Massive FPS drop for a few seconds

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Zombo, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Zombo

Ok, so this is happening all the time, it doesn't matter if i am inside the Warpgate or outside, how high i set the settings or how low, it always happens:

Every ten or twenty seconds, even if the game ran at 30-40 fps before, it suddenly completely stops everything and 0 fps for a few seconds

and i tried almost everything like:

-Giving the anti-virus an exception for Planetside2.exe
    -Unparking my CPUs
    -Setting the max ram for a program to 3072 or 2500 MB
    -using nvidia beta drivers (its not the GPU though)
    -setting the draw distance to under 1000 (tried really low values like 200 and less, still the drops)
    -raising the virtual ram windows can apply to 20Gigabyte on two different Harddrives (only using c showed improvement though)
    -setting shadows to 0 and lighting to zero

As far as it goes, these helped me alot getting good FPS in big and medium fights without trouble, always around 20-30-ish, which is enough for me most of the time, in small fights about 50fps and the game goes from cpu bottleneck into gpu bottleneck
    I really have no idea what it could be, any ideas?

Ah yes, my Rig is:
    AMD Phenom II X2 545 (3.0 Ghz)
    GeForce 9600GT (1GB)
    4GB DDR2 Ram 800Mhz (2x 2GB)
    SATA Harddrive 360GB
  2. NeonDrache

I hearing different things on this one, from a failing hard drive to thrashing to an error report being constantly generated. It's happening to me too, but it certainly is not a failing drive on my end.
  3. BenYeeHua

Check your internet connection, it might be happen most of the time in battlefield.
    I always facing this when my family is downloading, and after they finish downloading it.
    The delayed packet and normal packet receive at the same time, so I first saw the player is running repeat and normal.
    And after that, freeze, need reopen it.
  4. cann0nf0dder

i would blame the 9600gt for those slowdowns, had the samue issue back then with an 8600gt with some 3d games ...
    2d and win desktop worked fine, but when playing some 3d games, it was playing fine for 10-15secs, then a 5 sec freeze, then it would work fine for another 10-15 secs and then taking another 5 sec break ....

graphic card was broken, sold to someone who wants it for his office pc, still working fine there, but won't do any 3d shooter or the like xD
  5. BenYeeHua

Ya, but not a 650m for me....
    I always see that when 500+ people is coming.
  6. The King

I would also blame it on the GFx card.
  7. heneo

Same thing happens to me and its getting really annoying.

Can happen within 5 mins of starting up PS2 or an hour into a play session but once it starts its pretty consistant and happens every few mins.
    When it happen I loose 20-30 fps for about 10 seconds then it restores to normal, I usually get 50-60fps in the warpgate going down to about 30fps in big fights so when this kicks in it usually means im dead if im fighting. Just for clarity the game does not freeze up or crash its the FPS dropping.

I kept open my system monitor last time I was in game and noticed at the same time the fps drops my CPU usage jumps by 20% ish then the second it returns to normal my CPU goes back to normal too.

Used to get this back in November but it was quite rare and a patch in December seemed to fix it but since the last hotfix it has returned with a vengeance and happens every time i play.

System specs:
    AMD FX 4100 Quad 3.6GHz
    8 GB RAM
    GeForce 9800 GT (using lastest driver 310.90)
    SATA HDD 1TB
    Win 7 64bit
  8. hostilechild

My son use to get this occassionaly on his older machine with a 9800gtx. Gave him my slightly old but newer for him 560gtx and the problem went away (except large firefights with huge explosions it would pause at times). However since the last patch it has started to happen more and more to point he quit playing, even in small fights. He is hoping the January 30 patch for lower end systems helps out as he has a older cpu but capable of 45fps in med fights with few explosions. Infantry Explosions, and air2air missile hitting his plane means fps 0 for 3-4seconds and he dies. (last one kind of makes me think sound related).
  9. BenYeeHua

Ya, I hope too, but I wonder why it is written as help low end "GPU" not CPU...
    Maybe it help much on GPU but not CPU?
    I hope so.
  10. Zombo

Okay, i'm gonna wait until the January 30th patch, and since people tend to get this problem with old Nvidia cards maybe i'll get a new one soon after

It's just weird to have the game run at 30 fps and extremely good, not even GPU capped and then having the GPU being the problem...