MinecraftSide 2 | PlanetCraft 2 | Death of a Game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OgreMarkX, May 25, 2017.

1. OgreMarkX

Hives are crap.

Base bldg is good.

DBG's game design where mining cortium and minecrafting continent locks by Hives is crap. Pure crap.

The very idea of Hives COUNTERS the reason we fight. It kills good fights, it removes focus from the core gameplay.

How many times have you been in a great MMOFPS fight (ya remember, this is supposed to be an "MMO" "FPS" not a turtle and minecraft game --- and BOOM, a faction locks a continent and everything goes poof. Them people log, fights take a long time restart and the same bad game design ruins things again?

I get that base bldg can = cash for DBG and that is a good thing.

But why implement it in a way to COUNTER the reason people play?

I've started building forward bases to support the front line,s to create good fights...what I "should" be doing is turtling a HIVE BASE as far from likely combat as possible and minecrafting my way to victory.

Every load of Cortium I mine makes me think "I just contributing to SHORTENING the fight, to ruining the fight, to causing a lock with all these great fights in progress.

Bad design. Bad design.

Make Hives contribute in other ways, not directly to VP.

Oh and no..more NS weapons is NOT the answer. Ya can ya uhh maybe get out of that rut? Mkay?

Oh and PS from TR. The TRAP is still CRAP.

<shakes a cane>
    • Up x 5
  2. FateJH

In general people time their logging with big gameplay events. Taking specific bases. The end of Alerts. The locking of continents. The implication of transferral to a continent the player does not find agreeable.

And stop relating it to Minecraft. It's not anything like Minecraft. At least, come up with a comparison more suitable to the style of the construction system.
  3. Pat22

...you DO realize that there are several other ways to cap a continent, right?
    Let's put it into context;
    You're in the middle of a great MMOFPS fight and BOOM, the continent is locked because a faction linked to another faction's warpgate and got the final VP // a faction just captured a territory which was enough to get them their next VP for territory control // a faction just captured a main facility giving them VPs for control of biolabs / techplants / amp stations // a faction won an alert and won 5 VPs
    There is literally nothing you can do in the game that earns you XP that doesn't also contribute to shortening the fight in the grand scheme of things.

In the end, you really just don't like continent locking and you're blaming it on HIVEs for no apparent reason.
    With or without HIVEs, the continent will lock, and someone somewhere is having a good fight and it will be interrupted.
  4. PYROxSYCO

Is this 4chan?
    • Up x 2
  5. Campagne

They both suck.
  6. OgreMarkX

No. In the end, I do not like game design that counters the game's core focus. The more you mine, the more you HiveCraftSide, the less you get to USE the build/ANT/Cortium features.

The Build/Ant/Cortium features should SUPPORT core game play, not detract from it.

Hives are built FAR from combat, along edges....it's crap design.

Everything in a game should SUPPORT the game, not detract from it.

The problem with DNG in general (we can see this in H1Z1, defunct EQN, countless others, is that they have a hard time defining and then staying true to, CORE game focus.

Then it become last minute required focus on cash grabs. Cash is good. Profit is GOOD. But HIVES in PS2, are BAD.
  7. OgreMarkX

The Build/Ant/Cortium features should SUPPORT core game play, not detract from it.

Hives are built FAR from combat, along edges....it's crap design.

Everything in a game should SUPPORT the game, not detract from it.

The problem with DBG in general (we can see this in H1Z1, defunct EQN, countless others) is that they have a hard time defining and then staying true to, CORE game focus.

Then it becomes last minute required focus on cash grabs. Cash is good. Profit is GOOD. But HIVES in PS2, are BAD.

Refocus from map changes and NS weapons (aka TR weapons, usually better, so what the hell why fix Butcher or Trap)...and refocus on:

• How do we get big battles, where players can contribute in many ways, going and sustained?
    Hint: It isnt to play Merry-Go-Round Lock Continents by HiveCraftSide 2/
  8. velie12

Well I agree that the VP generators don't really make sense and have nothing to do with the rest of the game. Currently a few players build bases and then alot of other players have to destroy it to prevent the continent from locking, while most of them would enjoy normal fights more.

I think the orbital strike bases are fine though
  9. Kcalehc

What I feel they should have done, is incorporate base building into existing bases.

Cortium and ANTs as they are now, remove many/all turrets walls and other defenses from some bases - add a silo. On Hossin, I'd even go so far as to take the current 'construction sites' and make them nothing but a flat open square with a cap point in the middle (and some underground tunnels with stairs up), and allow you to build your own base on top of it.

Want an AT turret at a base, build one. Want your generators to work, put cortium in the silo. Want some walls/shields, build em power em. Even have an SCU module that reduces spawn time, only if powered. Locations for things are largely fixed, walls, turrets, but are empty till you have enough cortium and someone goes to a console and tells it to build. Can still have autorepair modules and AI modules (etc) being on the current system of placeable items.

This allows defenders to dig in, and attackers to besiege them - running an ANT or two through the besiegers to resupply becomes a thing. All the items being destroyable of course - and built items would fit together much better.
    • Up x 3
  10. RockPlanetSide2

None of this matters. The population that is left during prime time, only about 10% is even concerned with winning alerts or building anything. STOP FOOLING YOURSELF.

With population as low as it is even on Emerald... most people are just logging in to find 1 or 2 good fights then they leave for the night. They don't care about your base, or continent lock, or any of that crap.

