[Suggestion] Mechs for Planetside 2 (Pics Included)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SirCrazed12, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Gleerok

I want that
  2. GantryPengy380

No on the NC having more usability at longer ranges. NC is what most people would call the "Shotgun faction", and shotguns fail at longer ranges. Everything else is good, though.
  3. Anndgrim

The roadmap has a dislike/vote down button.
    • Up x 1
  4. Tcsisek

... True.... But there still going through with implants and look at how many down votes there are.
  5. GantryPengy380

Agreed on Lodestars, Flails, Routers, and Deliverers. Everything else is empire specific and I might like those, but the four mentioned in this reply, I'd really like to have.
  6. Rosengren

We've got the lightning as the flat, frail and fast one-person vehicle so adding an NS walker that is tall, tough and... idk what synonym for "slow" there is that starts with a T but let's go with that. Something that contrasts to the lightning by being defensive in cramped terrain could be cool. Give it a machine gun, a rocket pod and a grenade launcher as base options and top it off with the faction-specific turrets the other vehicles get as well.
  7. Goden

They still implement things that get downvoted so in the end it doesn't matter. SOE never has given a toss about what the community thinks.
    • Up x 2
  8. Tcsisek

Just like implants.
  9. Zorro

To be fair, though, they feel attached to something they spent hundreds of hours on. Granted, that effort would have been better used on something else, but to get rid of it completely at this stage would be a waste.
    • Up x 1
  10. RoAdKiLL_Perry

Actually, roadmap is to give the developers an idea on the community's reaction and see if ideas that were suggested from gamers should be implemented. If they're very sure it will work and help improve gameplay they will add it regardless of what the community says.
    • Up x 1
  11. SpartanZero

I do believe they're looking at the constructive feedback. An mostly ignoring the flat out "no" responses that have nothing to offer in constructive feedback as to why no is their response. It's the constructive feedback that helps define the balancing issue to any roadmap idea an making it flexible enough to have use an not hammer**** the existing gameplay.

So, in the end be constructive instead of railing against things. Remember, this is a re-vision of the previous Planetside 1 title, not a completely new game that simply shares the namesake. So what was in PS1, will most likely see purpose/implimentation in PS2, just with more foresight an community feedback on how to make the content blend in better without upsetting the scales of balance dramatically. While I highly doubt BFRs get re-invented an brought in, I'm still going to put in my best effort at offering my 2 cents at what I feel would be a viable balanced BFR concept.
    • Up x 2
  12. FunBotan

Jetpacks, hovertanks, VTOLs, power suits, railguns, orbital drop pods... yep, mechs would fit this list quite well if balanced, was already going to suggest them myself. Although the VS mech from the FP is something omgful, it'll get scrapped by one bullet the way it's designed. Better to make them all look similar like this or this (or the FP TR model) - everyone loves this design, and it'd fit the game itself better, imho.
    • Up x 1
  13. Tuco

It wasn't done right.

1) Instead of filling a new tactical niche, they replaced all armor/air vehicles as the go-to vehicle that does everything, kind of like liberators now.
    2) Mechs are cool when they're slow and ponderous like in mechwarrior online. Mechs are lame when they jump much faster than an ESF can fly like in PS2.
    3) They required you to grind long hours in the worse place you can find yourself in PS1: the caves.
    4) They defeated the purpose of having walls in a base. It's like introducing combat aircraft to medieval warfare, combat aircraft completely dominates bowmen and swordsmen no matter how much combat aircraft gets nerfed.
    • Up x 5
  14. SArais

That's pretty much the exact problem.

Bring back BFRs. with those 4 critera in check.

Also make the Vanu BFR less humanoid. I don't know why it irks me, but it does.
    • Up x 2
  15. RoAdKiLL_Perry

Tuco, I agree with you 100%. The Mechs in PS1 were designed wrong, not to mention the MechWarrior era is long gone which is why some mech games aren't so good. SOE has to design the mechs to be more of a support role, because they can't take a beating the way MBT's can. Not to mention the mechs shouldn't be able to jump. Trying to get a bipedal mech to walk is hard, but trying to make it jump and land on its two feet is nearly impossible.

The libs in PS2 are fine if you have an AA maxs that knows when to hide can destroy all air targets or annoy them, and a platoon of ESFs can overwhelm any enemy air targets in the area. The problem is to get someone to walk around with a big sign saying SHOOT ME NOW!!!
  16. Silvermyst

Make em' like the mechs in Tiberium Sun.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Big slow walking tanks.

Those were good times.
    • Up x 2
  17. WarmasterRaptor

Good times indeed... ah the lovely titan and his little brother the wolverine...
    • Up x 3
  18. Littleman

The lightning's armor, 30kph tops, and two weapons systems like an ESF: primary using beefier empire specific secondaries, secondary using dual rocket pods, 75mm tank shells, MBT HEAT shells, or the skyguard cannon. Make it more of a point defense tank than a mobile tank.

This is pretty much the only ground role I can see a mech taking up. Sure, we could STILL use a treaded vehicle with this setup, but it would lose its height, and the 30kph would definitely feel artificial.
  19. Maton41

While the ideas around here are sound so, I like to see the mechs set up like how MAXes are. Although if there were to be some sort of power systems for the mechs, I imagine having 2 weapons may cause power problem; therefore will cut half of your fire rates in half and you will struggle to fight anyone back than having one weapon only.
  20. RoAdKiLL_Perry

For weapons can we at least give the NC mech a railgun, the TR mech a rotating cannon, and the VS a plasma cannon (sorry couldn't think of something good for VS)? The railgun would have high damage with no splash damage, the rotating cannon would have high rpm with some splash damage, and the plasma cannon would have high accuracy with high splash damage.

The railgun is suppose to have no splash damage, because it is a magnetic weapon and doesn't use explosives at all.
    The rotating cannon uses explosives to launch projectiles and therefore can fire explosive shells with out interference from magnetic forces.
    The plasma cannon fires orbs of heated ionized gasses, doesn't use explosives, but the orb of plasma would be ruptured on impact and cause a napalm like effect (I'm a bit iffy on the last part, I don't understand plasma weaponry as well as I do magnetic and gunpowder weaponry). :D