[Suggestion] Medkits should not be able to heal while being hit

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NCstandsforNukaCola, Jul 29, 2015.

1. NCstandsforNukaCola

I suppose SOE/DBG didn't design the medkits to endure enemy's gunfire.
    Instead, if there is instruction on medkits grip, It might be like this,

Nanite Systems Medkit
    - Instruction(How to use)
    1. Before use the kit, check if your personal shield is broken and where is wounded by hit.
    2. Take cover or make sure you are not in battle.
    3. Stab slightly on your wound with medkit's tip

The point is medkits are supposed to used outside of the combat NOT inside of the combat.
    So to make the purpose more properly, I suggest medkit which is activated should stop once hit.
    This would make medkit's purpose clear and prevent medkit dancing.
    • Up x 2
  2. UberNoob1337101

100% Agreed with you OP.

I fight against opponents that use them and use them myself sometimes and the amount of s#!t you can survive by spamming them is silly.

They were broken since the game released, but their use and abuse increased tenfold since the last year.

Edit:
    I approve of Demigan's post too, if they just gave them a cooldown of 5 seconds or so and reversed the miracle code (that if you pop a med-kit you regenerate all your health no matter what instead of regenerating flat 500 HP) it would be enough, but this is sufficient too.
    • Up x 1
  3. Demigan

The problem isn't with medkits, it's with ADAD spam. Using medkits during a battle is nothing wrong with, and offers some tactical consideration when using it just before a battle for some regeneration during. The fact that you can combine this with ADAD that causes warping of the character model and use that to avoid enough damage and survive an entire magazine is the problem.

Just try this: get your shield up and stand still while popping medkits. See if you survive. Do this a time of 20 and tally the amount of survives.
    Now you do the same and you strafe a bit, not a lot, just a bit and tally it again. You had an actual survival rate this time? Won't be much though.
    Now try this: use ADAD spam without medkits. Suddenly your survivability rises through the roof! Hey! Medkits aren't the reason people survive, it's ADAD spam! Medkits just help the problem along!

Edit:
    Changing medkits to combat this is an option, but it wont prevent the actual underlying problem. But if we are changing medkits, I would rather just ram a cooldown of a few seconds in, that works just as well and leaves the option to use it just before/mid combat.
    • Up x 1
  4. ColonelChingles

I think with vehicles NAR stops when you are hit by enemy fire. Infantry healing items should probably work in the same way.

That and neither item should ever heal you to 100%... this means that you should try to keep your Medics alive!

And I'm not just saying that because my favourite class is Medic. >_<
  5. Pelojian

I say put a cooldown on medkit and resto kits (shared) change medkits so it has a casting time where you are regened health in chunks as you are using the kit. if you move, take damage or swap to a weapon during while the healing process is underway the healing stops. Make resto kits have a short casting time after which you can move and still be healed.

Resto kits become a pre-emptive combat boost and medkits become a cover and heal kit (rely on allies to not get attacked).

no mroe AD spam medkit bunny hoppers attacking you when you are reloading after trying to pump them full of lead.

That's a good idea.
  6. Eternaloptimist

I ahve no objection to any of these suggestions but do remember that people who carry medkits are making a trade off between survivability and lethality as they giving up the chance to carry some whizzbang explosive devices
  7. Jubikus

its usually heavy assaults that abuse the medkits and its usually for when they get caught with their pants down they can excape with their life when by no means they should have an out for poor positioning/overextending and yeah they do give up C4 but they have a rocket launcher so are they really missing out on much?
  8. Stormsinger

I don't feel strongly either way in this particular debate, although the tradeoff is significant, even with a rocket launcher. 2x C4 is an insta kill vs a tank - 2x C4 + a rocket is an insta kill vs a non armor / shield sundy - Either way, approaching unseen means a guaranteed kill, as opposed to a prolonged engagement with a launcher.

I don't think that damage should interrupt the heal affect, but I do think that the heal should be a set amount, enough to restore a HA to full health, nor should it stack with itself. (The Wiki claims that the resto kit provides regeneration over 6 seconds) Using another shouldn't tack on another +6 seconds, or increase the rate of healing, but rather refresh the initial affect. (For example: Use a resto kit, then use another 3 seconds later, all you do is reset the heal-over-time effect, for a total of 9 seconds of heals)

All infantry classes have 500 health (Or so the wiki claims) So, the way that Resto kits should work, is 6 seconds of roughly 83 hp of healing per second, that's only enough to counter one round from a low-damage-tier SMG at max-damage degradation range per second. This still seems useful for recovery while escaping, or between engagements... but certainly not enough to counter most rapid-fire guns spitting ~143 damage rounds at 10+ rounds a second.
  9. Jubikus

Honestly regarding the subject i have no issue with how resto kits work if anything they need a buff they heal a set amount over time where the medkits heal you to 100% and give you a small invulnerability period.

