Medics, heal after reviving!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Codex561, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Codex561

2. Silvermyst

There are lots of reasons to revive before healing, here are some:

1. If I revive somebody, they aren't necessarily going to accept the revive request. If I stick around to find out, I might wait long enough that I could have easily revived another ally.

2. Player's I've revived might be AFK or not paying close attention (they could be looking at the map coordinating with their squad mates, for example), so their acceptance might be 6-8 seconds away. In that time I could probably have revived another ally.

3. Revives have a 30 second countdown until you can't do it. Healing up an ally before going on to a second revive can easily mean that the second ally will have to respawn somewhere else rather than getting revived.

4. If you revive someone, it'll take them a few seconds to get their shields back, get their bearings sorted out, etc. so healing them up right away won't help an awful lot more than letting them sit for 5 seconds.

5. If you die after a revive that doesn't have a real negative effect on the game. If fact, it doesn't even affect your stats, if you care about that sort of thing. But it still has a positive effect: Your revive counter gets reset back to 30 seconds, meaning I maximize the number of allies that I can keep alive.

So suffice to say, I'll keep prioritizing reviving over healing in most situations. But that doesn't mean all situations. There are some exceptions:

1. If the other potential revive candidate is out in the open, I'll heal you before running out there, as I might not be coming back due to taking a sniper/rocket launcher/MBT round to the face while I'm reviving.

2. If the next potential revive candidate is more than 30-40 metres away I'll heal you first. I likely won't get to him by the time he respawns or his timer runs out, and either way, you do need some of my attention to get back in the fight.

3. There's another medic close by. In this case, I'll do what the other medic isn't doing. If he/she's running around reviving, I'll heal those he's leaving behind. If he's primarily sitting in one spot healing any ally who comes to him, then I'll run around and revive people.

4. Revive grenades. If there's a number of revive candidates I can always drop one, then just focus on healing, rather than going from person to person.

Overall, I'd say take it easy on medics. Unless the particular outfit you're playing with has a specific outline of how medics are supposed to act, they're free to do it any way they wish. And they're usually trying to make decisions on the spot with a number of options that will benefit their team. A "dead" player just wants a revive and is usually only paying attention to themselves, a hurt player usually acts just the same. Let the medics do their own triage and set their own priorities, and wait your turn. In my experience medics don't usually show favoritism (such as giving their full attention to squadmates, BR100's etc. while ignoring "noobs") and just try to help whomever they can.

Finally: Better to have a player making poor healing/reviving decisions with a level 1 applicator than to have nobody healing and reviving. Just be happy somebody did something for you.
  3. Klypto

I sometimes forget when I'm on my alts.
  4. Frostiken

That, and honestly I'm shocked at how few medics there usually are. Sometimes you get a ton, but for the most part it seems like there's only one medic for every six players.

Then again it's probably because most people are EZ-moding it up with HA.
  5. Mekeji

I alternate between medic for general play and HA for air and tank wars.

I have also noticed a lack of medics even though they are the best class in the game.

However I once had me and another medic pinned down behind cover. We both kept dying but the enemy could only kill one of us and every time of us died the other revived. We didn't coordinate it at all and about 30 kills (my count) later a squad of 14 HA's ran in all firing rockets to kill two people.

Funny thing is they blew each other up as well.

We killed so many of their guys and the whole time they were fighting us a sundy on the other side of the base had spawned a small army that took the base. They probably thought they were being attacked from two sides but in reality they were afraid of two medics.
    • Up x 1
  6. AverageGuy

Just be grateful that they revive you, *********.

Just for the record, I have a level 4 medic tool and even though I don't use the Medic class that often, when I revive my teammates I'll always press 'F'.

One more thing, as long as they revive me, I'm okay with that. The only thing that pisses me off when other players are using Medic class is that when they don't revive me when they're right beside me but not to the point where I TK them.
  7. DragonOps

I apologize for making an argument with accurate sources, it seems to have put too much stress on your level of thinking. I am afraid that I have to request that you control your natural territorial instinct over a public virtual forums. Thank you.
  8. Codex561

Wow, some real arguments with facts! Didnt see that in a while. Made me rethink a bit.
    • Up x 1
  9. Konstantinn

Funny thing about medic AOE heal, a lot of people nowadays slot that useless shield deployable. Personally I never even bought it, it's so obviously inferior in every way I'm not even sure why it is in game.
  10. Pingonaut

You TK medics for not topping off your health? So entitled, expect even less support for you from medics after reading this.
    • Up x 1
  11. Genetic

So not only do i have to save your precious K/D but you want the medic to sacrifice his futher by standing there healing you.

Putting it bluntly and quoting the ingame profanity filter , you can go Higby yourself
    • Up x 1
  12. Inex

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it ever actually was reasonable. But I can see why somebody might get annoyed when they know that all the Medic needs to do is turn around and tap LMB for a half second.

What makes this dance especially fun is how you eventually get desensitized to how oblivious Medics are (not entirely their fault of course, I've spent my share of time going "I can see the skull on the minimap, where the hell is the actual body though?") that when you do want to heal somebody you can end up chasing them across half a base because it never occurs to them that heals might be available.
  13. Slat

So what I'm getting from this post is that no one expects medics to EVER EVER heal? Sweet, I can stop worrying about ever healing another player again and just being a necromancer.