Max Spam

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by nukularZ, Aug 19, 2014.

1. nukularZ

Anyone else getting tired of the amount of maxes every faction is spamming? They're such a buzzkill to any decent fight. Armor columns get wiped out thanks to AV maxes, and indoor infantry battles become nothing more than which side has more maxes. Make them cost the full 750 and end this madness already!
  2. Dracorean

MAX's are just more useful and better than tanks, you can revive them when dead, you can swap the weapons on them, and they take more rounds than a tank would, takes around 3 to 5 ap shots from a lightning to kill one.
  3. Pikachu

About AV MAXes, that only occurs when fighting NC right? They seem to be the only ones using tveir AV weapons for AV. The closest thing from tr or vanu is tr using dual pounders, against infantry. Fracture, comets and vorextes have almost disappeard after pu2 or nevet had any popularity. Ravens on the other hand are present whenever a few NC MAXes are present, even in biolabs. They sure love their ravens.
  4. FateJH

Hear that, SOE? Buff the actual tanks.
    • Up x 3
  5. siiix

what game do you play dude ?
    or gave you not played this game in a year ?!
    there is NO MORE max spam < which is a pity really
  6. Donaldson Jones

I roll comets to kill other Maxs just not enough clip to take down a tank. If we are going to do a Lancer party we roll HA it's just more versatile and you can use a beacon.
  7. Mal

4 out of 5 times I jump in a max it's because there's a horde of scythes farming our relatively helpless ground team and I've got no other good way of dealing with them. My striker is beyond useless.
    • Up x 5
  8. Lividicus!

I have to semi agree... I do enjoy playing my Dual Pounder max but honestly it's much easier to kill a tank with my max than even with a prowler... And I don't believe that should be the way this game plays... However, it's not my game, SOE will always do what they want.

Max units have definitely become walking tanks. Whenever I see them on the battlefield I try to avoid them best as possible, unless I'm in a tank, another max, or heavy it's just not worth the trouble. Burster max units will blow your esf in around 6 seconds, or at least make you so low on HP that you've gotta scatter. AV maxes can effectively take on tanks, with the right positioning and weaponry. I cant's tell you how many times in the last week I've crouched just behind a boulder and lobbed my pounders at enemy MBTs. In addition, a well suited max can clear an entire room of infantry while drinkin' a rum and coke...

I am not an advocate of "Nerfing" the max units, because I enjoy playing them. However, I am starting to wonder if the mass max unit zergs I keep seeing are ruining the game a bit... Personally, I'd rather have a fair game that is challenging and fun for all than sit and argue about how my clearly Overpowered toy is "working as intended"....

In addition, I believe the most adequate solution is not to nerf the Max, but to maybe redesign the infantry shields and HP to make them a bit more durable. Currently, if you are playing infantry, you don't have enough time to turn around, maneuver, or react if someone shoots at you. I'm not saying if someone got the drop on you that you should win, although it would be nice to live longer than 1 second after you're spotted....

I'm sincerely hoping that's what Higby meant when stating to "tone down the lethality" of this game... It feels exactly like Battlefield, and in battlefield we aren't in the future with shields or armor.....
  9. TorigomaSET

For every MAX the other guy pulls, You can pull 6 C4. Guess how many C4 it takes to kill a MAX.
  10. Person7man

Maxes are easily spamable. Before you were lucky to see a max in a large fight. Now they're in EVERY battle. It really sucks because it forces players to either play ha/la or just due over and over again. I really hope the next resource revamp covers max spam and ESF spam, as they both are a little too powerful for what they cost ( I know maxes are 450 but members can chain 2 of them instantly and 3 of them if they survive for a while
  11. TorigomaSET

You must have a pretty short Memory then. It was rare NEVER see a MAX in a fight, no matter if it 12v12 or 48+. Heck, Even if you are Ghost Camping, Kill them enough and they where guaranteed to pull a MAX.
  12. NinjaTurtle

You've never met Emerald VS
  13. FieldMarshall

Dont worry. The resource system allowing people to spam MAXes is just part 1 of a multi-part revamp.
    Check back in about 3 years to see what they have planned next.
  14. IamnotAmazing

just make the costs of maxes 751 nanites
    • Up x 1
  15. andy_m

Yet another pathetic whining thread. These are so tiresome.

So the MAX is a great counter to your air and armour spam? That's why you want this class nerfed... so that you can continue your air/armour farming activities.

Pathetic.
    • Up x 1
  16. nukularZ

Except if you check my stats, you'll see I'm not really a tanker. I have more hours using a Sundy than a Mag and Lightning combined (not sure how but I guess deployed time counts). Nor do I really fly much anymore these days. I flew plenty a year ago, but have hardly taken to the air in the past year.

Yes the max is a great counter. But the problem is it is too great a counter. Against everything. Even if you have the AV setup, it still does relatively well AI. Even bursters can kill infantry. Calling it a counter is almost wrong (because of how well they are offensively). You can pull a max and be confident there isn't really anything that can counter you, except sheer numbers or other maxes.

I didn't have an issue with maxes before the resource update. But now when you see the mipmap filled with some many overlapping maxes, the gameplay becomes stupid because the only counter against that is... maxes? Or how about that group of maxes way up on the rock or platform over there? There is no counter against that except to just leave.

And finally, no where did I say to nerf maxes in my thread. Increasing their resource cost does not nerf the max class itself in any way.
    • Up x 1
  17. zombielores

Max spam has always been like this, but the difference now is that I can't do tank spam right after, and then air spam, and them revive grenade spam, and then c4 spam, and then concussion spam, then stocky grenade spam, and then a grenade spam, you probably get my point now, it limits other spam and forces you to spam 1 item.

Is it perfect, no, is it better, in my opinion yes (completely subjective).
    • Up x 1
  18. RomulusX

I pull Maxes due to the vehicle spam now.
  19. Mergalf

Inside: an LA C4 fairy, Engie anti-personnel + anti-vehicle mine trap, that same engie in an AP or AV turret, every other infantry class also running with 2C4, 2 HAs with rockets, if you've got a bunch of enemy MAXes holed up in a room use 2HAs with AV and conc nades, and grenade bandolier, wiping the whole room clean.

Outside: more C4 fairies (MAXes are priority targets now that shielded sundies resist us!), AV turrets, LOLpods, lib/gal bombardments, ESF/Gal explosive drops, every single enemy infantry guy within LoS unloading their mags at the MAX, or just good old "snipe the bejeezus out of them from a distance" with AP rounds or Halberds or Lancers or hell, bolt action sniper rifles and headshots (take out the engies first for bonus points).

But apart from that, you're right, there isn't really anything that can counter MAXes besides pulling your own MAXes at the exact same resource cost and demonstrating to the world just how confident of Sheer EpicNess(tm) you, too, can be!

I'm sorry, what was the point we were discussing again? My senility is acting up ;-)
  20. Aegie

That is even after the resource increase.
    All this was predictable given the resource revamp.

Force multiplier or GT*O.
    • Up x 1