I believe when the devs made the 2 they made resto kits the option a player would want to take if they wanted to be prepared to hit it and if an enemy appeared they would get a bit of healing during the fight it heals a set amount over time.

Then i believe the intended purpose of the medkit was to be the run and gun option somone who is constantly moving taking a bunch of damage from fight to fight tosses this in between for an instant full health no waiting just hit it pull out your gun and continue.

The problem comes in the ability for the medkit to be spammed as an escape mechanic (usually withe the heavy assault class) which tho not the most amazing thing it does give you some freedoms i dont believe people should have like bad positioning/overextending this applys in many ways like going into buildings without recon and when everyone unloads you shield medkit spam get out. Another example ( and the reason im biased against them) would be the heavy assault that breaks off from his team the guy out by himself this is the guy who becomes the target of ambush classes (light assault smg infil). Now this guys gets caught with his pants completely down from behind and many times wins the exchange. Why? because of reload the tactic theese guys have adapted is to hit shield spam medkit and do the "dance" random movements left right up down all over the place this causes the person that ambushed you to miss enough shots ( i know "get gud" but lets be honest unless your a mind reader adjusting every time he makes a movement change is damn near impossible your going to miss shots) that he doesnt die the overshield gives him enough time to get the kit out and start spamming it each kit will buy time in the form of the health effect having to get him to full before it stops working and the small invulnerability period and then based on the amount of time that has passed he will swap to his lmg this is usually after the second or third hit of the kit while your emptying the last few bullets in your smg (dont actually want to wait till they are out of ammo you hit the kit then swap so that kit tanks some of the damage of the last of their bullets and buys you swap time) and he shoots back while you are swapping weapons and kills you.

Now is this game breaking well no i only ever see BR100 that are skilled enough in timing this trait to actually use it in combat to kill someone that ambushed them most people usually just use it to get out of bad spots.

However when i play ambush classes like SMG infil i already feel at a disadvantage baseline that can be made up for with good positioning and ambushing and target picking as the cloak isnt too effective in close ranges and i have 100 less shield than other classes and when you do everything right you find that guy out by himself your cloaked and you get right up behind him and you uncloak and go to take him out and then you get gibbed because he medkit tank danced to survive then kills you its just a really crappy feeling to know that you did everything spot on and got screwed anyways.

Now as to the taking it over C4 i never really considered this an issue (at least on heavy) as long as you can have different loadouts you simply use medkits whenever there isnt armor you have a rocket launcher for maxes plus alot of times even when there is armor a heavy assault cant get close enough to even make much use of it and is usually just left to the light assaults.

(remember people this is just a point of view your mileage may vary)
  10. Stormsinger

I agree with most of your statements here, for the most part - although I think that anyone good enough to use a medkit in this fashion deserves the kill. (My own opinion, I don't often bring along anything other then C4) - although I can see the irritation factor involved. Personally, I think that medkits should work instantly, "Boom, full health!" Swapping to it should take 1-2 seconds, use should activate instantly, swapping to a weapon post-use should take another 1-2 seconds. (Granted, I haven't used one for so long, I don't actually know how long this currently takes, thought it took a second or so to swap / use as it is.)

I wouldn't be opposed to adding a delay before the healing takes effect, perhaps only allow it to actually heal once shield-recharge starts. If shields are full, heal instantly.

Another fairly good option would be add a few limiters to the current Medkit (cooldown period, no use while in combat, etc), then add a "Combat medkit" that behaves like the current version, but costs significantly more resources.

Just a few random ideas - again, I have no issue with how they currently are, nor any complaints about adding cooldowns / limiting combat use, etc.

Also, random idea - allow other classes to cert into healing nanite grenades - I haven't actually seen a medic toss one since a year or so ago. (That medic was me, haven't seen another player use one at all, that I can recall :p ) Being able to toss one in a medic-starved fight as any other class would be awesome.
  11. Jubikus

Some decent idea another one i would like to toss out is just to make it heal a flat amount it says heal you to 100% so why not just make that a flat 500 health the problem i have with it isnt that it heals while getting shot its that it activates a small invulerability and heals for more than 500 health because as long as you bar doesnt hit 0% or 100% it just keeps chunking at your health and i do believe this is do to it not truly being instant do to server side/latency issues.
  12. Stormsinger

Yeah, I'd call that part of it a bug, which should really be fixed. They are supposed to restore "a portion of your health instantly", anything more seems as though it's entirely unintended.
  13. Jubikus

yeah i honestly dont think i would have an issue if they just worked properly