Missing a target and hitting the wall creates light??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Talizzar, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Talizzar

This makes the wall light up in a huge yellow round bloom? Seriously? Since when did bullets hitting a wall create light?

More stuff for the servers to render, ie more lag. I wonder if these guys even thing about this stuff.

Shoot a wall with a NV scope and it becomes useless with all the light spam.
  2. FateJH

3. Jestunhi

I'm pretty sure I've had bullet sparks, and the associated lighting effects, for months...
    • Up x 1
  4. Iksniljiksul

CLIENT to render. Clients render and send input. Servers store information and are supposed to do all of the calculations. At least in a real online game they do.
  5. FateJH

It's much more powerful if the client can render and run calculations, and all the other connected clients just have to be told "this is what happened." Distributed computing. Much more exploitable, yes, but doing it the other way can only kill any simulation over a certain load. Granted that doesn't mean the client should be allowed (or required) to do everything with impunity but the server load would be immense and lag would be even greater if the server were completely relied upon. Even in this unoptimized situation in which we persist, lag is more player-centric than server-centric.
  6. Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh

This is the future, Dip****.
  7. BoogieHegdehog

I think he means the Burster Max, which on high graphics lights everything it shoots at up like a firework. Really drops the FPS when you have multiple Maxes firing at the floor with Bursters.
  8. JohnnyMaverik

Which they all do on all servers at all warpgates... luckily I'm on low settings so I was just like... o_O... well ok then. Didn't realise they were troll maxes... just thought they were all feeding some Engi ammo resupply certs and for w/e reason descided to do it as an AA max :p
  9. KAHR-Alpha

You should see what it looks like now when burster MAXes miss and hit a wall, it's a giant ball of light that appears with large red laser beams that go through walls.
  10. ABATTLEDONKEY

Ive actually had bullets spark many times on me. Well it isnt really sparking as much as hot metal fragment. when shooting at a mild steel plate with a rifle round (assuming theres some "umph") the lead will actually displace quite a bit of steel. the ensueing action creates a TON of heat which dissipates into the displaced metal. the result is small, thin pieces of metal what are actually white hot, and will look like sparks. Im not sure what happens to other metals, but i know that SS and mild steel will in fact create spark like effects when shot by a fast projectile.

granted, it is NOTHING like the game, and of course is so small that i only first saw it when shooting at dusk, to the effect was very obvious. most of the time, the metal cools off so fast the human eye cannot see it.
  11. Dtswiss

12. KAHR-Alpha

PS2 now comes with Disco effects.
    • Up x 1
  13. GamerOS

Important rule of bullets in Fiction:

• In the world of fiction, when bullets hit a surface, they ricochet with sparks. When such bullets hit a container of anything remotely like gasoline, this has predictable results.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BulletSparks

Ofcourse what's happening currently is over the top even for a video game.
  14. MrLee.NO

• Up x 1