Medics still suck in several ways.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Frostiken, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Zotamedu

AOE heal is awesome because it's AOE and you can still have your primary gun up and you can still be shooting enemies while you heal friendlies. The AOE heal and the medic gun are two completely different things. If you try to use them the same way, then you are doing it wrong.

Healing grenade is not very useful but I don't really think it's a problem.

The medics are awesome. It seems OP is doing them all wrong.
  2. Frostiken

Yeah, I'm going to AOE heal all of the ONE guy who needs healing in the area. While draining all my energy and having to wait an eternity before I can do it again.

Did you actually read any of my rationale or did you just feel compelled to hammer out your opinion after skimming three sentences? Players are far more likely to be killed outright than to be just wounded, or they're only lightly wounded enough to have a shield damaged. Either way, everyone will need more shields before they need more health, so the shield recharger is a far better choice XP-wise.

A shield beacon will recharge the shields of everyone in an area, lasts forever, and I can drop it and forget it and replace it as-needed. People in any fight are going to be hit by light AOE damage, a stray bullet, whatever, and the shield beacon will work on all of them.

The AOE heal has a lengthy cooldown, only affects wounded friendlies, doesn't reward any XP half the time, heals extremely slowly, and everyone can carry a pile of personal medkits anyway so what's the point? Oh, am I missing out on the great 'feature' of it where I see a medic has it turned on so I run over to bask in his healing powers, only for him to run out of energy and have barely healed me at all, at which point he STILL HAS TO PULL THE MEDGUN OUT AND USE IT?

Reviving dead teammates will ALWAYS be more important than healing people as well.

It's horrible. It's pointless. The only reason to carry it is if you're a bad medic, plain and simple.

Not to mention the shield recharger also has a visual obscuring component.
  3. SiosDashcR

4. Axehilt

1. Yes, heal grenades are a bad design and likely will never be worth using.
    2. AOE heal feels plenty viable compared with the shield (which heals even slower and requires you to stop shooting to put down a deployable.) The XP isn't great, but should hopefully just be balanced with typical heal XP. I imagine it might already be that way.
    3. The Shield Recharge is like engineer turrets: it should feel meaningful to destroy it, but currently doesn't. The solution I posted months ago was:
      • By default, a long cooldown (~2 mins) exists on Shield Recharger and Engy Turret placement.
      • But once deployed these objects can be reclaimed, which immediately clears the cooldown.
      • This allows these objects to be very mobile (which is important for both due to the mobile nature of the game) but also makes their destruction meaningful.
    4. Healing has to be pretty slow by nature of how healing is balanced in games. Revives should be better balanced (although my own suggestion would make most revives instant, actually)
      • Medics respawn with 5 revive charges.
      • With a charge, revives are instant (and consume a charge.)
      • Without a charge, revives are 6 very long seconds.
      • Reviving MAXes always takes a bit longer.
      • One revive charge accumulates every 45 seconds.
      • This means you still get a brief period of great revives, but medics cannot chain-revive forever if the enemy force is scoring a high rate of kills against them. So eventually they'll wear down if they're not efficient. (Obviously the exact numbers would be tweaked, with the charge cap and recharge rate being the main things.)
    5. It just functionally works better for only Actual Revives to provide XP (not the act of giving them the option to revive.) Most revives are accepted anyway.
    6. Alternate utility slot items for medics would be great. More concussion effects would NOT be great. The fewer stuns in a PVP game, the better. It's fine to disable part of a player's capabilities (if EMP worked better) but to very nearly turn off a player's ability to respond (concussion) is too close to a full stun and doesn't make for good gameplay.
  5. Frostiken

6. SiosDashcR

Actually all I do on my Engineer is drive Sunderers, but nice try.

