[BUG] Massive Frame Drops

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Xboxer

A drop in frame rate in the same places, looking at a big fight, for example, a very strange stutter ...

The game engine definitely can’t cope with the innovations ...
    • Up x 1
  2. InexoraVC

For those who have low CPU/GPU load and low fps in large battles.
    Try turn ON the smoothing. This MAYBE will force the CPU and GPU higher load and MAYBE there will be no situation when you have 45% CPU/GPU load and 45 fps.
    I'm testing this "fix" the second day. Looks promising.

useroptions.ini settings.
    [Rendering]
    Smoothing=1
    SmoothingMaxFrameRate=144
    SmoothingMinFrameRate=100

Where
    SmoothingMaxFrameRate is the frequency of your display (Hz)
    SmoothingMinFrameRate should be ALWAYS higher than the lowest FPS in 96+ battles. This setting forces CPU/GPU loads.
    Try and feedback pls.
    • Up x 1
  3. TRspy007

So far it works pretty nice,

I've adjusted it to match my specs (I am using a laptop :()

So max for me is 240
    and the min is 80 just so it doesn't explode.

Works pretty well, thanks for the tip!
  4. InexoraVC

Great this helps!
    It demonstrates flaws in engine optimizations. But it obvious :)
    • Up x 1
  5. KhlorosTesero

idk if its a bug, or if its just really poor optomization, but if its any concolation, on my 5k x 1440p monitor, powered by 20 GB of ram and a 2080 super, i still get drops into the mid 30s and 40s, rarely will it stick to 60 FPS.
  6. Liewec123

i've been getting this too,
    i had a moment of insanity and purchased a monster PC last year (Corsair One i170)
    (i9990k + 2080TI both liquid cooled, 32gb ram)
    and i can be playing buttery smooth at 150fps at 2k on ultra and then suddenly
    it'll become ridiculously choppy and then go back to being smooth.

could this be a bastion bug?
    i don't remember this happening before the past month or so.
  7. InexoraVC

Many says this bug appeared after on of the Escalation patches

Turning ON smoothing does help (for me) but can not be considered as a solution. In large VEHICLE battles AND when I drive a vehicle I see this bug.
    Few minutes ago on Indar@Miller:
    FPS 64, GPU Load 56%, CPU load total 38%, 4 cores of 12 do nothing (0% load), other cores 48-72% load,
    used 13.2Gb of 32 Gb RAM

According to https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/frame-rate-smoothing.155313/ "SmoothingMinFramerate - The game will try to avoid smoothing when under this frame rate." This statement means to load your GPU/CPU you should lower this value.
    BUT! It has to be tested on live servers.
  8. DonkeyX

Late reply, but I am playing on a similar setup; Dell G5 Gaming laptop with 9750H, RTX 2060 and 32GB RAM. What I found was the video card would throttle under heavy load and then stay stuck at 30fps for no apparent reason. Temps were fine. The problem was that the Dell 180W power adapter wasn't pushing enough to keep the system running at full performance during gaming. I swapped it out for a 240W adapter and haven't had a single issue with throttling since.
    • Up x 1
  9. InexoraVC

Yep, it happens to laptops. But I don't think all the participants of this thread have the power issues. For example my PC allows me to play well Doom Eternal with much more load on GPU/CPU. And it passes all the "maximum power" tests (AIDA, OCCT, Prime etc).
    I think the problem is the game itself, may be graphic optimizations, may be network servers latency/lags...
    • Up x 1
  10. InexoraVC

I regret to admit that turning on the Smoothing does not help to solve the problem with a MASSIVE fps drop.
    Yes, Smoothing makes fps more stable, but under severe conditions (96+, vehicles) I can see fps going down to 35 while very low CPU/GPU load (about 40-45%). Changes in graphics settings (reolution, details) have no effect on this drop.
    This appears in prime time on continents that are close to max population limit. Doesn't matter what continent or what base on continent - only the number of units matters.
    I think this FPS drop caused by client-server data communication bottleneck.
    No data sent from the server - no data to process on client side, no data to display.
    • Up x 1
  11. TRspy007

It is a problem caused by the servers, but in terms of the random fps drops during low pop fights or in certain areas of the map, it did help a lot.

Even during the massive frame drops due to that DX11 bug, I found it wasn't as bad. I noticed an average 10 fps increase in those situations.

Where I would reach below 70, I now stay closer to 80.

OFC, I guess results can vary.

Maybe solve is too big of a word, but it does improve the situation.
    • Up x 1
  12. TRspy007

Did you under-volt your CPU and GPU?

I'm running with a 240W adapter and a -0.15mv CPU under-volt, battery doesn't drop below 90%.

Temps stay around 80 C.
  13. InexoraVC

Have tried the settings below and recieved stable frametime, e.g. no FPS jitter (for example 130 fps for 1 sec and 45 fps for next 1 sec).
    Now I have ~60 fps in large fights (48..96+ and vehicles) but they are stable and the game runs smooth. My maximum FPS is limited to 90, but it is ok.
    CPU/GPU load still low (down to 35%) in large fights.

[Rendering]
    Smoothing=1
    SmoothingMaxFrameRate=90
    SmoothingMinFrameRate=20

P.S. Before the Escalation patches I had 80..90 fps in large fights and 120..140 fps in 12+ fights. Now we have what we have :(This is obvious the engine/server problem. No response to my ticket from devs. Thanks RPG :(
    • Up x 1
  14. TRspy007

Today something really weird happened, was at bitol, it was a 24 vs 48 fight, so a small-medium size fight. It was impossible to play, my frames were going below 27! And I wasn't the only one experiencing this.

I then moved to ixtab which was a 48 vs 48 (turned into a 96 vs 96 a few minutes later), and my fps was back at 100+.

Very weird.
    • Up x 1
  15. InexoraVC

Time to open support ticket
    • Up x 1
  16. InexoraVC

By the way (for the history) tech support couldn't help me.
    To find out if there are any performance bottlenecks with my SSD (texture/shaders loading/caching) , I installed the complete game on a RAM disk since I have 32 Gb of RAM.
    And everything is the same - frame jitters in large vehicle fights whilst CPU and GPU load is below 45%.
    My opinion - this is the server problem.