Most effective shotgun for slugs?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DarkStarII, May 15, 2016.

1. DarkStarII

Simple question. (Hopefully)
    Which shotgun would be the best one to use with slugs and why?
  2. SW0V

Slugs have the same damage profile no matter the shotgun that you're using. So, the only things you should be taking into account is RoF, recoil and CoF.

Personally, I find the full auto shotguns to be the best with slugs.
  3. DarkStarII

Hmm, yes, I was thinking the same but what makes them effective? Do they have a combination of the things you mentioned or what?
  4. SW0V

Well... they're the only shotguns that shoot full auto... so, with slugs you can use them like a very heavy caliber LMG.
  5. TeknoBug

Slugs are a waste, however they do help Scattermax on NC MAXes considering range, but Gorgons has taken over that role.
  6. Stigma

All slugs perform the same, except I think they hit a little harder on pump-action shotties - but not enough to make them worthwhile.

Therefore you generally want to use your factions full-auto shotgun for slugs since it can fire the fastest and starts to reset it's COF faster between shots.

That said, except in CQC you should never fire slugs full auto. Tap-fire instead. In full auto slugs will go everywhere past the first shot. If you tap-fire you can get fairly good accuracy even while firing fairly fast.

-Stigma
  7. Crayv

Pump action slug do hit a bit harder, hard enough to kill in one hit on a headshot.... If you are close enough.

The auto-shotty was my favorite shotgun to use slugs on (used them to auraxium the thing so I could get the Brawler). Though there are times where normal shot was better (when you round a corner into a group of enemies) but slugs I found to be more useful in nearly every situation. Just remember the bloom is terrible so burst fire is a must.
  8. FeralBoy

That wasn't a shotty question at all... You got some excellent info back didn't you? ;)
  9. Iridar51

While technically true, it doesn't make a practical difference, since players can't monitor their CoF, so it's impossible to time shots perfectly.

But just for the fun of it, let's calculate the extent of the difference in CoF restoration delay due to rate of fire differences.

Full auto: 260 RoF, 0.231 delay
    Semi auto: 225 RoF, 0.267 delay
    Baron: 200 RoF, 0.3 delay

So we're talking about 0.036 seconds difference.

In general, CoF restoration mechanics and time their take aren't worth thinking over, unless we're talking whole degrees when CoF restores from jumping to ADS.

What could make a practical difference is Recoil Decrease, which is a stat that affects how fast the crosshair returns to its original position after recoiling.

Full Auto shotguns have Recoil Decrease of 12, semi autos and Baron have 15. But RoF and recoil magnitude play a part here too.

I've tested how Recoil Decrease affects different shotguns, you can find detailed results and video here, under spoiler "tap firing speed".

Long story short, my measured results were:
    • Full Auto Shotguns and Baron have the same recentering time of ~0.38 seconds.
    • Tight Spread and High Capacity semi auto shotguns have the worst recentering time of ~0.4 seconds.
    So there's no practical difference.
    So I would recommend to use a shotgun with highest velocity.
    That was a lot of words on a topic that doesn't deserve this much attention, though. Slugs are trash and so are shotguns. You shouldn't bother yourself with them, Darkstar. But if you do, you can rest easy knowing there's no real difference on which shotgun to use with slugs. Pick whichever you like more.
  10. FeralBoy

LOL! You are funny. I read, I lived, I learned, I laughed. A treasure trove of firearm knowledge and not afraid to share your personal feelings. :D
    I will never be the virtual encyclopedia of PS2 weapons knowledge that Iridar is. We are lucky to have him share his knowledge but I can readily agree on this for almost any game and any situation:
    A good player will make a supposedly bad weapon or class great. Some people enjoy the challenge of taking something supposedly UP and making it OP.
  11. _itg

It's also worth considering that the Baron has the best moving CoF (0.7 vs. 0.9 for all the others). Still bad, of course, especially since slugs apparently get an additional penalty, but every little bit helps.
    • Up x 1
  12. Liewec123

auto-shotties can be really strong,
    Baron also works pretty well if you can handle the pump action reload :p
  13. Kristan

Baron.
    • Up x 1
  14. Gundem

Sadly they really are the least effective class of weapons in the game.

But true, a good player will perform well with most any weapon class. But the issue is that if you use a weapon that is worse then another, then you only **** your maximum potential for performance.

For example, it took me a whole two years to reach a consistant KDR of 2 with Shotguns.

I was able to reach this in about a month with LMG's. And with the practice I've had with shotguns on a better weapon, like some Carbines or AR's, I bet I could have a KDR in the 4-5 range(Squad participation comes into play, but that's another topic).