Lol, trust me - You don't get the SPM I do by just being an Engineer in a Biolab. I know that for a fact.
  7. SiosDashcR

If you want a more "reliable" source to see what I actually do:

http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/NotGray

You can view the KDR/Accuracy per guns there. My headshot ratio for my Cycler TRV is apparently above average.
  8. Noppa

And there my most biggest exp/hour has come with medic in Biolab fight, 240k+/h .. So i would say it is just fine!

- You get more easy exp with the revive than on killing, if you manage to combine both it is GG for you.

- About the AOE heal, me personally use it like a HA shield, it gives you few extra bullets to survive on a fire fight + medic has few pretty damn good weapons what he can use!

- Healing nade is good, if used right on a push to some room so it has a tactical use.

- Shield well, i ques it is all right, but i rather use the AOE heal!

- Healing gun, it is okay.. if they buff it it will come OP as hell and in a long run healing gun gives u as much EXP than Engineer repair tool since it doesn't have a CD(burn in time or what ever) and most likely you got a lot of targets next to you that you can heal if you so choose!
  9. Noktaj

This (aaaww those 'ol good RTCW days... :rolleyes:)

That's all the medic needs.
    The rest is fine unless you want to see Medicside 2 with everybody playing medic and assaulting a base would look like assaulting an hospital.

I'm saying this as a guy who ALWAYS play medic in any game since the 90's.
  10. Danath

About healing tool being slow... Have you tried using the AOE and the tool? Is pretty much as fast as reviving.
  11. Icedude94

1) I also don't find too many situations where a heal grenade is useful other than when you don't have AOE heal.
    2) AOE heal is very useful if you and everyone in your squad is running maxed nanoweave.
    3)The shield regenerator is great for defense. Maxed out the radius can cover the entire point room. It's very good for keeping engineers on turrets alive. It's also redeployed everytime the squad moves. You can set up a good base of fire with that so your squad doesn't have to spend as long hiding in cover waiting for shields to recharge.
    4)Heal gun rate is fine. It's extremely fast when you stack it with your AOE heal. The reason why it works a bit slower is because organized squads would exploit it if the rate was very fast. Imagine a HA with max nanoweave and resist shield being supported by 3 medics with max medgun and AOE heal.
    5)I don't support any behavior that encourages suicidal medics who hurt their team. If standing up is going to get me killed, I'd rather not be revived than to stand up and have my spawn timer reset. That's the whole reason why we have a choice to accept a revive. Plus that kind of behavior means that there won't be a medic around for people who can be safely revived.
    6)I don't know any medics who don't use C4 in their utility slot. It's the only anti-vehicle defense and anti-max weapon we have and it's very effective.
  12. Codex561

Lets do some math shall we?
    With nanoweave max rank the incoming damage gets reduced by 25% while AOE heal does not use any multipliers as it used to but instead just increases the health by 50 every second. The 25% resistance can be perceived as 1250hp Which can take 2 shots and if all bullets land, 3 shots with AOE heal.
    But since players are not that accurate (average accuracy of 30%) you will have somewhat 2-3 seconds to regen so you can absorbe 4 shots.

HA shields have 400hp (or is it 500?) and most weapons do 149 dmg. It can absorb 3 more.

Now you are more tanky than HAs.
  13. Riku

Hi,

I said I wasn't with him on his particular idea, and named reasons for it.
    I do agree that it should be changed in some way to make it more rewarding/effective.
    I do use shield regen max rank since the day it got introduced and know how awesome it is. :)

R.
  14. Gisgo

Who cares about healing nades, buff Triage!
  15. DK22

*sigh* Engineers get no respect...
  16. Phyr

Rezing is not faster, since you wont have a shield when you rez.
  17. Scr1nRusher

they are the second most played class.

the medic is the most played class overall.
  18. Frostiken

I honestly forgot Triage was even a thing, lol.
  19. Frostiken

In my experience the shield recharges pretty much right after you're rezzed. I assume the countdown for the shield to recharge expires while you're dead so when you come back to life it's ready to go.
  20. Captain Kid

Shield regen tool?

So the invisibility shield I see placed around the battlefield actually heals as well?