[Suggestion] More ambient sounds (gun fire)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpcFarlen, Jun 24, 2013.

1. SpcFarlen

Im not sure of many people noticed this yet but the Terran Republic's new Vulcan and Mini-Chain Gun have a slightly different sound at longer ranges and it really made me think, how come we dont hear distant battles or gunfire?

On the map we already see large battles happening if you have it enables in the filters, the pings of faction color here and there. So why now also make larger battles be heard in adjacent areas? Say for instance you are walking south from Vanu Archives and hear a battle taking place and Xenotech Labs. Could jsut be a generic generate sound like that of a few far off TR and Vanu weapons going off, so it doesnt hurt performance by trying to render player made sounds there.

Sure its not a huge deal, but i think it would bring some immersion to the game. It could also help players more accurately determine where enemies and friendlies are since in the distance they could hear the feint pops of gunfire rather than opening up the map, looking at enemy/friendly activity then having to judge where to go from there. Just follow the sound.

I really love mechanics that add to the whole experience, that really frame you in the world you are playing in. I want Auraxis to feel like a warzone even if im not in the thick of the fighting and this could be a way of doing it.
  2. TheRealMetalstorm

the software mixer will not have enough time to correctly render an accurate soundstage.
    and i don't have any desire to increase the cpu load for PS2, it's already stupidly high.

As for the technology, it's been here since Halo 3 (and that game did it quite well)

with ~300-400 (or more sometimes) players in your average primetime amp station battle, i have no idea how you are going to correctly mix the entire soundstage within the 15ms limit...
    • vehicle idle sounds... maybe 5 or so
    • aircraft flying overhead... maybe ~10 at a time
    • explosions... tons, and often, and very, very important - very sharp attack and easily distorts if not processed quickly
    • max weaponry... easily 10 at any given time if you want to hear them as ambient sounds
    • infantry fire... easily more than 50 people firing at the same time within the hex
    • ambient effects like pads, lifts, shields... i wouldn't even bother about these
    • generators... same, won't bother
    • sound alerts... has to have max priority in soundstage
    • bullet impacts... i don't even want to imagine