[Suggestion] MAXes and Charge. Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Dargadon, Aug 29, 2014.

1. nehylen

I say nay to charge, though obviously there should be compensation. I like what Dargadon suggests.
    Recently there was a thread about how scary MAXes were, and one of my worst fears in this game, even if it rarely happens as it's mostly used an means for escape, is the idea that a NC AI MAX (or even double Falcons) charges for the instakill.

I absolutely detest when that happens, it feels like a checkmate even if i didn't do anything wrong in avoiding said MAX.
  2. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Frankly, I'd say a MAX suit weights a half ton, tops.
    The VS MAX looks like a Cyborg that's probably build from a lot of reactive fibers instead of servomotors, it's probably even lighter.
    Look up todays exeskeletons, they aren't that heavy.
    Charge accelerates too fast, and I'd love (I've posted that several times) to have MAXes have a tactical focus on frontal attacks.
    In the past, I suggested a turn speed speed cap (say, 20° in 100ms), with 60° freedom around the current view focus (Upper torso), allowing a 180° turn at 0.6 seconds; and in turn giving additional resistance from frontal attacks, f.Ex. +2.5% flat.

I've accepted none of that will ever happen, however, and charge itself is neither the problem, nor will it go away.
  3. andy_m

Last time I looked I was playing Planetside 2, not Planetside.

I still say a big fat NO to your suggestions...
  4. andy_m

This is exactly as it should be.
  5. nehylen

Why? A MAX is a sort of walking tank, not a walking ESF. A tank is a clunky weapon that loses lots of agility for superior resistance and firepower, and that's what a non-charge MAX is (though the resistance part is debatable). I understand that i should fear coming next to it, which i do, not that i should fear it coming next to me at a speed superior to whatever i can achieve.
    • Up x 2
  6. Borsty

A MAX has a very heavy suit and should behave in that way.
    Massive damage output (already got that), massive health (I would up that by like 50% but make it impossible to revive)
    BUT
    slow walking, no running, slow turning speed, directional armour resists
    • Up x 2
  7. andy_m

I've been using my MAX suit quite a lot in the last month or so.

The "Charge" ability only lasts for a quick burst, and once used it takes quite a while to recharge that ability. Also, if you are under fire at the time you hit Charge, the charge stops dead.

I actually find Charge more useful for avoiding C-4, not for chasing down the enemy. That's not to say that I don't do that, but it is rare.

The MAX should be feared, but to be honest, they are quite easy to put down if they are not supported by an Engi and a Medic, or two. Fear = respect, and those who do usually come out on top, by whittling away the MAX shield and health.
  8. nehylen

I know they're easy to kill with C4, or some other configuration (with my typical HA loadout: one rocket +some full auto). Can't say i don't feel vulnerable overall when i happen to play one, and that's a problem in my opinion.
  9. Akuzimo

I use Charge for two things, crossing big openings (which leads to either distance traveled or getting to cover) or peacing when I get my *** beat, which is usually when I lose a huge chunk of HP at once or start taking a rocket barrage. I wouldn't ever use it to close the distance as it's too easy to get C4'd.

Charge is fine. While your tank analogy is semi-accurate, tanks also have more HP than a MAX and have bullet invulnerability of up to anything short of a Kobalt (or whichever the High-Caliber machine gun is that can damage tanks, forgot name). I mean hell, if you're unlucky as a MAX and step on a hand grenade you'll find yourself needing an engineer very quickly, and everyone has grenades.
  10. Dargadon

Turning tables. How about adding new type of power suit (SOE, give me new HEAVY MAX class nao!)?
    • Up x 2
  11. Disconsented

How about we make the alternative's more useful