MAX AA vs Skyguard

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kittel, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittel

Range - Max
    Damage - Max
    HP - Max
    Accuracy - Max
    Velocity - Max
    CoF - Max
    Speed - Skyguard

I just bought the 2nd AA gun for my max and took it out, and holy ****, the max as far as AA is the best unit in game, the Skyguard with its massive 4 guns are nothing compared to the MAX AA's.
    • Range - of Skyguardis pathetic, cant even reach ceiling or much horizontal distance. Max A can hit halfway across the map (exaggerated)
    • Damage - on Skyguardis complete crap, unless your firing on an ESF that's point blank. 1-2 mags to kill ESF, with most hits, 5-8 to kill galaxy/Libs...5-8 magazines to kill ******* Lib and transport plane...
    • HP - MAX might have less, but it is harder to hit so it stays alive.
    • Accuracy - the Skyguardis complete crap beyond point blank range
    • Velocity - the MAX AA is near instant, Skyguardis slow and must lead target way to much.
    • CoF - Max none, shots go where you want them, Skyguard- most shot s miss because the fire is all over the ******* place.
    • Speed - Skyguard...i guess moving is good...
    AA order of effectiveness
    1. Max AA
    2. Phalanx AA
    3. G2A Missile
    4. Skyguard
    After using the MAX dual AA, I will only use Skyguard if i'm on MAX cooldown and bored.
  2. Deathcapt

g2a is Far, faaaar worse than Skyguard. Burster is def the best, because pahalax are death traps.
    • Up x 1
  3. TheEvilBlight

Phalanx's aren't reliable death traps. I had good results with them in early release, less so now.

That said, dual burster is still the best, and G2A is still the worst. Annihilator is better than the G2A missile though since it's quite zippy. Yet to put my Skyguard through its paces-I usually just give up and go straight to dual burster MAX (thank god it went on sale and I was on to buy it!)
  4. KariH

Phalanx has upgraded. I jumped one of them and nicely suprised and take esf down.

but - there are nothing who can copete with AA-max.
    • Up x 1
  5. Bloodlet

I have 1000 smed bucks sitting on my account and I have been debating whether or not to spend it on the burster max or the Skyguard. I've been somewhat skeptical of claims that the skyguard is that bad because I think a lot of people just don't know how to aim when shooting at aircraft. I haven't tried it yet myself though so I don't know for sure. You would think that 40mm rounds would put a lot more hurt on air than 20mm rounds do.
  6. TheEvilBlight

Anecdotal, but I've seen it rip an ESF from the sky when it was sitting there firing rockets (but even a G2A missile can do that..!)

I /think/ it's hit probability drops because it doesn't airburst, or it's possible I'm leading incorrectly because my muscle memory is leading as if I was using dual bursters.

The other con of Skyguard is that as a vehicle, it'll be a more obvious target to the enemy, and if vehicles render preferentially, the Liberator will see it before everything else.
  7. Phaze

Skyguard is pretty bad. It has nothing to do with people "not knowing how to aim." You're not aware of some trick... or possessing some skill that hundreds of thousands of others players don't know, or don't have.
  8. Vortok

That list doesn't look balanced, we should nerf the Skyguard.
  9. Vorpal

Skyguard is just bad.

Both AA MAX and skgyaurds need to be more effective against liberators.

I do not care about g2a launchers and AA turrets so much - AA MAX and skkyguards are dedicated anti-air units that cost certs to get and cannot do anything else, at all, period.
  10. TeknoBug

Let me put it this way, the Skyguard was one of the first vehicle weapons I unlocked when this game released, and I used it a grand total of 3 times up to today.

However the next big game update patch is going to address the Skyguard, but in what way I wonder.
  11. Ghostfox

A few things that don't make sense about the skyguard:

A: Why does this thing have so much recoil? It is a small calliber round(compared to the size of the platform). It should be solid and stable.. not to mention that it has a barrel stabilizer ala the real world AA guns that it is modeled after.
    B: The Long Range accuracy of the thing. There is no reason for the bullets to spread out to a profile larger than a galaxy at 200 meters.
    C: The slow projectile speed of the rounds
    D: The low blast radius and detection radius to trigger blasts that the rounds have.
    • Up x 3
  12. Bloodlet

Actually I would be willing to bet that I do. I played WW2OL for a long time where there is a lot of airpower in that game and projectiles last for a very very long time allowering you to engage people are stupid ranges (dots on the horizon). I got very good with shooting down air in that game and at much further ranges than there is in PS2. So please tell me more about how much you know about my skills and experience.

Edit: To add, you would be surprised at how often people complain about not hitting aircraft and me and others in the outfit telling them to lead the target a lot more and hearing that person suddenly go "Oh, there we go!"
  13. Dubious

I used Skyguard yesterday and nothing has changed
    Its still utterly useless
    Yes I killed some ESFs, but thats cause they were so reckless they hovered, fairly close
    The bullets have shotgun spread, so 1 of 10 bullets will actually hit where you aim
    Bullet speed is sloooooooooooooooooooow
    NO FLAK!!!!!!!!!
  14. Purg

Our Platoon captain described the Skyguard perfectly;

"It's like trying to aim a high pressure garden hose at a bird while holding it three feet back from the nozzle"

Possibly one of the best analogies I've ever heard.
  15. Ghostfox

Just as an exercise in futility and curiosity, I came across a liberator that was hovering at ~400 meters away. Three hundred bullets later, I couldn't even land a single shot.
  16. Goden

As of right now the Basilisk is 4x a better AA weapon than the Skyguard.
  17. {joer

Skyguard needs a tighter COF and greater range. Thats about it and it would be fine.
  18. Kittel

its damage is extremely low, lowest of all AA even the walker (and that think is pathetic as well, mostly due to the snail speed of the projectile) the max AA does more damage and its a smaller weapon caliber, barrel length, etc.

Personally, I would like to see Phalanx turrets being the best most accurate, farthest range, highest damage AA weapon, followed by skyguard very closely, then a tie with the A2G Missiles and Max AA.
  19. Autarkis

DB MAX is the only viable AA right now, and by "viable" I mean "still not effective but at least it doesn't make you want to set anything on fire."
    • Up x 1
  20. running_t4rg3t

Agreed.

It could also stand a secondary lock on missile system as an unlock.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.