None of this stupid crap matters.

Just log in and shoot, that is the only thing left in the game. PERIOD. It is fun to do that, if you are looking for anything else from PS2 at this time, you are just a fool.

But, thank god the DEVS have time to skin/code Sigma HARD LIGHT ARMOR!
  11. PanzerGoddess

lol well at least we all get to have an opinion :p, the forums exist so a few players can tell us how it really is lol :D
  12. DeadlyOmen

Can't hives be destroyed? if one doesn't like the other side locking a continent via hives, perhaps they should form a team and destroy the enemy's hives.

The OP has a lot of gripes in it. One might suspect that there is a bigger problem than PS2 gameplay.
  13. Twitch760

I absolutely love this idea man. Take some pre-constructed bases that exist now and turn them into just an open space where you can build either an Orbital Strike or a Hive. They are treated just like ordinary bases with respect to lattice lines.
  14. Morpholine

Some people need to stick to 24/7 2Fort servers, since they never want to see a map change.

They're here playing as if PS2 is a lobby shooter without a lobby, and anything that alters that experience is "killing the game".
    • Up x 1
  15. Vamperial

I really don't think that is fair. His basic gripe is with the way cortium mining allows continents to lock and ruin good fights. While I disagree with removing PMB I think changes can be made.

Lets take Connery for example. VS, during prime time, has 40% world pop. They hold the lower half of Amerish. Alert starts. As the alert goes on VS create 5 bases located in hard to reach areas 2 hexes behind their lines. They basically have 3 PMBs surrounding their warp gate making an assault on them extremely hard while defending very easy. Meanwhile, NC and TR are both attacking VS on their borders while at the same time trading bases in the north between each other. Two hours later, TR end up winning the alert by 36% to 34% but in doing that, instead of destroying the PMBs, the VS have 17 points while TR have 15 after winning the alert. The TR technically have more territory but the VS lock the continent down 10 minutes later because the PMBs are mining at a huge rate. In a game originally about domination and territory control, how does that make sense?

Any attempt on these bases was futile. Built deep within their own territory it's much easier for the defenders to break even a platoon attacking force because there is no place for the attackers to retreat too. There is no where close to regroup and it's already hard to get 40 people to drive for 10 minutes across a continent just to get blown up in 2 minutes of battle.

I don't want to remove PMB as I think they are a good edition to the game but the players are obviously exploiting a game mechanic that allows them cheesy wins and that takes away from players fighting elsewhere. This ruins the game for a lot of players. If Planetside 2 had less 3 ways and more 1v1 then this wouldn't be as big an issue as it is. If cortium could only be mined on Hexes that touched an enemy border, PMBs would be much more visible to the larger player base. This would make mining cortium a lot more risky, could introduce some good battles, and would minimize the perceived cheesiness of PMBs.
    • Up x 1
  16. Cyropaedia

VS Connery are masters of base building. Ironically, VS Connery also happens to kill a lot of bases (seems like more players are devoted to killing Hives on VS). The times when VS Connery is hung up is when TR or NC actually devote substantial resources to defend their Hive bases (difficult with pop/lack of coordination). Perhaps, a slight reduction in VP generation speed and less "no deploy" zones would make base-building more entertaining/useful for the combat-minded?

Edit: One of my best experiences on Planetside 2 in a long time was when TR's [BURT] built a mega 100% Hive base at Ceres Hydroponics defended by 96+ TR while VS attacked with two converging 96+ zergs (1 zerg from J908, another zerg from Briggs) on a Saturday night. I had to sacrificed a dozen Scythes to knock out their repair mods.
  17. OgreMarkX

To clarify and to keep the discussion on target:

1. I like Player Made Bases (PMBs).
    2. I like the idea of mining cortium as a supply material
    3. I like the idea of buying base items via cash or certs
    4. I like the change it all brings.
    5. I DESPISE hives and VP generation.

#5 is the reason why DBG missed the mark on PMB's. They don't realize it.

How many times have you been in game, or heard other players say:

"Hey guys, let's get an armor column..."
    or
    "Hey guys, let's attack..."
    or
    "Hey guys, base X needs defense, let's get there..."
    or
    "Hey guys, let's build a forward base to defend our flank or get a fight started..."

Only to realize....

"Oh. Nevermind, continent is locking AGAIN because faction X once again VP'd by Minecraft. So forget all of the above."

Ya.

VP's by Hive and Cortium...NEEDS. TO. GO.

Mark my words.

Coca Cola executive: "Hey GAIS! Great idea here..and we're doing it no matter what! NEW COKE! Ya! We're removing the very reason people buy our product cause AGILE PROJECT MGMT/MASTERS DEGREE/MARKETING GURU SEMINAR!"
    • Up x 1
  18. Cyropaedia

Here are some ideas (some or all can be implemented):

-Cut 7 Hive bonus from 3 VPs to 2 VPs

-Cut Empire with the Most Hive bonus from 2 VPs to 1 VPs.

-Throttle down overall VP generation speed by 10-20%.

-Force neutral cores to stay inactive for 30-60 minutes.

-Open up more construction areas/Less no-deploy zones

-More map options for bases (request assistance markers, labeling for empire)
    • Up x 1
  19. LetMeBeClear

Wow, what a salty vag. There's still plenty of fights that aren't base building or hive related. Perhaps you should just learn how to kill hives and contribute more to countering VP, instead of being a whiny beeech.
  20. BadCoding