[Suggestion] Medic/Engi Tool as weapons for Max.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DorianOmega, Jul 9, 2014.

1. DorianOmega

Equippable Repair tool and medic tool that could either be attached akimbo on both arms or mix and matched, the max could now be a diverse utility platform as well as a diverse weapons platform on par with something like the SCV from Star Craft or Warhammer 40k space marine apothecary, the rates of healing/reviving and repairing would be fixed to be so that 1 on there own would be inferior to even a stock tool on either engi or medic but equipping both would give a rate better then a maxed out tool, the obvious trade off would be the reduced or lack of combat capabilities.

StarCraft 1 SCV, Utility Mech
    [IMG]

Warhammer 40k Apothecary,Mark II Crusade Pattern Power Armor,[IMG]
    In warhammer 40k the apothecary actually drills through his fallen comrades power armor to extract their genetic material if they couldnt use the tools other assets to properly mend the wound, hence the big *** drill and chainsaw, plus severing limbs is considered modern medicine in the future Dark Age of 40k, you can always get a robot arm or leg though to replace said severed limb in the future.
    • Up x 1
  2. cruczi

Having repair tools in both arms is too limiting, it just doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective to be able to do nothing but tank damage and repair others. I wouldn't mind being able to equip a repair tool on the left arm though. A single 1000 cert purchase for the same output as a maxed out engi tool, but with better range.

Or better yet, think of something else than repairing to make it unique.

Medic MAX doesn't make sense to me at all.
  3. DorianOmega

You pull MAX's primarily for large fights or base defense, when better to have either tool for times when say your a max and the one infantry guy with you gets killed and you can now get him up while being able to fend people off or being able to revive 2 people at the same time or able to tank people with the increased heals, said tanking would also apply to vehicle repairs and allowing to let maxes guard and repair surrenders instead of watch them explode over giving up their max suit, more then anything this would also make not always having 2 of the same max arm the norm for every max user, the mix and match combos would allow for very diverse builds for the max compared to being the AA/AI/AG platform the max chooses to spec into and the amount of situations this could be useful for playing with, I could go on listing for there really is a lot situations this would actually be useful for (you can always change your loadout while max!), another one for ya is having both repair tools on lets you diffuse tank mines AND c4 the way people have also suggested.
  4. Tcsisek

if you do this the medic one should slowly fire a revive/ heal grenade (low ammunition (10) and 30 sec reload to make it not OP)
  5. DorianOmega

why? sounds more OP then having akimbo medic tools at the sake of not having weapons, would make the max able to heal and kill way too easily with revive or heal grenades since you can just fire and forget and just change weapons after using a revive grenade, This would also reduce the importance of the Medic;s niche in being the only class able to throw revive and heal grenades, the setup suggested would make loadout decisions and constant loadout switching less prevalent for the max which is currently IMO lacking as the max's only real role right now is akimbo equipping weapons to designate to either AA/AI/AG, very limiting the way it is right now with the lack of complexity for Max.

Keep the heal and revive grenades to medic only, if they added this the niche of those grenades still makes medic the preferred healing class over "Max Medic"
  6. NC supporter

This makes a class already super powerful even more powerful. If this happens we would either see it nerfed again which would defeat the point of having this at all or have everything else buffed which is fine by me.
  7. DorianOmega

how would it do that exactly? reducing lethality for utility would if anything make the max less "powerful" while opting for a utility play style that insnt all about killing stuff when your not repairing or healing people the way it is for the medic and engi, imagine finding a max with akimbo medic tools or repair tools and he has no buddy to help him out, hes kind of a sitting duck and free certs...

same goes if the MAX had only 1 utility equipped, hes still at an obvious damage output disadvantage and would only be useful if he had allies to support same with the way a medic and engi is now....
  8. Demigan

I like the idea. MAXes were originally mining-tools rebuild I think, so it wouldn't be strange to find repairguns on them.
    I see no reason to limit the repair/heal of the tools to below that of stock repair/heal tools. In fact I would just allow them to upgrade it normally. Having a good strong repair/heal tool is a big trade off since you'll be firing with only one weapon. all weapons on MAXes have a DPS that is lower or equal to the LMG's and shotguns their Heavy counterparts can carry, so basicly you trade in a LOT of your firepower for an expensive but durable heal/revive combo.

I expect that only good, organized squads will be capable of using this correctly. Aside from the occasional quick repair of a Sunderer or perhaps running with some tanks a real squad could suit up with several full-armed MAXes and a few who have either one repair or heal/revive tool with them. This so they can heal/revive at the front line and suck up all the damage.

Yours sincerely,
    Demigan.
  9. ColonelChingles

I'd love for one arm that could pull downed allies towards me. Sort of like a cadaver tractor beam, mostly so when I revive them they don't get gunned down instantly again.
  10. DorianOmega

Exactly, the amount of options this could open up for outfits and squad gameplay is very numerous and i think more then anything this could let players play in a purely non combat aspect that has been begged for for a long time along side being able to spec into a purely recon role like some kind of recon plane or more options for infiltrator.
  11. Akuzimo

Akimbo medic tools wouldn't work now with revive being set on the right mouse click. I suppose they could set it as the original function but then you'd get complaints about why they're different.
  12. DorianOmega

I envisioned they would just used the old revive system to which IMO didnt really needed to be changed and should be an option you could set back in the main menu.

Plus if haters are going to hate over less button pushes then that person might have a bit of the OCD going on, dont think there would be many complaints :)
  13. DorianOmega

Medic tool for power armor could also be seen as something on par with StarCraft 1 expansion Medics:

[IMG]