeatable, I wish I had video to show but I play on a 4 year old laptop so running PS2 and trying to motion capture is not possible for me.

If Mustarde or Cutebeaver or anyone else wants to capture video let me know and I'll help you.

Hopefully this bug doesn't remain for long... :oops:

SideWinder
    • Up x 1
  2. Baccano

I also placed a copy of this bug to dbgissuetracker.com

If anyone wants to upvote

-SideWinder
  3. CuteBeaver

NP. I can get you some footage to attach to the bug report tomorrow.
  4. CuteBeaver

This appears to be an issue with crouch walking forwards.... I can crouch walk backwards w/o detection.

Currently I am nearly finished on the TEST server for you (Final clip: I am crouch walking on perfectly flat ground for good measure.) Can you double check on LIVE and see if walking backwards remains undetected on slopes.

This is pretty broken (at least on test) and from what it sounds like on live as well.
  5. CuteBeaver

6. Baccano

Yeah if Baracuda or Character gets on today I'll do the backwards crouch walking tests on live to see if they mirror your vid from PTS

Thanks again for the help Cutebeaver as well as to Baracuda and Charactername for helping me test.

-SideWinder
  7. Amouris

Ugh so not only is sensorshield 4 bugged but so are motion spotters & darts?
    Ah well I wanted a new ship in ED anyway.
  8. CuteBeaver

So I spent all night testing SS3 and SS4 on the PTS server. (Which at present is matching lives results regarding these issues)

SS3 and SS4 will cover this bug. They will prevent you from appearing on the map when moving while pushing forwards and crouch walking. SS3 and SS4 will protect you from showing up on pretty much any slope you can traverse while crouched and pushing forwards. So go ahead and use either SS3 or SS4 to continue stalking as you normally would. Just put the mines down and use some medkits until this gets fixed.

If you can't afford to run Sensor Shield implants then continue to crouch walk sideways to avoid detection and just be mindful that forward crouch walking will give you away.

As for Sensor Shield...

Just as "unprotected" forward crouch walking movement on slopes causes the bug... so too does Sprinting with SS4 on slopes. Please keep in mind you cannot "Sprint" or "Run" sideways. That movement becomes strafing which is roughly walking speed. It cancles sprint. You can however sprint and alter your course with the sideways keys. It kinda changes the angle your running. The moment you touch left or right primarily you begin to strafe, speed is lost detection is less likely... Hopefully that makes a little more sense.

The major issue here seems to be mostly related to going up or down slopes on the Z axis. The faster you move the more likely you will trigger detection. Walking forward is not entirely immune to problems, however significantly less likely to cause issues. I should also mention SS4 does allow for you to walk around on the test server within 20 meters of radar and is a flat upgrade in every way. Honestly if it looks like a hill, and your questioning if you should be able to walk up it at 100% speed then your likely going to appear on the mini map unless you move slowly on purpose.

To slow yourself down, walk and ADS which cuts your movement speed down slightly.

ADSing was so helpful in fact... I was able to jump backwards WHILE ADSing and it was enough of a slowing effect to keep SS3 and SS4 from appearing on the mini map while bunny hopping around. I understand mid jump ADSing is "broken" for a split second and returns to hipfire in the middle of the air.... However holding down the key returned me to a slower ADS movement state quickly enough when i landed that it didn't matter and I could avoid detection while "jumping." This is not actually that useful... because its pretty damn hard to jump over obstacles behind you that you cannot actually see. I really don't feel this is going to get abused.

So that is pretty much it.

SS3 and SS4 will work as described on flat ground. Inside a building or in a base that has really smooth floors. ( Tile patterns work fine ) Sensor Sheild won't work as intended in highly sloped areas. Because crouch walking is very slow... you can reliably use SS until a fix happens. If your using SS3 and SS4 for other reasons then you should not sprint on hills. While SS3 and SS4 are not bug free, they will remain helpful as long as you know the limits and potential issues with the Z axis. If you want to be super safe about going over steep hills walk forwards and ADS at the same time.
  9. Biddion

I don't recall when going up or down didn't show up on radar. As far as I know, it's been like this for over a year.
  10. CuteBeaver

The crouch walking being affected in the same fashion is new. I don't fully understand why forward movement in general is so touchy. It could be increased speed... or maybe the variable itself for forward movement is somehow bugged in the equation being used for detection. **shrug**

I honestly could care less if height check was removed entirely from SS. Honestly I'm most worried the Z axis is a requirement for the motion spotter and Recon Detect Device to function... -_-. If thats the case they would have to be creative with math and figure out a happy medium where SS works "most" of the time on varied slopes. I'd hate to be the person in charge of fixing this mess. Honestly not expecting a resolution for SS anytime soon.