MAX Aegis Shield...really?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by SkepticJerry, May 15, 2013.

1. Desann

I dont see anyone linking it yet, but here's a good youtube to show some "usefullness" for the shield. I recommend watching until the end, pretty funny!

As much as I HATE the NC...I feel the shield needs a melee ability since the left arm is useless while shield is up. Otherwise, make the shield a right handed "weapon" and allow only left arm to equip a weapon. Also, the ability to reload should be left alone, the reload is a suit automated ability, so the position of the max's arms shouldn't matter. If you think about it, the soldiers hands aren't exactly loading rounds into the weapon...

EDIT: after watching a second video...tanks need to do MUCH MUCH more damage against the shield.... come on DEVs.... how can that even make test server...a MAX arm shield absorbing tank rounds, the force alone would theoretically knock the MAX flat on his ***.
    • Up x 3
  2. Bluecricket

So, what is actually going on in the video you linked here? I haven't downloaded the giant test patch today; does the Shield now reduce damage taken instead of being an ablative barrier with a fixed amount of HP?
  3. Laraso

Am I the only NC who really loves the Aegis, in both concept and performance, and is looking forward greatly to using it once it is released?
    • Up x 2
  4. trollager

I'm also NC and I like it but it has brought to light some hitbox issues with the NC max. while crouched the legs go through the shield and the player can take dmg if shot in the legs. also another hit box issue the head hitbox on the NC max goes above the head so the enemy can shoot just over the shield wich appears to be empty space but still gets head shots
    • Up x 1
  5. Marinealver

lol I just love how everything in Planetside 2 seems like a pale comparison to their planetside 1 counterpart. Take the NC MAX shield for example
    [IMG](I know this is the TR and that is not the shield ability but that field is just the NC blue shield with a different color and not the protection.
    • Up x 1
  6. Marinealver

You should have seen what the NC MAX could do before Planetside 2.
  7. Bluecricket

So seriously, what's going on with the shield now? Is it still a flat damage absorb barrier, or is it a damage reduction shield now? This is kind of a big deal. I can't seem to actually equip the shield on my test client without a CTD, so can anybody shed some light on the mechanics of the shield? It's really not being talked up as much as it could be.
  8. Laraso

If the Nanite-Mesh Shield absorbs damage, and the Resist Shield resists damage, then the Aegis Shield is most like the Nanite-Mesh Shield.
  9. Bluecricket

I ask because the YouTube video linked at the top of this page clearly shows the MAX taking damage through the shield, and the shield itself not depleting with damage. I know it is/was an absorption barrier with a fixed amount of HP, but that video seems to indicate it doesn't have an HP pool and rather only reduces incoming damage. Which is it? I guess we won't know until test is updated again, since equipping the shield in the current test patch immediately crashes the client.
    • Up x 1
  10. Torok

here i stand with you, i just hope the absorb value will be remarkable once fully certed
  11. Liewec123

i prefer the idea of a fixed amount of HP on the shield (regenning over time) and absorbing all damage because i use nanite regen and was looking forward to sitting in a corner watching my hp going up while the TR waste their ammo :) but the absorb does look amazing (granted this will be rank 5 if its on test server so you'd expect it to be good)
    • Up x 1
  12. Goretzu

I don't mind the idea of a more situational shield than the PS1 one......... however to balance that it should be much more powerful situationally.

With the increase DPS and decrease TTK in PS2 I'm far from convinced it is (at least when you consider AoE not being blocked by it and feet and heat being hittable through it etc.).
  13. Mark467

14. Marinealver

The balance in the Ps1 was that you cannot shoot with the shield engage. It was only to smash through a plasma spam or used to ensure a sucessful retreat as the autorun system engages.
  15. Naithe

I swear we need a shield bash effect with that, let it give a concussion effect, for a second or whatever. Reduce the health of shield a bit to balance it whatever I don't care gief shield bash!

And make it protect people behind you from splash or similar.

I'm worried it would be op, but it can be balanced with max health etc. just please make the ability cool and useful.

**** why am I doing this, i'm TR and will have to face this **** later.... =P
  16. treeHamster

You guys aren't thinking well enough. It could easily make defending towers a cake walk. Think of putting Shields on the flight decks as cover for infantry to shoot vehicles. I could even see small groups of say 4-5 MAX's holding a half circle of shields with a group of 5-7 HA's hiding in the center using Phoenix's. Do the MAX's get XP, no but you forget this game isn't about cert farming for everyone. The possibilities with organized play are endless.

The lockdown for the TR is the same because they could do a line of 3-4 lock down's then have another 3-4 advance 5m to do another lock down line, and repeat just leap frogging each other.

The only one that has no real advantage in anything except lone wolf play is the VS MAX and well it's not even really worth it since charge is easier to use and doesn't light you up like a nuclear powered Christmas tree.
  17. VanuSovereignty

Will trade for ZOE.
  18. Hagestol

There there, you get to die faster and glow, but at least you kill enemies with one less bullet. No need for a shield when you have that.
  19. Naithe

Honestly I'd take it over Lockdown too, on demand movement speed for a max is huge.
  20. Messaiga

Do melee attacks actually go through shields? That would explain why melee attacks go through the NC Max Shield on the test server.