But as for specific shotguns for slugs, I'd have to go with your factions high cap shotgun, the Nova for the VS, the Sweeper for the NC and the Haymaker for the TR. This being, because none of the stats that make each shotgun unique carry over either at all or very well for Slugs, like accuracy or RoF, so the primary factor is magazine size. Because slugs are so inaccurate(.9 moving CoF), you'll often put way more rounds then is needed to secure a kill down range, and the larger magazines punish that less.

Behind that slightly is the fast reload shotguns, because while they still need to reload more often, they have the next best thing of reloading really fast once you do run out.

Now, the high-cap shotguns do have a 25m/s slower velocity, but personally I've found that at the ranges you can even semi-consistently hit due to the CoF, your velocity isn't going to have a very significant impact on your ability to make your mark.

As has been said before, PA Slugs is an exercise in futility that will teach you the meaning of suffering faster then a round of The Impossible Game. It is satisfying to get that OHK, but the terrible CoF combined with the extremely low refire rate means your KDR will be tanking rather quickly.

SERIOUSLY, why on Araxius is G-I-M-P a censored word?
  15. Iridar51

*Hip fire penalty. It was my bad for misinformation, at one point I forgot that penalty is applied only to hip fire.
  16. DarkStarII

So what I'm getting from this is that the high capacity and the auto shotguns will be the best option for slugs.

The main reason I've asked this is because aim sick of how short range shotguns are and in my attempt to get the Havoc I'd like something with some range, even if it's "bad".
    Atleast I've come to like the TX2 Emperor from this. :)
  17. TheMightyGomora

I have never tried out slugs myself, but when I used them in the VR, I found them distasteful for myself with pump action shotguns.
  18. Catch23

Full Auto Slugger does have its niche. Only shotgun loadout I have.

It kills nanoweave infantry targets at 8m with three body-shots, if slightly damaged or non-shielded or w/o NW it's two shots (mostly). Heavy shields can make it four shots under ideal circumsdances for the target.

In practical ganeplay it's between 1-4 shots. As others have pointed out, you have to burst. I do 2-3 shot bursts depending on range. At 6 meters bursting becomes obsolet and this is where the full-auto shines.
    At 12ish meters you can ADS strafe. 0.75 speed. always shoot center mass.

If two Light Assaults shoot at eachother at 5 meters at the same time - one is using a semi-auto buckshot and the other one the full-auto with slugs - the latter wins due to ROF unless the buckshot user has NW.

So why, when and how to use it?

Actually shotguns are terrible. With each kill you compromise your positioning a bit more. Eventually you die because of this. Moreover, shotties have alot of RNG in their COF.

Slug-guns give you the chance to retain a pretty ok level of range while they are more devasting at buckshot range than SMGs and CQC carbines, because they have huge alpha.

Only hipfire at close range. Always ads if you want to use it like a super hard hitting LMG. Try to stand still while you are doing so. Basically like a sniper rifle. Stutter stepping is key to ads-accuracy with shotguns and minimizing their COF-RNG.

When to use it: when enemies bring shotguns, your CQC Carbine/SMG just won't do and you want to stay as versatile as possible. Towers really.
    Although viable beyond this setting I recommend using carbines/ smgs for cqc in general. Makes you a better player over time and kills on average faster.
    • Up x 1
  19. Gundem

Eh... Hate to break it to ya, but slugs don't really give shotguns range, per say.

If they were accurate, then I'd say yes. But their CoF makes landing consistent shots out to 20 meters so bad that you'd be better off using a sidearm at that range anyway, like the Commish.

Then again, with good aim I consider slugs to be an upgrade in CQC anyway since you can at least partially control where your shots go... But for anyone without god-like aim, slugs are going to be a lot harder in CQC, and only give you a meager benefit at slightly beyond normal buckshot range.

Just one of the many reasons that shotguns in PS2 range between mediocre at best(Semi-slugs) and downright awful at worst(2nd Gen PA slugs). If you are looking for effective, shotguns is not the place to be.

They combine the razor edge of balance of firepower and need for accuracy, with hyper randomness that ensures you will never be accurate enough to utilize it at close range. And then, to add insult to injury, Mid-CQC range guns can get even faster TTK then a shotgun by getting headshots(See: Cyclone Headshot ttk).

Totes should add this to the shotgun section Iridar ;)
  20. thed1rt

I dont use shotguns much. And slugs seem pretty useless.

But I guess they can 1 shot headshot kill from medium distance. So you want something that is accurate and doesnt bullet drop alot? I suck **** at sniping with shotgun slugs but supposedly some people are really good at it.

So far best use for slugs is against low flying ESF's that are trying to man-hunt me. 10 slugs into an esf's belly as you juke does a bit of dammage to it.

although a heavys machine gun would probably be better.

Shotgun slugs seem to work better against Infantry/Vehicle terminals, Harrassers, Flashes, and low flying ESF. I cant kill infantry with um AT ALL. Or if you do it feels lucky.